Thaksin To Visit Cambodia This Friday : Hun Sen

webfact

FUGITIVE EX-THAI PM

Thaksin to visit Cambodia this Friday : Hun Sen

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will make his visit to Cambodia this Friday to join the Asian Economic Future Conference, not to negotiate with Cambodia on oil and gas issues, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday.

"Thaksin's visit plan to Cambodia was scheduled before the official visit plan of the newly elected Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who will visit Cambodia on Sept. 15," he said during a graduation ceremony of 4,100 students at the National University of Management.

"But the visit of Thaksin on Sept. 16 and stay until Sept. 24 is to join Asian Economic Future Conference, organized by the Royal Academy of Cambodia, not to talk with Cambodia on oil and gas issues," Hun Sen was quoted by China's state-owned Xinhua news agency.

"Thaksin has no duty to negotiate on oil and gas deal and other issues with Cambodia at all as it is the duty of Thai government, not Thaksin," said the Khmer premier.

Cambodia and Thailand entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) regarding the area of their overlapping maritime claims to the continental shelf in June 2001, setting out an agreed area to be delimited and an agreed joint development area (JDA), but the talks was in limbo during the former Thai government under Abhisit Vejjajiva's administration.

Hun Sen said that so far no any agreement reached on oil and gas deal talks between Cambodia and Thailand.

The premier said that during the visit, Thaksin would give a lecture on Asian Economics on Saturday at the Peace Palace. "After that, I will officially greet him at the Peace Palace and we talk on economic development," he said.

He added that he would play golf with Thaksin on Sunday and on Sept. 24, Cambodian and Thai parliamentarians and high-ranking officials would play football together at Phnom Penh's Olympic Staduim.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-12

Seems to me Hun Sen is making a lot of denials around over the oil & gas concessions, therefore logic would dictate the the concsssions are on the agenda, why make these statements if this is a non-issue....:whistling:

The lady doth protest too much...

Further if the MOU was signed in 2001, How can Abhisit administration be blamed for talks going into limbo, ... ?...:blink:

Cambodian premier says Thai ex-PM Thaksin to visit

PHNOM PENH, September 12, 2011 (AFP) - Fugitive former Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra will visit Phnom Penh this week for the first time since his sister took power in Thailand, Cambodian premier Hun Sen said Monday.

Thaksin will arrive in Cambodia on Friday, Hun Sen said, following Yingluck Shinawatra's one-day official visit on Thursday. A meeting between the siblings would risk inflaming Thailand's political divisions.

The controversial former Thai prime minister, who was ousted in a 2006 military coup, is due to play golf with the Cambodian leader and address the Asian Economic Future Conference during his trip.

"Apart from being a friend, I will officially host Thaksin as a guest speaker," Hun Sen said at a graduation ceremony.

Thai-Cambodian relations have appeared to stabilise since Yingluck took power, after an eruption of deadly military clashes on their shared border earlier this year.

Hun Sen, who has described Thaksin as his "eternal friend" said last month that the "nightmare" of strained ties with Thailand was over and vowed to work with Bangkok to resolve the row, which centres around a 900-year-old temple.

The Hague-based International Court of Justice in July asked both nations to withdraw military personnel from around the Preah Vihear temple complex, although neither side has pulled out yet.

Yingluck's rapid rise to victory in Thailand's July 3 election marks a comeback for her brother, who lives abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption and also faces terrorism charges over last year's political unrest in Bangkok.

The former telecoms tycoon is widely believed to wield influence over his sister's fledgling government, which has already drawn fire over opposition claims it helped him travel to Japan recently. The government denies intervening.

Thaksin is due to fly to the northwestern city of Siem Reap, Cambodia's popular tourist hub, on September 24.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-09-12

the visit of Thaksin on Sept. 16 and stay until Sept. 24 is to join Asian Economic Future Conference, organized by the Royal Academy of Cambodia

Does anyone know anything about this so-called Asian Economic Future Conference?

Outside this article, there was absolutely no information about it anywhere that I could find. :unsure:

Even the organizer's own website makes no mention at all of this event. :blink:

Another feather in Thaksin's cap? A keynote speaker engagement for a fluffy non-event.

"Cambodian and Thai parliamentarians and high-ranking officials would play football together at Phnom Penh's Olympic Staduim."

that's the way to solve economic problems and progress talks over joint development area. :rolleyes:

who wins the match, sets the future

"Cambodian and Thai parliamentarians and high-ranking officials would play football together at Phnom Penh's Olympic Staduim."

that's the way to solve economic problems and progress talks over joint development area. :rolleyes:

Now that they are Thai parliamentarians, will Team Red be playing in their Sponsored By Thaksin football jerseys?

TeamThaksinFootball.jpg

Stop drinking....!

the visit of Thaksin on Sept. 16 and stay until Sept. 24 is to join Asian Economic Future Conference, organized by the Royal Academy of Cambodia

Does anyone know anything about this so-called Asian Economic Future Conference?

Outside this article, there was absolutely no information about it anywhere that I could find. :unsure:

Another feather in Thaksin's cap? A keynote speaker engagement for a fluffy non-event.

Well it could be that The Nation has screwed up again. The First Asian Economic Conference was organised by the University of Cambodia on the 24/25th October 2005 in Phnom Phen.

Presumably the Secretary General of ASEAN at the time, Ong Keng Yong found it important enough to attend. The 7th Asia Economic Forum was organised by the University of Cambodia as well. Do you detect a pattern here?

This was held on the 25th July 2011. Again the ASEAN Secretary General, H.E. Dr. Surin Pitsuwan deemed it important enough to go to and in fact delivered the keynote speech. Representatives from UNESCO, The World Bank etc were also there. http://www.uc.edu.kh/sub/press/994/

Interestingly enough I can find no mention of the latest conference due on the 16th, but I think that seeing that there has been 7 previous conferences there is likely to be an 8th.

Well it could be that The Nation has screwed up again. The First Asian Economic Conference was organised by the University of Cambodia on the 24/25th October 2005 in Phnom Phen.

Presumably the Secretary General of ASEAN at the time, Ong Keng Yong found it important enough to attend. The 7th Asia Economic Forum was organised by the University of Cambodia as well. Do you detect a pattern here?

This was held on the 25th July 2011. Again the ASEAN Secretary General, H.E. Dr. Surin Pitsuwan deemed it important enough to go to and in fact delivered the keynote speech. Representatives from UNESCO, The World Bank etc were also there. http://www.uc.edu.kh/sub/press/994/

Interestingly enough I can find no mention of the latest conference due on the 16th, but I think that seeing that there has been 7 previous conferences there is likely to be an 8th.

I think you're talking about a different conference.

What I found for the conferences you cite was for something called the Asia Economic Forum.

link for their 2005 event:

http://www.aef.org.kh/kampuchea_thmey_daily_in_english.htm

If you have any link specifically for the Asian Economic Future Conference at any time, it'd be appreciated, because, as mentioned, I didn't find anything about it during any year.

I think you're talking about a different conference.

What I found for the conferences you cite was for something called the Asia Economic Forum.

link for their 2005 event:

http://www.aef.org.k..._in_english.htm

If you have any link specifically for the Asian Economic Future Conference at any time, it'd be appreciated, because, as mentioned, I didn't find anything about it during any year.

Well the other paper confuses it even more. Their first paragraph refers to the Asia Economic Forum (AEF) Conference and then later refers to Hun Sens quote above about Asia Economic Future Conference.My hunch is that Thaksin will be attending the Asia Economic Forum conference whatever it's called, the one organised by the University of Cambodia and the AEF. We shall see no doubt on the 16th.

"Thaksin's visit plan to Cambodia was scheduled before the official visit plan of the newly elected Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who will visit Cambodia on Sept. 15," he said

Well, of course. Why would Yingluck plan her visit until she knew when Thaksin was going?

Well the other paper confuses it even more. Their first paragraph refers to the Asia Economic Forum (AEF) Conference and then later refers to Hun Sens quote above about Asia Economic Future Conference.My hunch is that Thaksin will be attending the Asia Economic Forum conference whatever it's called, the one organised by the University of Cambodia and the AEF. We shall see no doubt on the 16th.

The interesting part is not whatever organisation or whatever occasion. The item of interest is 'PM Hun Sen said'. Makes you wonder what PM Yingluck will discuss on the 15th. Probably only shake hands and btw my brother will discuss the rest ?

Pure coincidence, only fanatic anti-Thaksinista would read a government conspiracy in this :lol:

Sir, if you can't find it, it doesn't exist. My hat is off to you for having sources to back up your postings.

Seems to me Hun Sen is making a lot of denials around over the oil & gas concessions, therefore logic would dictate the the concsssions are on the agenda, why make these statements if this is a non-issue....:whistling:

The lady doth protest too much...

Further if the MOU was signed in 2001, How can Abhisit administration be blamed for talks going into limbo, ... ?...:blink:

My memory is not as good as it used to be, but I seem to recall the MOU was torn up, as part of throwing toys out of the pram statesmanship, when Taksin became an economic advisor to Cambodia.

One of the funniest things, I ever heard was related to Chevron wondering when these 2 countries could sort out a workable agreement. (Chevron have contracts with both countries). The reason given for the delay, was that all negotiators were busy at Preah Vihar. Looks like Chevron have raised the stakes.

Since Khun T is really bad in english, I wonder what language he using when travelling around the world holding lectures and speeches..... Montenigrian? Nicuraguan? Nigerian?

The interesting part is not whatever organisation or whatever occasion. The item of interest is 'PM Hun Sen said'. Makes you wonder what PM Yingluck will discuss on the 15th. Probably only shake hands and btw my brother will discuss the rest ?

Pure coincidence, only fanatic anti-Thaksinista would read a government conspiracy in this :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, you're right.

Yep, you're right.

Being gentle of nature and giving you the benefit of the doubt, I assume you refer to

"Thaksin's return is overdue : Yongyuth

Yongyuth strongly implied that helping Thaksin would not be seen by the red shirts as using the election mandate to assist just one man. Absolving Thaksin had become a common symbol of justice for the reds, he said.

A high-ranking Pheu Thai source said Thaksin still insists he will only return to Thailand if his jail sentence is revoked. "He always said he wouldn't spend even a day in prison, and that remains his stance as of today."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/09/13/national/Thaksins-return-is-overdue-Yongyuth-30165135.html

Since Khun T is really bad in english, I wonder what language he using when travelling around the world holding lectures and speeches..... Montenigrian? Nicuraguan? Nigerian?

At his last keynote address at a Cambodian conference of world-renowned movers and shakers.... he spoke in English... or at least it was some mangled, distorted version of it :

:cheesy:

Edited by Buchholz

I hope he wasn't trying to take credit for that story lol.

He probably can, for his version of it, as I've never heard it told in quite the unique manner he utilized.

I'm sure all the world leaders in attendance at the prestigious event were thoroughly impressed.

Edited by Buchholz

UPDATE

Thaksin to visit Cambodia on Friday : Hun Sen

By THE NATION

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will visit Cambodia on Friday to attend a conference on the Asian economy - not to negotiate petroleum resources in the countries' overlapping claims area in the Gulf of Thailand as speculated, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen said yesterday.

"Thaksin's visit to Cambodia was scheduled before the official visit of newly elected Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who will visit Cambodia on [Thursday]," he said during a graduation ceremony of 4,100 students at the National University of Management in Phnom Penh.

"But the visit of Thaksin on [Friday] until Sept 24 is to join the Asian Economic Future Conference, organised by the Royal Academy of Cambodia, not to talk with Cambodia on oil and gas issues," Hun Sen was quoted as saying by China's state-owned Xinhua news agency.

"Thaksin has no duty to negotiate on oil and gas deals and other issues with Cambodia at all, as it is the duty of the Thai government, not Thaksin," Hun Sen said.

Cambodia and Thailand entered into a memorandum of understanding regarding their overlapping maritime claims on the continental shelf in June 2001, setting out an agreed area to be delimited and an agreed joint development area, but the talks stalled during the administration of former Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

No agreement has been reached on an oil and gas deal between Cambodia and Thailand, Hun Sen said.

Deputy Prime Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit said in Parliament yesterday that for the sake of transparency, the government would bring the negotiating framework into the legislature for a reading before making any deal with Cambodia.

Thaksin will give a lecture on Asian Economics on Saturday at the Peace Palace, Hun Sen said. "After that, I will officially greet him at the Peace Palace and we will talk about economic development," he said.

He added that he would play golf with Thaksin on Sunday and that on Sept 24, Cambodian and Thai parliamentarians and high-ranking officials would play football together at Phnom Penh's Olympic Stadium.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday expressed gratitude to Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono over Indonesia's role in facilitating peace efforts between Thailand and Cambodia.

THAILAND TO COOPERATE FULLY

Thailand would fully cooperate with Indonesia, which is handling the matter for Asean, Yingluck said in a meeting with Yudhoyono in Jakarta. Indonesia was the second country the new PM paid an official visit to, to introduce herself to her Asean leaders. Her first port of call was Brunei on Saturday, and she will visit Cambodia on Thursday, then Laos on Friday.

In a joint press statement in Jakarta, Yingluck and Yudhoyono said Thailand and Indonesia would boost cooperation in trade, energy and agriculture.

Indonesia was interested in cooperation on the halal food industry, Yingluck said.

Indonesian trade with Thailand rose by 34 per cent in 2010 to $US12 billion (Bt362 billion), Yudhoyono said.

"We believe that there will still be new opportunities to boost trade cooperation," he said.

Both sides also pledged to step up cooperation in tackling illegal fishing, combating transnational crime, and increasing the number of foreign tourist arrivals.

Yudhoyono said Indonesia would beef up its role in settling the Thai-Cambodian border dispute. Indonesia supported the Thai prime minister's plan to visit Cambodia in coming days, he said.

Indonesia, as the current chair of Asean, planned to dispatch a team of observers to assess the situation and monitor the withdrawal of troops in disputed border areas adjacent to Preah Vihear Temple.

Thailand and Cambodia have been at loggerheads over the temple for a long time but the recent conflict erupted when Phnom Penh pushed for World Heritage listing for Preah Vihear in 2008, a move which Thailand opposed.

The International Court of Justice ruled in 1962 that Preah Vihear was situated on Cambodian territory, but Thailand claims ownership of land adjacent to the temple.

Cambodia asked the ICJ in April to interpret the scope and meaning of the 1962 judgement. The court is now in the process of interpreting the 49-year-old ruling. While waiting for this, the court issued a provisional order on July 18, instructing both countries to withdraw troops from a court determined demilitarised zone.

But Thailand and Cambodia have yet to reached an agreement how to comply with the court's instruction.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-13

He probably can, for his version of it, as I've never heard it told in quite the unique manner he utilized.

I'm sure all the world leaders in attendance at the prestigious event were thoroughly impressed.

So the turtle is the great nation of Thailand, the scorpion is the former-PM, and the promise 'not to bite' is the promise to "quit Thai politics", or to accept the court's decision, or to not take revenge on anybody, or what ? <_<

I don't like films with multiple-endings ! :(

But I would welcome Yongyuth's success, in bringing him back to serve his time and face all the other court-cases, that would indeed show the new PTP-led coalition as more-successful than the former Democrat-led one. B)

Edited by Ricardo