Big A/C Bus From Koh Samui To Ranong

I've heard there is a big A/C bus from Koh Samui to Ranong, or at least from Surat Thani to Ranong. Does anyone have any information on where (Koh Samui? Surat Thani?) it departs and what times? Same for return trips from Ranong to Koh Samui? I'd like to avoid minivans or minibuses if possible.

I have used this bus 5+ times

It leaves at 8.30am (one per day) from Surat town government bus station, the larger depot - located 100m down the soi opposite the smaller bus station ( the one that has local buses to the train station and the free bus to tesco lotus ). It also calls briefly at the big out of town long distance station, but never seems to pick anyone up, just does some paperwork.

Cost is 190b payable on the bus, no tickets at the desk, don't buy from the many agents asking "where you go". It is a big AC bus, 40 people, takes 4 hours, nice scenic journey. It returns from Ranong every day at 2.00pm.

• 7 months later...

Has anyone done this on a motorbike?

Know someone who does this on a big bike, regularly ... very do-able .... does an over-nighter ... Not something for a Honda Click, or smaller bikes..... PCX or other bigger bike would do it!

You can run into rain going through the mountains.... so I hear!

Might try it my self one day, supposed to quite nice trip / area from reading other forums about the area.

To the OP, nothing wrong with Government Buses, sorry cannot help in how to locate the Suratthanii Bus station, local agencies & taxi drivers, seem not to want to tell, if you ask, I guess they don't make a commission!rolleyes.gif

Have ridden this trip many times on a NSR and CBR 150s, both quite capable even though I'm 110kg. Can be a VERY wet trip as Ranong one of the highest rainy days per year towns in Thailand.

I believe there are 2 buses per day each way. Can't remember exact times, but I missed the earlier bus and caught one around 11, and it was definitely more than 4 hours. We spent nearly 30min buggerising around thru the back streets of Lang Suan. It can be caught anywhere along the main street of Surat, from opposite Phantip Travel offices or further north. Just look for the bus with RANONG on the front and flag him down. Buy ticket on the bus!!!!!

I don't think its possible to catch the first ferry and make it to the early bus. the 11 bus got me there too late for a run and/or it was pouring rain, so did the Myanmar boat the next day, back on the 11 bus, and too late at Surat for the Samui ferry. 2 night away makes it a long trip.

Alternative is to take bus from Samui to Had Yai from bus station NaThon. Get off outside Tesco and catch a local bus to Pedang Besar (it will be crowded but empties out) which will drop you at border crossing. You have enough time to get stamp and pick up same bus (stop opposite) as it goes back to Had Yai. One night in Had Yai and bus back to Samui next day. Actually works out cheaper and less time away.

Edited by OzMick

Wife and I did it on a Honda Wave 125 once, nice ride if you are not in a hurry, if we ever do it again it will be on a bigger bike.

Nice work fella, how long did it take you to get there from getting off the ferry from Samui? What's the petrol situation like, many of them?

• 1 month later...

Do this trip every 2 or 3 weeks. Not on bike Iadmit. Great road. Bit boring for the first sector to Surat but next 3 sectors awesome. Surat to Khao Sok national park. Possible stop over. Khao Sok to Khura and then Khura to Ranong. Scenery changes all the time. Mountains, 2 sectors, can get rain. Roads mostly good and getting better. Watch out for dogs on a bike. Also children.

On a bike depends on what speed you ride for first sector. Through Surat if you cruise less than 120k