Son Born In Florida, Usa From A Thai Mother

adammaam

My Thai wife delivered our beautiful son in a Florida Hospital. Can my son be a thai citizen (dual citizen) and own land/property in Thailand when he grows up. I am a US citizen and my wife is a thai national. Thank you everyone for this awesome forum.

Congatulations !

You should go to the Royal Thai Consulate nearest to you and get a birth certificate . Then you can apply for a Thai passport for your son . He will probably need a Thai name .

Happy days .

A Thai name? Really? Not necessary if born in Thailand, so why if born somewhere else?

When going through the process in Hong Kong the Officer said my son should have a Thai name as well as the name first chosen by my wife . So during the time it took we found a Thai name for him , something relating to the day he was born . The folks at the Hong Kong Royal Thai Consulate are the only ones who call him by that name . I didn't want to challenge them as to why it was nescessary . It might even come in handy one day .

Your child is Thai, you only need to get the US brth certificate and with that both of you can apply for a Thai birth certificate at the Thai embassy (or general consulate). For the correct procedure, look at the embassy webiste. It is not that difficult. At the same time you can apply for a Thai passport.

No need for a Thai name, but you will need to translate the name into Thai, as the Thai birth certificate is in Thai language.

Once you have the Thai birth certificate the child can own property in Thailand, including land. No need for a person to be an adult. Property of children are maneged by the parents, but for certain actions, like the sell or renting out of land or houses belonging to the child, the parents need prior permission of the Thai court. The Thai courts protect the intrests of the child in this way.

Just did it for our daughter in the last year here at the Thai embassy in Washington, DC. I had to get the US birth certificate certified first at the state of Virginia Vital Records Dept and then certified again by the US State Dept. We then took it to the Thai Embassy and they made a Thai birth certificate. She has a western first & last name. My wife had to translate daughters name and mine phonetically into Thai. The Embassy kept the certified US documents for their file.