Married Thai Girl In U.K

norrona

not sure if this is the right forum but I was led to believe if married in U.K then divorce has to be done here?

It seems the most important thing for her at the moment is to go back to Thailand a.s.a.p!

I am worried if I just let her go she will dissapear which selfishly could hold my life up, not that I plan to or have anyone else for the moment.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

If you are legitimately married, then you can secure a dissolution in any location where you have achieved residency, however, different jurisdictions require different time periods to become a resident.

You are not being selfish by fearing that your spouse could disappear and thereby create difficulty in your quest to end your marriage. It's a legitimate concern if she is the type that could vanish because you would then be faced with the issue of how you would effect service of the documents required to commence the dissolution process. If the two of you are still in the UK, I strongly suggest you retain counsel, start the process and get her served. Then if she wishes to return to Thailand she can and you will be able to proceed with the dissolution.

Edited by venturalaw

Above is sound. However, if she registers the marriage in Thailand you will be able to divorce much cheaper and quicker in Thailand. A divorce in Thailand takes only about 20 minutes, provided you both agre to a divorce, and would be free.

A lawyer would only be needed if there are children or if there are assets to divide, to make an agreement that can be entered with the divorce.

Above is sound. However, if she registers the marriage in Thailand you will be able to divorce much cheaper and quicker in Thailand. A divorce in Thailand takes only about 20 minutes, provided you both agre to a divorce, and would be free.

A lawyer would only be needed if there are children or if there are assets to divide, to make an agreement that can be entered with the divorce.

Absolutely Thailand is the better choice of jurisdiction for all of the reasons stated. Simpler, cheaper, faster.