What To Do With Monthly Savings?

Currently just banking 25000-35000 bht each month into Bangkok Bank. Never been too savvy with money/investments to be honest, so hoping you experts out there might suggest some (low/med risk options)

Thanks all.

Luang.

I am stashing some in a Thai credit union (tax free on the interest) and putting some back into the market in the US.

Tax free options are good like mentioned above.

I prefer the share market. Paying off debt is good, or depositing in a high interest account is ok.

If you are smart, a business can make more return than any normal investment.

Rather than just putting it in an a savings account, why not open a Long Term Fund account...

Bangkok Bank Long Term Fund

Contributions are tax deductible (so long as you are working in Thailand)

Allowances (Exemptions) allowed for the calculation of PIT:

Long term equity fund ---- Amount actually paid at the rate not more than 15% of wage, but not exceeding 500,000 baht

Thai Revenue Department

So if you can invest 300,000 and you are in the 30% tax bracket, that means you would receive a tax refund of 90,000 the following year when you file your taxes. Also unlike IRAs in the US, you do not need to wait until you retire to have access to your funds... you only have to wait 5 years.

My excess salary is about the same, it goes into my AUS savings account @ 5.5% PA.

Can money be transfered from Thailand to OZZIELANd J.I have some more bonds ready to be cashed and dont know whether to invest or use for my monthly spend and leave my stocks and shares/bonds annual transactions,its only about a million baht and 25,000 baht a month but u know i dont spend money on a whim lol lol

My excess salary is about the same, it goes into my AUS savings account @ 5.5% PA.

Can money be transfered from Thailand to OZZIELANd J.I have some more bonds ready to be cashed and dont know whether to invest or use for my monthly spend and leave my stocks and shares/bonds annual transactions,its only about a million baht and 25,000 baht a month but u know i dont spend money on a whim lol lol

Most I have transferred in 1 month is 100k, was no probs, my AUS account is linked to my Kasikorn account, all done online and the funds show in my AUS account within an hour or 2.

Most I have transferred in 1 month is 100k, was no probs, my AUS account is linked to my Kasikorn account, all done online and the funds show in my AUS account within an hour or 2.

Even though i am a brit ?????

Even though i am a brit ?????

Yes, no problem.

Opening an account in Aussie was also no problem, just need to supply the usual documents.

In Thailand BKK Bank will give you 3.5% less 15% tax, so annualised 3% on a five month deposit, with no currency risk if you intend to spend in Thailand.

And TMB will pay 2.5% with no tax deduction up to 10,000 Baht interest for an instant access passbook account. Two free withdrawals/month after which you get hit for 50 Baht or so for each subsequent withdrawal.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

If this monthly saving is money you don't need access to in the medium term, then I recommend the Sin Mattaya monthly fixed saving a/c. Its a fixed account that requires monthly feeding - you determine how much to put in from the beginning, and then each month put in the same amount. It comes in terms of 2, 3, 4 and 5 years and is currently paying 3.5% for the 3 year option. The account has a maximum deposit amount ceiling of 600,000bt - if you were depositing 25,000 per month, then the 2 year option suits you best (24x25,000). The returns are not taxed. There are certain penalties if you cease depositing to the account, but also some grace periods that give a month or two of flexibility. You can fund this account with a standing instruction from your savings account, or alternatively do it using internet banking. I set one of these up last month and use the recurring transfer on internet banking to fund it.

If this monthly saving is money you don't need access to in the medium term, then I recommend the Sin Mattaya monthly fixed saving a/c. Its a fixed account that requires monthly feeding - you determine how much to put in from the beginning, and then each month put in the same amount. It comes in terms of 2, 3, 4 and 5 years and is currently paying 3.5% for the 3 year option. The account has a maximum deposit amount ceiling of 600,000bt - if you were depositing 25,000 per month, then the 2 year option suits you best (24x25,000). The returns are not taxed. There are certain penalties if you cease depositing to the account, but also some grace periods that give a month or two of flexibility. You can fund this account with a standing instruction from your savings account, or alternatively do it using internet banking. I set one of these up last month and use the recurring transfer on internet banking to fund it.

Can you give me any more info on this A?

Thanks guys for your contributions. Reading with interest, keep em coming.

Luang

Luang

don't pick up that advise, what you are currently doing is the best option available for your risk appetite: conservative savings book in thailand nominated in thai baht. Do not get into any fixed contracts!

Luang

don't pick up that advise, what you are currently doing is the best option available for your risk appetite: conservative savings book in thailand nominated in thai baht. Do not get into any fixed contracts!

Interesting PCA. Care to elaborate?

Luang

I've copied the info from their website below - as I said before, its good if you are comfortable with the duration of the fixed term - it sounds like it suits you because it accumulates new balances each month:

To open a Sinmathaya Subthawee deposit account you'll need an initial deposit of between 1,000 Bt and 25,000 Bt. After that just add monthly installments for whatever amount you choose. The minimum period is two years.

Interest will be added to your account on a regular basis so you will earn accumulative interest on your earnings, all of which is tax free. Terms and ConditionsYou can open a Sinmathaya Subthawee deposit account for a 24-month, 36-month, 48-month, or

60-month term.

Interest is paid gross without withholding tax. The monthly deposit must be at least 1,000 Bt and not exceed 25,000 Bt. The total amount must not exceed 600,000 Bt. To open an account you will need the following documents:

• Your citizen ID card or other government ID with your photo on it
  • Passport and work permit (in the case of an expatriate)
  • Your tax payer identification card

You need to make your deposit no later than the last working day of the month.

• If you miss more than two deposits, you will lose the tax benefits of this account, but you are still eligible for the interest rate according to terms and conditions.
  • If you miss more than four deposits, you will lose the tax benefits of this account and the interest rate will revert to that of the savings rate.
  • You are able to close the account only when the deposit matures. If you make a withdrawal prior to the maturity of the account, you will not be eligible for the tax exemption but you still earn the same interest as in a savings account.

To open a Sinmathaya Subthawee deposit account you'll need an initial deposit of between 1,000 Bt and 25,000 Bt. After that just add monthly installments for whatever amount you choose. The minimum period is two years.

Interest will be added to your account on a regular basis so you will earn accumulative interest on your earnings, all of which is tax free. Terms and ConditionsYou can open a Sinmathaya Subthawee deposit account for a 24-month, 36-month, 48-month, or

60-month term.

Interest is paid gross without withholding tax. The monthly deposit must be at least 1,000 Bt and not exceed 25,000 Bt. The total amount must not exceed 600,000 Bt. To open an account you will need the following documents:

• If you miss more than two deposits, you will lose the tax benefits of this account, but you are still eligible for the interest rate according to terms and conditions.
  • If you miss more than four deposits, you will lose the tax benefits of this account and the interest rate will revert to that of the savings rate.
  • You are able to close the account only when the deposit matures. If you make a withdrawal prior to the maturity of the account, you will not be eligible for the tax exemption but you still earn the same interest as in a savings account.

60-month term.

If you can make regular savings each month and want reliable returns, the Sinmathaya Subthawee deposit account is for you. You'll earn the going rate higher than a fixed deposit account.

Interest will be added to your account on a regular basis so you will earn accumulative interest on your earnings, all of which is tax free.

Terms and Conditions

You can open a Sinmathaya Subthawee deposit account for a 24-month, 36-month, 48-month, or

60-month term.

Interest is paid gross without withholding tax.

The monthly deposit must be at least 1,000 Bt and not exceed 25,000 Bt. The total amount must not exceed 600,000 Bt.

To open an account you will need the following documents:

•Your citizen ID card or other government ID with your photo on it

•Passport and work permit (in the case of an expatriate)

•Your tax payer identification card

•If you miss more than two deposits, you will lose the tax benefits of this account, but you are still eligible for the interest rate according to terms and conditions.

•If you miss more than four deposits, you will lose the tax benefits of this account and the interest rate will revert to that of the savings rate.

•You are able to close the account only when the deposit matures. If you make a withdrawal prior to the maturity of the account, you will not be eligible for the tax exemption but you still earn the same interest as in a savings account.

Yep, but not with the BKK bank savings account.

TMB @ 2.5% if you need instant access

BKK Bank 5 month if you have 200,000 or more @3.5% less tax.

What bank are you using? I like this option because I need someplace to hold emergency cash in Thailand that is very liquid, but still earns some decent return, while at the same time picking up my excess monthly income. This seemed ideal with the tax break. My bank told me that this was only open to Thais because of the tax savings – it was a policy to get Thais to save more.

Generally, I push really hard when I hear this and demand answers and will usually call HQ – I hate the only Thai nonsense response, but this was my friendly local lady banker who always helps me – she does my money transfers, helped me get my credit card, let's me cut the line (likes to practice her English with me, so wants to be sure she I use her desk) – she has never given me anything less than excellent service and always tried to get things done for me.

Edited by Furbie

Bear in mind that the bank savings options listed here will keep your money safe but basically earn you nothing given the inflation rate in thailand and australia.

If you want to actually make a proffit- stocks are the way to go- read up, research and start playing the market.

Yes, no problem.

Opening an account in Aussie was also no problem, just need to supply the usual documents.

In Thailand BKK Bank will give you 3.5% less 15% tax, so annualised 3% on a five month deposit, with no currency risk if you intend to spend in Thailand.

And TMB will pay 2.5% with no tax deduction up to 10,000 Baht interest for an instant access passbook account. Two free withdrawals/month after which you get hit for 50 Baht or so for each subsequent withdrawal.

Unless the OP is an Aussie like you, this is a high risk investment due to the currency risk. For the extra couple of percent interest, it is not worth it unless you need to use Aussie dollars. As an American, I deal only in two currencies, USD (long term savings) and THB (short term savings) - I would have hedged more and have some long-term savings in Thailand, but the US government makes it more difficult every day with the tax implications. A Birt would be well advised to use GBP and THB, etc.. Chasing savings rates in currencies you will not use is very dangerous if you should need those funds and the exchange rate goes against you.

My missus is telling me her Thai term deposit pays over 4%

Great info that we can all use.whistling.gif

Maybe you could tell us which bank and which term deposit?

Yes I can. She just sent me details. 4.1%. I am off to the bank this weekend to take advantage.

What bank are you using? I like this option because I need someplace to hold emergency cash in Thailand that is very liquid, but still earns some decent return, while at the same time picking up my excess monthly income. This seemed ideal with the tax break. My bank told me that this was only open to Thais because of the tax savings – it was a policy to get Thais to save more.

Generally, I push really hard when I hear this and demand answers and will usually call HQ – I hate the only Thai nonsense response, but this was my friendly local lady banker who always helps me – she does my money transfers, helped me get my credit card, let's me cut the line (likes to practice her English with me, so wants to be sure she I use her desk) – she has never given me anything less than excellent service and always tried to get things done for me.

I opened my account at Bangkok Bank. There doesn't seem to be any restriction regarding foreigners.

If this monthly saving is money you don't need access to in the medium term, then I recommend the Sin Mattaya monthly fixed saving a/c. Its a fixed account that requires monthly feeding - you determine how much to put in from the beginning, and then each month put in the same amount. It comes in terms of 2, 3, 4 and 5 years and is currently paying 3.5% for the 3 year option. ...................

What bank are you using? I like this option because I need someplace to hold emergency cash in Thailand that is very liquid, ....................

I wouldn't call a fixed term account with a minium of 2 years very liquid?

My missus is telling me her Thai term deposit pays over 4%

Great info that we can all use.whistling.gif

Maybe you could tell us which bank and which term deposit?

Yes I can. She just sent me details. 4.1%. I am off to the bank this weekend to take advantage.

Jeeze,

Well come on then, spill the beans.

Just tell us where this offer is available, stop keeping it all to yourself, there aere others who may be interested in a slice.

Unless the OP is an Aussie like you, this is a high risk investment due to the currency risk. For the extra couple of percent interest, it is not worth it unless you need to use Aussie dollars. As an American, I deal only in two currencies, USD (long term savings) and THB (short term savings) - I would have hedged more and have some long-term savings in Thailand, but the US government makes it more difficult every day with the tax implications. A Birt would be well advised to use GBP and THB, etc.. Chasing savings rates in currencies you will not use is very dangerous if you should need those funds and the exchange rate goes against you.

I ain't no Aussie mate! I'm a Birt (sic).

Unless you are convinced that the Bernank and your frustrated Tim have your personal interest at heart and will act to ensure that the USD reverses its long decline and zero return, I suggest that not to diversify in currencies is the worst possible plan. If I had steadfastly support Merv and the Squib over the years, I would now be very considerably worse off.

Over the years moving between the AUD, SGD, CHF,EUR, USD, AG and AU and of course our utterly overvalued (but not IMO) THB have provided excellent stability and sheltered me from the lunatics running the shows over in Euroland, UK and US.

And I do not see any change in US policies coming along anytime soon. ZIRP, QE and more UST's to fund the deficits will continue to send the USD further down. Confiscating even more of your personal wealth, as Greenspan said.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

If this monthly saving is money you don't need access to in the medium term, then I recommend the Sin Mattaya monthly fixed saving a/c. Its a fixed account that requires monthly feeding - you determine how much to put in from the beginning, and then each month put in the same amount. It comes in terms of 2, 3, 4 and 5 years and is currently paying 3.5% for the 3 year option. ...................

What bank are you using? I like this option because I need someplace to hold emergency cash in Thailand that is very liquid, ....................

I wouldn't call a fixed term account with a minium of 2 years very liquid?

From Teach Me Finance: liquid assets -- the total amount of funds that are in the form of cash or can quickly be converted to cash. These include (1) cash; (2) demand deposits; (3) time and savings deposits; and (4) investments capable of being quickly converted into cash without significant loss, either through their sale or through the scheduled return of principal at the end of a short time remaining to maturity.

I ain't no Aussie mate! I'm a Birt (sic).

Unless you are convinced that the Bernank and your frustrated Tim have your personal interest at heart and will act to ensure that the USD reverses its long decline and zero return, I suggest that not to diversify in currencies is the worst possible plan. If I had steadfastly support Merv and the Squib over the years, I would now be very considerably worse off.

Over the years moving between the AUD, SGD, CHF,EUR, USD, AG and AU and of course our utterly overvalued (but not IMO) THB have provided excellent stability and sheltered me from the lunatics running the shows over in Euroland, UK and US.

And I do not see any change in US policies coming along anytime soon. ZIRP, QE and more UST's to fund the deficits will continue to send the USD further down. Confiscating even more of your personal wealth, as Greenspan said.

Currency is one of the worst possible investments - it is speculation at its worst. Ask any company that got destroyed or nearly destroyed during the financial crisis because they borrowed in USD and had to pay back in THB.

There is no reason whatsoever to diversify currency beyond where you live and where you plan to retire for ex-pats (unless you’re in the Philippines or someplace similar). Any non-commission based financial planner will tell you this (or else run for the hills). It is so risky that companies take out contracts to protect against exchange rate risks when doing business and payment date is set for future dates. To open yourself up to exchange rate risk to earn a couple of points in interest is a bad decision, especially as part of a long-term investment plan.

12 years ago studying for my Masters and they were predicting the dollar’s demise – and if you read back further they still said the same thing. It has not happened yet. And if you really think the AUD of SGD is the world reserve currency of the future, good luck to you. My money is invested where I plan to spend the bulk of it it. If the USD economy goes down for the count, what do you think will happen to everyone else?

My currency risk is diversified between Thailand and the US, as these are where I live and the two places I will split my retirement. I have further diversification in a global mutual fund as a hedge.

Currency is one of the worst possible investments - it is speculation at its worst. Ask any company that got destroyed or nearly destroyed during the financial crisis because they borrowed in USD and had to pay back in THB.

Yep, that was stupid. Happened in Argentina and a few other places. And there is a small issue developing in eastern Europe where mortgages were taken out in CHF. Very bad decision.

There is no reason whatsoever to diversify currency beyond where you live and where you plan to retire for ex-pats (unless you're in the Philippines or someplace similar).

Well, I have retired to live in Thailand. But I have no intention of bringing all my assets over here. That would be stupid.

It is so risky that companies take out contracts to protect against exchange rate risks when doing business and payment date is set for future dates. To open yourself up to exchange rate risk to earn a couple of points in interest is a bad decision, especially as part of a long-term investment plan.

12 years ago studying for my Masters and they were predicting the dollar's demise – and if you read back further they still said the same thing. It has not happened yet.

http://finance.yahoo...l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

I would call 21% loss in USD's against the THB over five years a slow demise, and likely to continue as Thailand is putting up interest rates and has a strong export led economy.

And if you really think the AUD of SGD is the world reserve currency of the future, good luck to you. My money is invested where I plan to spend the bulk of it it. If the USD economy goes down for the count, what do you think will happen to everyone else?

My currency risk is diversified between Thailand and the US, as these are where I live and the two places I will split my retirement. I have further diversification in a global mutual fund as a hedge.

I have never claimed that the AUD or SGD are to become the reserve currency. But diversifying into other Asian economies where the main growth for the next few years lies satisfies my need to manage risk and earn more interest. And if the SHTF then I can always go and take long holidays in Oz.

The Bernank wants a weak USD, Tim wants a weak USD and the USG is certainly doing its best to push the USD down with the humongous deficits.

And on the other end of the lever the Bank of Thailand has been trying to slow the rise in the THB by buying large amounts of USD's, making a huge loss, although I am not sure how that exchange rate loss actually plays out in the general economy.

But I am not trying to win anybody on to my side, I am happy with my asset management, which has performed well for me. And presumably you are happy with your finances.

Horses for courses.

Furbie, on Today, 11:25 , said: Currency is one of the worst possible investments - it is speculation at its worst.

right you are! my stupid speculative investments in different currencies which i started 35 years ago and in which i invest till this very day (presently 11 different currencies) has caused a lot of hardship, id est i couldn't enjoy working till regular retirement age which i reached 2 years ago but was forced to retire 22 years ago.

oh boy! how i hated these years without a job, lazing at the pool, reading books to fight boredom, lusting for the boobs and the butt of my Mrs, travelling to dozens of different countries and envying those of my friends who were lucky being able to work. but i can't be blamed... i don't have a master's in economics.

av-11672.gif

"12 years ago studying for my Masters and they were predicting the dollar’s demise – and if you read back further they still said the same thing. It has not happened yet. And if you really think the AUD of SGD is the world reserve currency of the future, good luck to you. My money is invested where I plan to spend the bulk of it it. If the USD economy goes down for the count, what do you think will happen to everyone else?"

Twelve year ago [July 1 1999] the Aussie dollar was worth 0.647 US and is now at 1.075 US, the New Zealand Dollar was worth 0.529 US today it is worth 0.85 US. So I know where I would prefer to have my $$. But then maybe you don't think a 60% drop is significant.