Trick Or Treating In Chiang Mai

senoremac

More American Crap.

Don't knock it until you tried it. It's great fun for kids. But in those places where the weather is almost always miserable (often similar to its citizenry) there is no appreciation - just name-calling ignorance.

As a kid in America I loved Halloween, it was my favorite holiday and still is (o.k. I might be biased as I was born on Oct. 31st) it can be a lot of fun and as easily over commercialized but should Christmas be canceled (which I believe is a 2 mnth long holiday starting next week) too? My Thai kids get dressed up here but it would be great to have somewhere to take them and by the way they do like candy. Kosan Rd. in Bangkok is one huge Halloween Party so it's really going global w/o any religious or other agendas just fun for all.

More American Crap.

Don't knock it until you tried it. It's great fun for kids. But in those places where the weather is almost always miserable (often similar to its citizenry) there is no appreciation - just name-calling ignorance.

Well said.

Some people just never had a child hood and begrudge children that do.It was one of the highlights of the yearf when I was growing up. Fortunately for me I didn't live in a area populated by scrooges. My father had some stage props and make up and he would get all of us kids decked out and turn us loose.

I hope this crap never catches on here. Once in England some kids pelted me with eggs when I refused to give them any money. One caught me dead in the eye, almost blinded. This is just another big commercial enterprise import from America.

If it does catch on here, you can guarantee it'll be drowned out by fireworks like most other festivities, which are far more dangerous than a few rotten eggs getting slung around. That's providing they don't catch you on the pointed end of course, in which case they might as well be small rocks!

In my day, a typical 'trick' I used to play on grumpy old gits, i.e. those who wouldn't even give a small treat like a plain biscuit, was to pick up dog's sh*t on the end of a stick and ram it through the letter boxes. I'm happy to say I soon grew out of such adolescent nastiness and haven't done anything like that for at least a couple of years now :whistling:

But whatever your thoughts on it (talking to everyone here), it's not about you adults, it's about the kids, and any day that brings excitement, joy, and embeds fond memories into the minds of growing children can only be a good thing in my book.

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

I hope this crap never catches on here. Once in England some kids pelted me with eggs when I refused to give them any money. One caught me dead in the eye, almost blinded. This is just another big commercial enterprise import from America.

If it does catch on here, you can guarantee it'll be drowned out by fireworks like most other festivities, which are far more dangerous than a few rotten eggs getting slung around. That's providing they don't catch you on the pointed end of course, in which case they might as well be small rocks!

In my day, a typical 'trick' I used to play on grumpy old gits, i.e. those who wouldn't even give a small treat like a plain biscuit, was to pick up dog's sh*t on the end of a stick and ram it through the letter boxes. I'm happy to say I soon grew out of such adolescent nastiness and haven't done anything like that for at least a couple of years now :whistling:

But whatever your thoughts on it (talking to everyone here), it's not about you adults, it's about the kids, and any day that brings excitement, joy, and embeds fond memories into the minds of growing children can only be a good thing in my book.

Aitch

The whole thing sounds like the Americans teach thier kids how to extort things. Give us what we want or we will do something nasty to you. Doesn't sound like a good way to raise children. We don't have it in Australia and kids still have fun without begging and retaliating if they don't get what they want.

I've never seen any Thai family do Trick Or Treat and I guess people don't celebrate Halloween here.

It's an American thingy. legalised extortion.

It's in name only that there is retaliation (trick or treat). I've never witnessed harm or even threats of harm to anyone. It's fantastic fun for children. After gathering their treats they congregate with others - usually neighborhood kids, and trade for their preferred treats.

Those of you who have never experienced it and wish to use it as yet another opportunity to bash America, carry on. It's beyond getting old. Jealousy and ignorance.

I've never seen any Thai family do Trick Or Treat and I guess people don't celebrate Halloween here.

It's in name only that there is retaliation (trick or treat). I've never witnessed harm or even threats of harm to anyone. It's fantastic fun for children. After gathering their treats they congregate with others - usually neighborhood kids, and trade for their preferred treats.

Those of you who have never experienced it and wish to use it as yet another opportunity to bash America, carry on. It's beyond getting old. Jealousy and ignorance.

Never seen it apart from in the movies where kids demand lollies and if they don't get them then they throw egss and rocks at people houses. I know it is some form of an American culture and I don't even know what it stands for or celebrates. We in Australia don't have it and it doesn't really interest aussies. No I am not bashing America just saying it is an American thing. We don't celebrate thanksgiving either in Australia and that is not being anti American we just have our own Australian customs and don't need to celebrate another countries.

Never seen it apart from in the movies where kids demand lollies and if they don't get them then they throw egss and rocks at people houses. I know it is some form of an American culture and I don't even know what it stands for or celebrates. We in Australia don't have it and it doesn't really interest aussies. No I am not bashing America just saying it is an American thing. We don't celebrate thanksgiving either in Australia and that is not being anti American we just have our own Australian customs and don't need to celebrate another countries.

It was the "legalised (legalized) extortion" description that caused the negative comment, not attributable to you.

Edited by venturalaw

Jesus Christ! What the hell is a matter with you guys?

I merely asked a very simple question which all but one person (jcgodber) has attempted to answer. If you can contribute an answer to my ? than I applaud you, but if not, then why bother to post at all. Highjacking my post to argue your unwanted opinion serves no purpose other than to undermine the point of this forum.

In short, if you don't have a constructive answer to my question, than please don't bother to post.

Thanks

Edited by senoremac

Trick or Treating in the USA involves kids dressing up in costumes and walking around the neighborhood collecting candy. That is all.

Nobody demands anything, except for our parents demanding that we remembered to say "thank you" at each house.

I think in the old days kids might have thrown eggs or played other "tricks", as the name implies.

But I never witnessed anything like that in real life all my years growing up there, at least not during the actual Trick or Treat time.

Not sure if it was done the last 2 years, but some residents of World Club had a trick and treat circuit. Not many houses to knock on and each easily identifiable by a couple of lit craved squash (Thai Pumpkin) out front.

Only way I could suggest to find out if families are doing it this year is to ask at SOHO's, they have a community board, or call around to missionary services groups (I don't know of any to suggest).

Note to all those that think Halloween originated in the USA, get a clue and take a history lesson.

Yes, the USA probably has commercialized it and cashed in hugely with it but then again isn't that why everyone is so jealous of the USA, our success for doing things..... That's what happens when you're on top, everyone wants to knock you down.

Now for given out apples on Halloween, yes it may be healthy but harmful as well. When we received an apple we had to throw it away. Too many crazy folks wanting to hurt others by putting harmful items in apples....... Hmmmm Did I say the USA probably has the highest crime and prison population as well....whistling.gif

Personally I think that it is irresponsible to let your children go wondering off into strangers homes. You never what wierdo is lurking behind the doors and how can you trust what a complete stranger gives your children to eat? If a stranger gives our child anything which has happened in the street someone gives him a lolly and says hello, we never allow him to eat it, straight into the bin is where it goes. No I am not American bashing just think the whole act is irresponsible.

The best trick for meanies

Dog pooh in an open paper bag, leave on front porch, light edges of paper bag, ring door bell and run.

They always stamp on the bag in their slippers ........ pooh everywhere, very funny.

Ah!, to relive the good clean fun you had in your younger days!

The best trick for meanies

Dog pooh in an open paper bag, leave on front porch, light edges of paper bag, ring door bell and run.

They always stamp on the bag in their slippers ........ pooh everywhere, very funny.

Ah!, to relive the good clean fun you had in your younger days!

You must have been a real barrel of laughs and a hit with the decent folk of your town ;)

Personally I think that it is irresponsible to let your children go wondering off into strangers homes. You never what wierdo is lurking behind the doors and how can you trust what a complete stranger gives your children to eat? If a stranger gives our child anything which has happened in the street someone gives him a lolly and says hello, we never allow him to eat it, straight into the bin is where it goes. No I am not American bashing just think the whole act is irresponsible.

Another poster waxing on about a subject of which they are completely ignorant.

Children never go "wondering off into strangers homes". Parents follow and observe the children, who are virtually always in groups, go up to the front door, knock/ring the bell, and politely ask for and receive treats. Then they say thank you. The homes are never entered. Also, the candy is wrapped and inspected by the parents. Anything suspect is tossed. But most importantly, the neighborhoods are known by the parents of the children who go trick or treating. One doesn't just drop their children off in an unknown neighborhood, take off and return to collect them hours later. That would be ignorant now, wouldn't it? :rolleyes: