Sticky Rice Cakes

slim

Does anyone have a recipe to make sticky rice cakes? These are the rice cakes you see on the streets and at all the fairs in Thailand rather than the "khanum" type?

I know there's more to them than just sticky rice pressed into burger shapes, painted with butter and shoved on the grill as I've tried them many times and they always turn out like granite.

Whats the secret?

Anyone know?

(I believe coconut milk is involved but I don't know where)

Soak the rice over night, then cook in the micro wave , when cooked shape the rice into burger shapes and let cool, you can put egg on when you barbecue if you want and add salt

you can also barbecue the rice straight from the micro wave and same again add egg and salt as required.

The rice can be cooked by steaming but this process is harder

Edited by Thongkorn

Soak the rice over night, then cook in the micro wave , when cooked shape the rice into burger shapes and let cool, you can put egg on when you barbecue if you want and add salt

you can also barbecue the rice straight from the micro wave and same again add egg and salt as required.

The rice can be cooked by steaming but this process is harder

I only ever make khao neow by steaming but making sticky rice is not the problem. There IS a technique involved in making khao neow cakes. Its not simply a matter of shaping the rice into burgers and throwing them on the barby. The street ones are soft and spongy - your method makes the cakes crisp/hard and solid - they're not the same.

• 2 weeks later...

My mother in law uses the day-old cooked rice. She makes it into egg-shaped mounds and then dips them in a mix of salt, beaten egg and coconut milk before grilling over the coals.

This is not how I've seen it done but the ones in this video look more like the ones I've seen on the street. http://www.mayajo.com/video/grilled-sticky-rice-with-egg-17106