Suvarnabhumi Airport Celebrates 5th Anniversary

webfact

Suvarnabhumi Airport celebrates its' 5th anniversary

BANGKOK, 5 September 2011 (NNT) -Suvarnabhumi Airport is hosting an event called ‘5 years blooming orchids at Suvarnabhumi Airport’ to celebrate its 5th founding anniversary, during which all the terminals will be decorated with Thai orchids of different species and vibrant colors, making visitors feel even more welcome.

According to Airport of Thailand (AOT), as 28 September 2011 is the fifth anniversary of the opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport, the AOT has begun to celebrate this special occasion by hosting an event called ‘5 years blooming orchids at Suvarnabhumi Airport.’ The agency has decorated the terminals with Thai orchids, world renowned for their beauty and colors; representing the beauty, freshness, and bright future of the airport.

The event is aimed at creating the ambience of the land of smiles and hospitality for travelers. A number of activities have also been organized for travelers to enjoy and participate in.

In addition, the AOT has also joined hands with King's Power, the duty-free shops, in holding another great event under the title of “5 power 5@Suvarnabhumi Airport” to thank travelers for their patronage. Travelers can, during the event, avail themselves of the extra discount offered on all products and join the various games with a chance to win prizes worth altogether more than 1 million THB.

The event now being held, beginning on September 1, will run through November 15 2011.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-09-05 footer_n.gif

Congrats. Great airport.

I actually flew out on the first day, UA 852 BKK-NRT on Sep. 28, 2006, ~ 07:00. Ticket was purchased ~ 6 months before so it was a fluke.

And by another fluke of scheduling, I will be arriving Sep. 28, 2011 ~ 23:15 on UA 837, NRT-BKK.

Edited by lomatopo

They should take a cue from Changi airport and have tons of orchids everyplace EVERY DAY! Maybe then the terminal wouldn't seem quite so drab and dreary?

Suvi is an uninspiring airport. No sense of actually being in Thailand once you arrive. Decor is minimal. Thai architecture is barely evident. I think it is a very "cold" airport. I miss Don Muang. But I do like Suvi's closeness to Pattaya and one does get out of Bangkok faster from Suvi. As an engineer that goes to Thailand on holiday, I have no real complaints with Suvi ( after they got the restroom situation cleaned up.) As a soon to be senior, I would say the long distances from a ticket counter down the causeways to the gates are excessive. As a non-consumer, I hate all the "shopping" spaces, but that does not cost me any money.

Theres a scary thought...king power offering discounts and "playing games" I wonder if "Tony" the police "translator" will be around....:whistling:.......1st prize from King Power will be getting accused of shop lifting from duty free..

I dont know how people can compare Changi and Swampy...there is no comparision.....Changi is a good airport and swampy is a "half finished" industrial site :lol:

:bah:

I've never been fond of Suvarnabhumi and I'm happy to admit it.

For one thing that so-called Post Modern Warehouse Design of the terminal never impressed me.

Niether did the intention of making the international airport for Bangkok more of a shopping area with airline terminals attached to it do anything for me. For that reason I mostly avoid buying any of the over-priced goods in the airport shops, also.

To me it's just a necessary evil I have to pass through going in and out of the country, a place to get out of as soon as possible.

Now if the Airport Authority of Thailand wants to see the best airport in Southeast Asia from the viewpoint of convenience for TRAVELERS not shopkeepers, all they have to do is look at Changi airport in Singapore.

Suvarnabhumi isn't even close.

:bah:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Changi is a nice airport, no question. It is always winning "Best of..." awards. They've managed to expand it in an organized fashion, so that it is the fifth largest (pax handled) in Asia. SBIA is the third largest. Being just an International airport obviously offers many, many advantages.

From WiKi...

Since its opening in 1981, the airport has made its mark in the aviation industry as a benchmark for service excellence, winning over 360 awards since 1981, including 27 'Best' awards in 2009 alone. Changi Airport's efforts to counter the onset of age include periodic physical upgrades to its existing terminals, building of new facilities and the provision of a high level of customer service.

However, just T3 at Changi has almost the same amount of retail space as all of SBIA. When you add in T1, T2 and the Budget Terminal, you're looking at double the amount of retail space. Not that this is a bad thing, IMO.

From Wiki...

In terms of sales, the airport outstrips other shopping malls in Singapore, including those in top tourist spot Orchard Road. The Changi Airport Group derives 55% of its total annual revenue from non-aeronautical sources,[58] such as office and warehouse rental. The airport derives the majority of its commercial revenue from the duty-free shopping, with the most popular items being liquor and tobacco, perfume and cosmetics, and luxury goods.

Finally adding the MRT spur to Changi ( ~ 2003) some 20+ years after opening is a huge plus.

Suvarnabhumi Airport is like a hospital to me... clean, spare and clinical.

Which is a shame because Thailand is so rich in their culture. They should start thinking about stamping their rich cultrual print into their architect, designing something that reflect all things Thai. At the moment, it's just grey hard concrete...it could be any airport in the world.

At the moment, it's just grey hard concrete...it could be any airport in the world.

Agree, it's not the best looking in the world, but still does the job for me and better than most airports in Europe.

Oh and BTW I don't think it's fair to always compare to Changi (which I don't like).

Yermanee :jap:

Suvarnabhumi Airport is like a hospital to me... clean, spare and clinical.

Which is a shame because Thailand is so rich in their culture. They should start thinking about stamping their rich cultrual print into their architect, designing something that reflect all things Thai. At the moment, it's just grey hard concrete...it could be any airport in the world.

Can you share any ideas on how the rich Thai culture could be stamped on an air terminal? Or re-stamped on SBIA? I'm not sure I understand if you mean the exterior grounds, exterior architecture, interior architecture or interior design?

I think there are some major architectural elements which reflect Thai culture. The overall plan, when viewed from above reveals the pattern of the lotus blossom,

The flower’s rich symbolism has embellished Thai literature since ancient times. The lotus is associated with heavenly beings. Many Brahman goddesses have lotus blooms in their hand when portrayed in paintings. A variety of water lilies share the same Thai name as the lotus.

Bang Phli also hosts a sacred annual Lotus Flower festival.

Not that passengers get to see them but there are extensive gardens and traditional Thai buildings surrounding the main passenger terminal building.

To me, the exterior elements of the concourses, with the peaked triangular glass elements evokes Thai architecture. I find the exterior amazingly cool looking, and at night it is even more dramatic.

For the interior I think the goal was to balance openness, spaciousness, natural light yet control energy costs. Obviously there are a lot of constraints but I think they did a pretty decent job.

I guess I'm hard-pressed to think of an airport which evokes local culture more than SBIA? Maybe you could share examples of other airports which meet your criteria, and/or offer an example of how SBIA could better reflect Thai culture?

I am not sure about the lotus blossom and its link to the architecture of the airport (the first time I have heard of it). Surely it's a failing of the designer as no one would think about this link at all just by looking at the airport.

The interior architect could have incoporate some Thai cultural heritage into the design... the mural of the wall could have depiction of Thai history for example..some wood carving or Thai arts reflected on the design... why just concrete gray wall....what is so Thai about it?

That is my impression anyway. The dismal feeling as I wait at the departure hall.... cold and unwelcoming.

If my memory serves me correctly, the old airport has much more character and style... thai style anyway.

Edited by hands22

I am not sure about the lotus blossom and its link to the architecture of the airport (the first time I have heard of it). Surely it's a failing of the designer as no one would think about this link at all just by looking at the airport.

The interior architect could have incoporate some Thai cultural heritage into the design... the mural of the wall could have depiction of Thai history for example..some wood carving or Thai arts reflected on the design... why just concrete gray wall....what is so Thai about it?

That is my impression anyway. The dismal feeling as I wait at the departure hall.... cold and unwelcoming.

If my memory serves me correctly, the old airport has much more character and style... thai style anyway.

Hmmm, there's a ton of murals throughout the airport, some wood-carvings, the Milk Ocean statue.

The old airport DMK always seemed so dingy, dirty, dank and dated to me. (OK it was 50 years old.) Maybe it was just the bad lighting, low ceilings, shabby carpeting and dank smell? It has been refurbished in the past few months so maybe it's looking better? I honestly can't recall any Thai character or style in DMK, other than it looked like a typical run-down building or housing estate which are prevalent here?

Any other airports which reflect a local style which you would contrast with SBIA?

I'm struggling to think of any airport I've been to anywhere in the world which in any way reflects the local culture and architectural styles. It's a functional building and functions well. The problems are all down to slow moving people.

The old airport had shorter walks etc, but was short of space. I generally prefer the new one. I just wish they would reopen the bar with the view of the tarmac.

I'm struggling to think of any airport I've been to anywhere in the world which in any way reflects the local culture and architectural styles. It's a functional building and functions well. The problems are all down to slow moving people.

The old airport had shorter walks etc, but was short of space. I generally prefer the new one. I just wish they would reopen the bar with the view of the tarmac.

Actually pier F that is the new terminal building part of terminal 5 at Stockholm/Arlanda Airport in Sweden reflects pretty well with Swedish culture and architecture.

It's a shame that not just pier F but the whole airport is one of the most boring airports in the whole world.

SBIA is quite boring too but it's a relief to arrive there and walk around. It suits me better...

I transferred this Tuesday from Stockholm heading to Hong Kong and will arrive again next Monday.

I just hope that theres no long waiting lines at the immigration in the middle of the day. Cross my heart...

The concrete grey is the link you are seeking. Take a look at all the government offices and buildings.