Spanish Ham

bonobo

I was in Barcelona in September, and I bought about 3 kg of a local ham. (I should have bought the whole ham, but I was low on Euros and didn't want to go find an ATM, idiot-that-I-am at times.)

This ham has made some great sandwiches, but I have very little left. Where can I get more here in Thailand? I don't mean the little plastic packs of 100g that you can buy at Villa or Tops, but big chunks of it that I can slice at home.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm. Kinda tricky to know which ham you are talking about.

This might not be what you are looking for, but go to the food court at Siam Paragon or Emporium and buy italian parma ham. It is the best ham ever, seriously.

It might be what you bought in Spain.

Edited by ricku

Hmm. Kinda tricky to know which ham you are talking about.

This might not be what you are looking for, but go to the food court at Siam Paragon or Emporium and buy italian parma ham. It is the best ham ever, seriously.

It might be what you bought in Spain.

Actually Parma ham is Italian but thanks for posting the information. Will ask wife to buy some next time we're in BKK. Remember attending a football match in Parma --- my mouth watering just thinking about the food :D

They used to have serrano and -even better- pata negra at Central Chidlom food hall.

I love serrano, but I love pata negra even more! (That is what I brought from Spain with me). I will give it a shot.

Pata negra is one of the best ham, almost same level of the Italian San Daniele, but I'm afraid it comes to be a bit expensive here in Thailand. But you should be able to find a chink (a quarter), such as 1/1.5 Kg which you can slice yourself

They used to have serrano and -even better- pata negra at Central Chidlom food hall.

They do, I saw some Pata Negra in there last week.

If you're wanting a larger amount then look into Choice Foods (as someone else mentioned), they sell a range of Spanish hams, but they're not cheap. Google 'Bangkok Food Glorious Food' for thier website and product/pricelist.

Pata negra is one of the best ham, almost same level of the Italian San Daniele, but I'm afraid it comes to be a bit expensive here in Thailand. But you should be able to find a chink (a quarter), such as 1/1.5 Kg which you can slice yourself

Almost at the level of San Daniele? I've had them both and often. I don't think San Daniele comes even close. For what it's worth, most chefs think so, too. What's more, so does the marketplace where Pata Negra goes for more than San Daniele. Pata Negra are raised in the oak forests of spain where they gorge themselves on acorns. It's the sweetest ham I ever ate. That said, ultimately it comes down to a matter of taste.