Off-Center Front Licence Plate

eTiMaGo

I beleive this is the relevant section of the law:

ข้อ 3 แผ่นป้ายทะเบียนรถให้ติดตรึงไว้ในที่ที่เห็นได้ง่ายที่หน้ารถหนึ่งแผ่น และที่ท้ายรถหนึ่งแผ่น เว้นแต่รถจักรยานยนต์หรือรถพ่วงให้ติดตรึงที่ท้ายรถหนึ่งแผ่น การติดตรึงแผ่นป้ายต้องไม่กระทำในลักษณะที่วัสดุที่ยึดแผ่นป้ายนั้นอาจปิดบังหรือปิดทับตัวอักษรประจำหมวด หมายเลขทะเบียน และตัวอักษรบอกชื่อกรุงเทพมหานครหรือจังหวัด และต้องไม่นำวัสดุหรือสิ่งอื่นใดไม่ว่าจะก่อให้เกิดแสงสว่างหรือเรืองแสงหรือไม่ก็ตาม มาปิดทับ บัง หรือติดไว้ในบริเวณใกล้เคียงกับแผ่นป้ายทะเบียนรถจนไม่สามารถมองเห็นตัวอักษรประจำหมวด หมายเลขทะเบียน หรือตัวอักษรบอกชื่อกรุงเทพมหานครหรือจังหวัด

Basically, it states that you must have a plate both front and rear, and that they must be clearly visible. There's no mention of them needing to be in a specific location at the front/rear.... but there could be another piece of legislation that covers that separately that I don't know about..

Edit: The big question is, what matters most? The actual law, or the law according to the BIB that just pulled over a farang in a bright red, pimped out Yaris? ;)

Edit 2: There's no doubt an off-center pai tabien rot will draw some attention.. But looking at your Avatar, it appears you have tinted headlamps.. So in that case, you either live in a friendlier area of Thailand, or are well used to getting stopped for drawing too much attention anyway ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

ข้อ 3 แผ่นป้ายทะเบียนรถให้ติดตรึงไว้ในที่ที่เห็นได้ง่ายที่หน้ารถหนึ่งแผ่น และที่ท้ายรถหนึ่งแผ่น เว้นแต่รถจักรยานยนต์หรือรถพ่วงให้ติดตรึงที่ท้ายรถหนึ่งแผ่น การติดตรึงแผ่นป้ายต้องไม่กระทำในลักษณะที่วัสดุที่ยึดแผ่นป้ายนั้นอาจปิดบังหรือปิดทับตัวอักษรประจำหมวด หมายเลขทะเบียน และตัวอักษรบอกชื่อกรุงเทพมหานครหรือจังหวัด และต้องไม่นำวัสดุหรือสิ่งอื่นใดไม่ว่าจะก่อให้เกิดแสงสว่างหรือเรืองแสงหรือไม่ก็ตาม มาปิดทับ บัง หรือติดไว้ในบริเวณใกล้เคียงกับแผ่นป้ายทะเบียนรถจนไม่สามารถมองเห็นตัวอักษรประจำหมวด หมายเลขทะเบียน หรือตัวอักษรบอกชื่อกรุงเทพมหานครหรือจังหวัด

Basically, it states that you must have a plate both front and rear, and that they must be clearly visible. There's no mention of them needing to be in a specific location at the front/rear.... but there could be another piece of legislation that covers that separately that I don't know about..

Edit: The big question is, what matters most? The actual law, or the law according to the BIB that just pulled over a farang in a bright red, pimped out Yaris? ;)

and to reduce that, I would have plate on drivers side, as is tax sticker

and to ad to the list, most with external sparewheel has plate off center, and as mitsu Gwagon and honda CRV 2002-2006 was homoleg with rear plate left side, there should be no law against it

Edit 2: There's no doubt an off-center pai tabien rot will draw some attention.. But looking at your Avatar, it appears you have tinted headlamps.. So in that case, you either live in a friendlier area of Thailand, or are well used to getting stopped for drawing too much attention anyway ;)

Good point, if they want to bug you for something, they will find a reason :D Once a guy almost fined me when I had taken out my back seats, he said the car should be declared as a goods carrier! So I asked him what about Ferraris and other 2-seater sports cars, are they goods carriers? :D

But surprisingly, I've had very few problems with the police due to the car itself. My headlights are not tinted, they are aftermarket projector types.

and to ad to the list, most with external sparewheel has plate off center, and as mitsu Gwagon and honda CRV 2002-2006 was homoleg with rear plate left side, there should be no law against it

The plate relocation kit I am looking at screws into the front tow hook mounting point, so it's on the driver's side, but the plate remains facing forward, not angled off to the side (i.e roadside cops should have no problems reading it from a distance)

Good point, if they want to bug you for something, they will find a reason :D Once a guy almost fined me when I had taken out my back seats, he said the car should be declared as a goods carrier! So I asked him what about Ferraris and other 2-seater sports cars, are they goods carriers? :D

But surprisingly, I've had very few problems with the police due to the car itself. My headlights are not tinted, they are aftermarket projector types.

The plate relocation kit I am looking at screws into the front tow hook mounting point, so it's on the driver's side, but the plate remains facing forward, not angled off to the side (i.e roadside cops should have no problems reading it from a distance)

if you drive around with your front tow hook installed, even a minor parking accident can provide major damage to cars structure. would make sure the plate bracket is soft enough to avoid damage.

talking about front plates, my second car, when I was 19, was an Italian Lancia, and Italian at that time had a very small front plate, but in my homecountry they where huge. Had a tiny Italian looking plate made and installed, and kept original plate with seal in trunk. Yeeez was i pulled over a few times ;)

Most cars with big intercoolers run like this or dispence with the plate altogether :whistling: is it illegal don't know doubt it as most lorries the rear plate at least is not central ,tractors etc the same.

I don't think that you will have any problems with the plates being not centred. Considering that you see so many vehicles without ANY plates on I hardly think you've got a problem.

Most cars with big intercoolers run like this or dispence with the plate altogether :whistling: is it illegal don't know doubt it as most lorries the rear plate at least is not central ,tractors etc the same.

I don't think that you will have any problems with the plates being not centred. Considering that you see so many vehicles without ANY plates on I hardly think you've got a problem.

dude at one point I lost my front plate (public announcement: do not use double sided tape, even good stuff, to attach a plate to a bracket), and got stopped A LOT. And it's a 1000B fine if you don't have a police report, found that out the hard way!

dude at one point I lost my front plate (public announcement: do not use double sided tape, even good stuff, to attach a plate to a bracket), and got stopped A LOT. And it's a 1000B fine if you don't have a police report, found that out the hard way!

Ahhh... Well, if you are going to loose a plate, loose the rear plate... You've already driven past the BIB by the time they spot it !!!

Of centre plates... No issue whatsoever.. I had off-centre plates on a previous car, never stopped (or more to the point, never stopped due to the off-centre plate).

Ahhh... Well, if you are going to loose a plate, loose the rear plate... You've already driven past the BIB by the time they spot it !!!

Of centre plates... No issue whatsoever.. I had off-centre plates on a previous car, never stopped (or more to the point, never stopped due to the off-centre plate).

That was my reasoning too, so I swapped the rear one to the front :D But, I think they usually have a spotter before the checkpoints, because they stopped me for that anyway.

That's strange advice, I have my tax sticker on the left (passenger) side of the car, and this is where most seem to place it.

Can't say I've ever reflected on seeing a tax sticker on the driver side of a car. (Seen some in the center, behind the rear view mirror.)

Additionally if it would be placed on drivers side, it would be more intrusive than being placed on the left side.

I would also place the plate on the passenger side as this is where the cops will be standing, easier for them to spot it.

That's strange advice, I have my tax sticker on the left (passenger) side of the car, and this is where most seem to place it.

Can't say I've ever reflected on seeing a tax sticker on the driver side of a car. (Seen some in the center, behind the rear view mirror.)

Additionally if it would be placed on drivers side, it would be more intrusive than being placed on the left side.

I would also place the plate on the passenger side as this is where the cops will be standing, easier for them to spot it.

sorry, what was I thinking? back in Europe I guess

of course left side (passenger side in RHD vehicles), the required position for tax sticker in TH