Os X Lion Installed

george

Started downloading Lion on Macbook Pro and iMac last evening and let it download overnight. Installed it on both machines this morning. The second download was free of charge (same Apple ID), Thanks Apple!

Two Lion issues so far:

1. Problems with LastPass in Safari, works ok in Chrome and FF

2. Scroll bar in Safari is to thin, miss it with the mouse all the time

Positives:

1. Systems feels faster, surfing feels faster

2. Love the fullscreen mode (in Safari and iTunes etc)

Haven't played around much with the other stuff yet.

Just installed it also.

Lots of stuff is new and takes getting used to.

- I already knew that but they inverted scrolling - like on iOS, instead of moving a scroll bar down, for example, you move the *content* up. This takes getting used to but will surely be great with the trackpad. It makes sense. (Can be turned off if you hate it)

- Three finger swipe now changes spaces - this drives me nuts as I used to use it for the "back" function in Safari and other apps, and it's super useful. But, fear not, it got replaced by a two finger swipe - but the trick is, in line with scrolling, that's also inverted. Going back was three finger swipe from right to left, now it's two fingers from left to right - beautiful animation of the last page sliding in eases the pain.

- Launch Pad and Mission Control - no idea whether they'll be good but I spotted a bunch of apps in Launch Pad I wasn't even aware I had, and subsequently deleted

- New Mail. Fantastic. Way, way better, with conversation views just like GMail. Main reason I jumped the gun so early.

That's it for now. Oh yeah I had a Citrix VPN driver go wild and use 100% CPU, I don't use Citrix so I just uninstalled that. Chrome crashed but that was because I had disabled auto-updating. Adium also crashed but seems fine now. Java had to be re-installed but that went without a hitch - seamless even.

Contrary to the advise from Apple, you don't need the latest version of Snow Leopard to install Lion. Made a copy of the Lion install on a DVD and stuck it in a computer with a new disk. It took some time to download some additional data and then installed Lion with no problems.

More:

- Safari seems to love to reload tabs when I click on them. That's very annoying because the main reason I like to load up many tabs at once is that I don't want to wait for them to load...

- There's a special "join this network" popup window when we encounter a user name / password secured WiFi network, same as on the iPhone. That's very nice. The way it should be.

As with most updates to an OS, there's a variety of responses from apps many of us already have running.

To check out the latest info regarding which apps work, which don't work at all, and which might be showing problems, take a look at: Mac Lion Apps Working?

I'm holding off as I can see several things I use regularly aren't working under Lion.

Installed it on both my iMac and MB Pro over Snow Leo. No problem so far except some apps (that I didn't used so much) rejected in a "Unsupported Apps" folder.

Great to use with the Magic Trackpad. I use the mouse only for games.

Edited by Nawak

So far so good but turned off the conversation tool in Mail straight away as it is set to default. Got myself in trouble with that one in Gmail before !!!

Like the full screen view in Safari.

Not sure about the new gestures yet but getting used to it.

Anyone got some good lion tutorials or tips'n'tricks pages?

Took me a while to find out how to turn off full-screen in chrome ... great feature but that miniscule delay for the menu to drop down is just one minuscule too long when you wanna close tabs.

Edited by SoloFlyer

As with most updates to an OS, there's a variety of responses from apps many of us already have running.

To check out the latest info regarding which apps work, which don't work at all, and which might be showing problems, take a look at: Mac Lion Apps Working?

I'm holding off as I can see several things I use regularly aren't working under Lion.

Just noticed my VLC media player doesn't work now

Mine works. Try latest update for VLC.

I did the update yesterday and have generally been ok with it. I spent some time going through and turning off options that I don't need such as launchpad and mission control and a number of the swipe options.

As noted above, Safari does have a tendency to reload the tabs which I find annoying.

The only app I have found that doesn't work with it so far is the SRS iWow plugin for iTunes. My version of VLC works fine since I have updated to version. 1.1.11.

Lion is definitely more sluggish on startup and shutdown that Snow Leopard was. Even as I am typing this, there is often a short delay between the time I type a word or phrase and when it appears in the window.

Guess we'll just have to see how it goes over the next few days.

David

To all who experience sluggish performance: Leave the system running for a few hours. It rebuilds the spotlight index which uses a lot of CPU and hard disk and takes a few hours. Took 3 or 4 hours even on my SSD.

After that... it's fast.

PS Tabs don't seem to reload anymore?! Loving the new Safari, it feels way faster than before. Undoubtedly because rendering is now done in background threads so the UI always remains responsive.

The only thing I really hate is the Finder's new sidebar. Absence of colors or icons means it takes me forever to find anything there. <deleted> were they thinking?

Edited by nikster

Found a solution for the slow shutdown and boot up on the Apple forums. It also speeds up the general performance as well.

First, use the disk utility to repair permissions. Once that is done, go to /Library/Cashes and delete everything that is in it and restart the system.

That is essentially what you do if you use a utility like Onyx to maintain your system. I would normally use Onyx for this but the version for Lion is still in beta.

I too noticed that Safari was not doing the tab reloading. No idea why but I'm happy it stopped.

I agree with nikster. The loss of color in the sidebar is annoying.

David

Found a solution for the slow shutdown and boot up on the Apple forums. It also speeds up the general performance as well.

First, use the disk utility to repair permissions. Once that is done, go to /Library/Cashes and delete everything that is in it and restart the system.

That is essentially what you do if you use a utility like Onyx to maintain your system. I would normally use Onyx for this but the version for Lion is still in beta.

I too noticed that Safari was not doing the tab reloading. No idea why but I'm happy it stopped.

I agree with nikster. The loss of color in the sidebar is annoying.

David

I also discovered that deleting caches greatly helped the startup time. The first startup after deleting caches might be a bit slow as the system has to rebuild kernel caches, but the second restart for me was at least twice as fast, and about as fast as startup was in Snow Leopard. I used the beta version of Onyx to clear caches (I'm lazy), and it works fine with Lion.

I had this problem trying to install the downloaded Lion software:

"cannot verify may be corrupted" (something like that)

Now I cannot reinstall at App store as it say I have it already installed.

Have tried Option key without success.

Anybody got any ideas (have trashed and deleted the original)

I'm a new MacbookPro owner and have some concerns about updating my OS to Lion. I read so many posts from people who seem to know a lot about the ins and outs of software. I do not.

I wonder if there's someone out there I could hire to come to my home, help me download and tweak my system with me and teach me a bit along the way?

Or, of course, I'm open to other suggestions.

I'm in Bangkok near the BTS line.

thanks,

seeker (seeking)

I had this problem trying to install the downloaded Lion software:

"cannot verify may be corrupted" (something like that)

Now I cannot reinstall at App store as it say I have it already installed.

Have tried Option key without success.

Anybody got any ideas (have trashed and deleted the original)

Here's the solution

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3194267?start=0&tstart=0

There's actually 2 ways: Either this:

When your in the app store go to the purchase tab and press the alt (option) key at the same time as you click on the purchase tab.

or this:

The installer should be sitting in your applications folder. Delete it and then download again. It worked for me.

The installer file is called "Install Mac OS X Lion.app". Delete it manually from your /Applications folder.

Edited by nikster

• 2 weeks later...

My VLC media player worked perfectly without tinkering with any settings! (On a Mac Mini, as well as MacBook Pro.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using a Macbook Pro 13" for 4 months and was impressed by the Internet browsing speed compared with Windows xp.

Is Lion a free, seamless upgrade for existing OS 10.6.8 users? At the end of the day is it really worth the hassle of downloading, installing and tweaking-out the inevitable quirks?

It's not free. I'm not an early adoptor of any OS. I wait until all the programs are updated and the operating system has been out for a while. I don't really like being a beta tester anymore. But upgrades on Macs are usually very easy and seamless. I may update soon though as I have got quite a few software updates lately. You should run software update from your systems preferences panel. You should also open disc utility and run verify disc permissions once in a while. Especially after you update the OS.

Edited by Jimi007

Lion works fine for me. I had problems with LastPass also but they have been resolved as LastPass released an update for Lion and the latest version of Safari and it works fine.

I love how if you burn the DMG file of Lion to a DVD and reinstall then it works fine but if you restart the Mac and hold down Control and R to access the recovery partition and select the same option then it forces you to verify yourself on the App Store and download the software directly.

No wonder they started marketing an official USB stick with Lion on for this very purpose.

Lion works great. I have never had a Mac before. I did a fresh install on a custom built Windows PC. It took a little work, but nothing a geek can't handle. Now I have to figure out why I want to run Lion. I just don't know what I can and can't do as opposed to Windows.

My system hand built by myself:

Intel i7 2600k 3.4GHz CPU w/stock fan

Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 motherboard

HIS Radeon HD 5750 1GB graphics card

8GB Kingston DDR3 1333 RAM

64GB Kingston SSD hard disk for Windows7/Mac OS Lion/Ubuntu

2TB Seagate Caviar Black had disk for data

320GB Seagate Caviar Black hard disk for back ups

BTW, I can't stress SSD's enough. This is my first SSD. I have been running SATA drives in RAID 0 for the last 10 or 15 years (well, ATA before SATA) and I loved the performance, be damned the risk. But SSD flies. I will grab an identical SSD and stripe them in RAID 0 next week. I installed Lion on the empty SSD in 6 minutes from start to finish from a 16GB flash drive. Windows installed slower, but it boots almost instantly, I think under 20 seconds. Amazing.

Lion works great. I have never had a Mac before. I did a fresh install on a custom built Windows PC. It took a little work, but nothing a geek can't handle. Now I have to figure out why I want to run Lion. I just don't know what I can and can't do as opposed to Windows.

My system hand built by myself:

Intel i7 2600k 3.4GHz CPU w/stock fan

Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 motherboard

HIS Radeon HD 5750 1GB graphics card

8GB Kingston DDR3 1333 RAM

64GB Kingston SSD hard disk for Windows7/Mac OS Lion/Ubuntu

2TB Seagate Caviar Black had disk for data

320GB Seagate Caviar Black hard disk for back ups

BTW, I can't stress SSD's enough. This is my first SSD. I have been running SATA drives in RAID 0 for the last 10 or 15 years (well, ATA before SATA) and I loved the performance, be damned the risk. But SSD flies. I will grab an identical SSD and stripe them in RAID 0 next week. I installed Lion on the empty SSD in 6 minutes from start to finish from a 16GB flash drive. Windows installed slower, but it boots almost instantly, I think under 20 seconds. Amazing.

Didn't you have to install OS 10.6 and then update to 10.7 (Lion)? By the way there's a 10.7.1 update...