Finding Vitamin B3 (Niacin) In Phuket

modafinil

I'm looking for somewhere that sells vitamin B3, but I'm not having much luck. There are plenty of pharmacies selling a "Vitamin B complex" that includes B3, but I can't find one that sells just B3 on its own.

I've tried Watsons and both branches of Boots in Jungceylon Patong, but no luck there.

Sorry, bit of an esoteric question, but somebody out there might know :)

If you eat some of these products, you will have your B3 fix.

Niacin is found in variety of foods, including liver, chicken, beef, fish, cereal, peanuts and legumes, and is also synthesized from tryptophan, which is found in meat, dairy and eggs.

Animal products:

Fruits and vegetables:

Seeds:

Fungi:

No need for a farmacy. :)

And if you have a couple of beers,you will also get

B1, B2 , B5 , B6, B9, B12.

Edited by Semper

Thank you for your suggestions regarding the vitamin stall in Tesco Lotus - I will go and have a look later today!

That's a very generous offer snamos - I'm pretty sure that vitamins are WAY more expensive in Thailand than in other countries, so if I could PM you in a few days that would be great - thanks :)

I normally charge a couple of beers for my little runs to and from aus, I am between thai and aus once a month, so its easy for me,

Thank you for your suggestions regarding the vitamin stall in Tesco Lotus - I will go and have a look later today!

That's a very generous offer snamos - I'm pretty sure that vitamins are WAY more expensive in Thailand than in other countries, so if I could PM you in a few days that would be great - thanks :)

yeah and your right about the vitamins costing heaps more in thailand, omega 3 can be around 500-600 baht for a jar of 400pills in aus, in thailand its 1500 and you never know if its the real deal.

Sure enough, the GMC stand in Tesco Lotus was selling Niacin - seems to be the real stuff :)

The bottle I bought will last me for the next 3 months - hopefully I'll get the chance to buy you a couple of beers in the not too distant future though snamos!

Thanks for your help everyone!

out of interest how much did it cost and how much (tablets/powders) was in the bottle? Also what was the brand name?

Sure enough, the GMC stand in Tesco Lotus was selling Niacin - seems to be the real stuff :)

The bottle I bought will last me for the next 3 months - hopefully I'll get the chance to buy you a couple of beers in the not too distant future though snamos!

Thanks for your help everyone!

out of interest how much did it cost and how much (tablets/powders) was in the bottle? Also what was the brand name?

500 baht for 100 tablets containing 250mg of niacin (nicotinic acid). The tablets were GNC's own brand, manufactured in the US and imported over here, and no doubt heavily taxed by Thai customs.

The niacin is the normal (fast release, causes a flush) variety. Apparently the slow-release formulations are more likely to cause liver damage - my liver has taken enough of a beating over the years :)

Out of curiosity, why would you like B3 in form of tablets? :)

B3 is a bit more powerful than most vitamins, try googling "Niacin Flush". It has some interesting positive effects on the human body, but only when taken at a fairly high dosage.

Is B3 the one that is reputed to stave off Alzheimers? Not an idle enquiry as my old man and both his brothers contracted that dam_n illness in their 80s.

I was hoping it was one of the other Bs, many of which are in beer as listed above (and present big time in real ale). I might already be mega-protected if that is the case!

Edited by SantiSuk

Super Cheap ( main branch ) has Thai brand supplements.

It is located on rte 402 on the right side heading into Phuket Town from the north.

As you come off a big hill with the Wat on the left , looking to the right , it is next to an Exxon gas station and a Goodyear tire outlet.

Be aware this place has no air conditioning, ( But the pharmacy section is A/C ) so go on a cloudy day and never- ever on a weekend.

You can also get all kinds of western food stuffs. Super Cheap It carries EVERYTHING

Is B3 the one that is reputed to stave off Alzheimers? Not an idle enquiry as my old man and both his brothers contracted that dam_n illness in their 80s.

I was hoping it was one of the other Bs, many of which are in beer as listed above (and present big time in real ale). I might already be mega-protected if that is the case!

It would not surprise me - smoking cigarettes is obviously stupid and will on average take several years off your life, but one of its few redeeming features is that it contains nicotine, which is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor. What's that? Basically it increases the amount of dopamine available to your brain at any given time. Dopamine helps you to focus and concentrate.

Altzheimers is essentially a chronic lack of dopamine, and the body naturally decreases dopamine production at around 10% a decade. Since niacin is nicotinic acid, there is every possibilty that it helps stave off altzheimers.

From my experience of being around old people, almost invariably the smokers had the best mental functions - laughing, joking and showing a degree of sharpness unusual for their age. Of course, lung cancer kills a substantial percentage of smokers before they have a chance to get old!

^ Should we all be chewing nicotine gum?

I have read nicotine is actually a miracle drug, calms you when you need it , or speeds you up.. It seems to be a " smart " compound.

I think use of aluminum in our environment, anti- perspirants, cooking utensils, etc. is a factor in Alzheimer's.