Big Waves And High Tides

sbk

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I forgot to add, we are on the protected side of the island, the north and west will have large breakers rolling in. Chaloklum gets hammered every year. But, at least for us, this is the highest its ever been :o

post-4641-1132469826_thumb.jpg

I forgot to add, we are on the protected side of the island, the north and west will have large breakers rolling in. Chaloklum gets hammered every year. But, at least for us, this is the highest its ever been :o

post-4641-1132469826_thumb.jpg

looks like a tsunami hit! the wind seems to be dieing down a bit this afternoon and we have clear blue skies at the moment but yesterday and last night was pretty crazy overe here on the west coast. coconuts dropping like bombs over baghdad!

One bonus, it's brought back all the sand we've lost to erosion over the past year! My husband says the tide should be higher tomorrow than today, lets just hope the waves die down and then we won't have such a problem.

We've already had the full moon, which is the night of the highest and lowest tides, we're heading back towards the new moon which is the smallest tides.

Strong onshore winds can make tides a lot higher than usual though so if the winds pick up it could well be higher.

Actually womble, the wind is the reason for the big waves. Where I live the water is extremely shallow so the effect of the wind is quite noticeable. The tide is going out now, and we have cleaned up all the debris, I am just keeping my fingers crossed the wind dies down tomorrow or all my poor plants will take a beating from the next big dose of salt water :o

Actually womble, the wind is the reason for the big waves. Where I live the water is extremely shallow so the effect of the wind is quite noticeable. The tide is going out now, and we have cleaned up all the debris, I am just keeping my fingers crossed the wind dies down tomorrow or all my poor plants will take a beating from the next big dose of salt water :o

If the shipping forecast for Samui waters is anything to go by http://www.kjc.gov.my/english/weather/forecast/ship.html you will have more of the same until Wednesday. Good Luck!

My husband says it's the worst he's seen in 10 years! Some of his staff had their houses washed away last night. Our road is a waterfall! I have heard that Tamarind Springs have evacuated as they are worried about flooding/landslides.

We foolishly took some customers to the airport this morning at 5.30 and got stuck in the sand on the airport road. Someone pulled us out, but it must be far worse now as it's been raining like mad for hours.

I would advise anyone who is safe and warm to stay inside and stay that way. On the temple road in Lamai the rain is chest level. Please be careful, this isn't like every year after Loi Kratong.

PS. We didn't hear a plane take off or land while we were stuck near the airport. Not sure if the planes are active. Might be a good idea to check if you have connecting flights.

Edited by naomisri

We've just got back from Tesco Lotus and the main ring road is

completely flooded, you could sail a boat down there.

Everybody seemed to be stocking up on everything....######

and the electric has just gone in our house.

My wife says she also, has never seen anthing like this in Samui.

Trouble in Paradise eh....!

Keep your heds down, stay cool and, more important stay safe.

Thinkin of ya all but, believe me I'd still rather be there than England. It was -12 with windchill here last night.

redrus

Thinkin of ya all but, believe me I'd still rather be there than England. It was -12 with windchill here last night.

redrus

jesus 12 under where r ya

Harrogate, in the Vale of York. Hardly ever snows, as it has been even in Devon but, just gets really cold at night,. My mates car temp gage wouldnt go below -5, TV weather said -12 (with w/chill) last night, worse to come over the weekend.

redrus

redrus

jesus 12 under where r ya

Harrogate, in the Vale of York. Hardly ever snows, as it has been even in Devon but, just gets really cold at night,. My mates car temp gage wouldnt go below -5, TV weather said -12 (with w/chill) last night, worse to come over the weekend.

i think after that message im just happy to put up with this rain

redrus

there are bungalows being washed into the sea in thong nai pan on ko phangan and a lot of flooding too... this is also the protected side of the island and it's pretty bad so i can only guess how it is on the other side! we have only managed to keep electricity for about 20 mins. out of the last 24 hours, lots of displaced animals making the move on my house. didn't know this storm was coming and thus did not think to stock up- sort of trapped in the village and hoping it doesn't last too much longer! locals are saying it's the worst they have seen in years too.

Actually, the winds are coming out of the North so Thong Nai Pan is the least protected side of the island and traditionally gets battered by big waves this time of year. I remember a few years ago when we had big waves several places over in Chaloklum lost bungalows as well. Waves on the south side (Ban Kai, Ban Tai) are not so bad, the water is much lower today than on the other day so although the breakers are still rolling in the water isn't reaching so high. We have had major washouts from seriously heavy rains, the road to Haadrin is broken (at the bottom of the first big hill leaving Haadrin) and the bridge in Ban Kai is broken --1m across so don't think anyone will be driving across that one anytime soon.

Forecast is for more rain but we are hoping it will slow down as we have had major washouts behind our house :o Hope the back wall of our bathroom doesn't crumble away. We will be sleeping in an empty bungalow tonight (out of the way of the flood waters!)

The 7-11 near the Boathouse is washed out, water above chest level.

The road bewteen Ban Rak and Bophud has two serious big gaps next to the road where all the sand is just washed away, next to the road about 2 meters in the afternoon at sea 8 to 10 meters wide.

Wonder if the road will be there tomorrow.

The road from Bophud to Maenam was closed down by police in the afternoon.

My wife also says it's the worth in about 10 years to hit Samui. Electricity was out all day and just came back on again about an hour ago.

Hi I am out of town (off island) and a bit worried as I cant get a call thru from Malaysia back at our home in Samui.

Could someone call for me and check in with my girl and make sure she is ok?

Her name is Ta

01-089-7766

[email protected] is my e-mail.

Just let me know if she is ok and ask her (or anyone there else knows) if I should delay coming back for a day or 2 if I cant make it back there?

I have a mini bus ticket leaving for in the morning 5 am and would rather sleep here another night then somehwere else in Thailand if I cant return safely to Samui on Sat afternoon.

Any advise or help welcome thanks, Aya

Lamai main street is ok , but down towards the pavillion some flooding.The ring road around it is bad.Had to collect some people from airport due to cancelled flight , you can get through in 4 wheel drive , but be very aware & CAREFULL of rubble & road washouts.Waterfalls springing up everywhere , so much water coming off the mountain & water creating new courses.Our thoughts are with so many locals that had their houses washed away.As several people have mentioned , it is the worst they have seen.

If anyone here needs assistance please PM me & will try & help with transport or whatever.

redrus

the worst day in thailand is better than a good day in UK or US!

saturday a.m. and things seeme to have calmed down a bit. maybe even see some sun today. last night we went to tongsala and the road from the hospital was about 1/2 meter deep in water.

frankley, it's a minor inconvienience at most. don't go over reacting like people did in the tsunami. we only lost power in seethanu for abou 2 hours yesterday. not exactly life threatening.

Edited by stevehaigh