Sai Oua ไส้อั่ว

ShopBoy

Based on the most recent survey of more than 3000 sausage eaters, "the most popular" place is in the Sompet Market, a stall towards the back left side. But there many kinds of sai oua, which variety is your preference?

Thanks for the lead. Wow didn't know there are many kind of Sai Oua any particular favorites where people tends to buy more ?

Anyway to pinpoint the exact location of the shop ?

Traditionally the famous place was the one next to the Holiday Inn. However I don't think that's still the case; past glory.

A very solid place IMHO that sells tons is at Mae Hia market on the Canal Road, just South of the MIddle Ring. The place predates the market I think. You can also purchase fresh (un-grilled) Sai Uai in any quantity to takeaway and grill later.

It's on the outside of the market, close to where the parking is in front, near the spirit houses.

Based on the most recent survey of more than 3000 sausage eaters, "the most popular" place is in the Sompet Market, a stall towards the back left side. But there many kinds of sai oua, which variety is your preference?

Sorry but your wrong. The most popular and best Sai Oua place is in Gad Luang (often refered to as day market by tourists). The shop is in the middle of the building with the broken esculator (Opposite 711). People come from miles around for this sausage and you will find the shop by the sausage hungry crowds gathered around it. Bloody aroi makmak!

Sorry but your wrong. The most popular and best Sai Oua place is in Gad Luang (often refered to as day market by tourists). The shop is in the middle of the building with the broken esculator (Opposite 711). People come from miles around for this sausage and you will find the shop by the sausage hungry crowds gathered around it. Bloody aroi makmak!

This would be a favourite for out of province Thai tourists. But if you ask most locals they will tell you Mae Hia Market or Ton Payom Market. (There are a lot of Sai Ooa vendors in Ton Payom market. ) So maybe that could be a little tasting project for someone!

Homemade is always the best. Then you have control of the stuff that goes inside the casing. :)

Agreed. They even have packets of ready mixed herbs and skins in the market. <snip>

Nice to see a thread on sausages run this long without any of the local jesters making references to them looking like kalams!

Edited by soundman
Unintelligible transliterations.

Homemade is always the best. Then you have control of the stuff that goes inside the casing. :)

Agreed. They even have packets of ready mixed herbs and skins in the market. <snip>

Nice to see a thread on sausages run this long without any of the local jesters making references to them looking like kalams!

...or the other...staff :lol::lol:

Traditionally the famous place was the one next to the Holiday Inn. However I don't think that's still the case; past glory.

A very solid place IMHO that sells tons is at Mae Hia market on the Canal Road, just South of the MIddle Ring. The place predates the market I think. You can also purchase fresh (un-grilled) Sai Uai in any quantity to takeaway and grill later.

It's on the outside of the market, close to where the parking is in front, near the spirit houses.

I couldn't agree more, it is deeelicious :)

/ Priceless

what is the market on suthep road near that dental faculty?

There is one shop in there that is top notch. I know that they have won awards and have several articles in the newspaper about them..

The shop next to holiday in sucks for sai uah, but their hinlay and their naam are still superb.

/ Priceless

I'm with WTK and Priceless on this one. Mae Hia's is the most consistent and doesn't contain as much grizzle, fat, and hoof parts as some of the other places where you can find it.

Any particular vendor to look for in Mae Hia or Ton Payom market ?

For Mae Hia, see the description in my post #4.

For Ton Payom market, I'm also interested to hear which one in particular is recommended.

Also I recall a place in Sankamphaeng; I've had their Sai Ua, but someone brought it for me so I don't know which shop, or where it's located. If 'sankamphaeng sai ua' rings a bell with someone then I'm interested in that too. (May not be all the way to Sankamphaeng, can easily be around Bo Sang too)

Lamphun has the best , small factory / house just outside the old city wall. ( north side )

Take a Thai person with you and go around the city then you will see their sign.

There are 2 men on the BBQ all the time turning the sausages ,even the charcoal is heated in a different stove before it goes on the BBQ

This is my favorite.

As for being "the best", that is probably up to each person. And there could be many people liking the same one.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Lamphun has the best , small factory / house just outside the old city wall. ( north side )

Take a Thai person with you and go around the city then you will see their sign.

There are 2 men on the BBQ all the time turning the sausages ,even the charcoal is heated in a different stove before it goes on the BBQ

This is my favorite.

As for being "the best", that is probably up to each person. And there could be many people liking the same one.

MSPain

I've tried that one as well yes; wouldn't drive all the 2way to Lamphun for it.

This is my favorite.

MSPain

Lamphun used to have the "best" but according to sausage aficionados no more. Many times I was dragged to Lamphun by visiting Thai guests on a sausage mission and they used to be located in an old wooden house in a spacious compound on the (Lamphun) city moat . Then apparently the son (or maybe another relative took over (after the parents gave up the business) and moved to a shop house fairly close by. The sausage tasters promptly said in disgust the recipe was not the same and no more trips to Lamphun after that.

My wife called the factory in the past and they said their products are available in Chiang Mai. No, I don't remember where. Someone could probably call them and find out.

MSPain

My wife called the factory in the past and they said their products are available in Chiang Mai. No, I don't remember where. Someone could probably call them and find out.

MSPain

That would probably be the Lamphun Northern Thai food restaurant (whose name totally evades me at the moment). It has a branch selling their food on Moon Muang Rd between soi 8 and soi 9. Small townhouse type building a light greenish colour.

/ Priceless

I'm with WTK and Priceless on this one. Mae Hia's is the most consistent and doesn't contain as much grizzle, fat, and hoof parts as some of the other places where you can find it.

Every one I've tried has grizzle in it. Also they put too much MSG in them. I don't like them. The funny thing is (and maybe it's just pure coincidence), is that none of my Thai friends who grew up in Chiang Mai will eat them, but Thai friends from Bangkok always stock up on them when they come here to visit -- along with ungodly amounts of those fried pork skins.

I would like to try making them sometime as I like the herbs and the flavor but would prefer choosing the meat that goes in them. And no MSG.

I can't think of a Thai friend, other than the vegetarians, that does not eat them. That includes from other provinces. I'm sure there may be some, but I can't recall any. It may not be there first choice of what to eat, but I don't recall any turning it down.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

/ Priceless

Every one I've tried has grizzle in it. Also they put too much MSG in them. I don't like them. The funny thing is (and maybe it's just pure coincidence), is that none of my Thai friends who grew up in Chiang Mai will eat them, but Thai friends from Bangkok always stock up on them when they come here to visit -- along with ungodly amounts of those fried pork skins.

Speaking in general right, not the Mae Hia shop? Went to Payom market recently and that indeed fit the description. Mae Hia shop (called Ton Makaham?) are much leaner (while still not being health food) and tastier.

As for msg, it's just as much a part of life in Asia as salt is in the West. People who prefer salt or other nitrates over msg are in the wrong continent.