Storm Warnings For Southern Gulf Of Thailand

george

Storm warnings for 8 southern Gulf of Thailand provinces

BANGKOK: -- Heavy downpours and flash floods are expected to hit eight of Thailand's southern provinces Sunday and Monday, according to an announcement issued by Meteorological Department.

The announcement warned that torrential rains which had already deluged two southern provinces of Chumphon and Prachuap Khiri Khan Saturday will hit six other provinces on the Gulf of Thailand coastline of southern Thailand Sunday and Monday.

Small craft are advised not to put out to sea from Sunday through Tuesday, due to heavy storms in the Gulf, the warning from the Metereological Department said.

Meanwhile, low temperatures from China still cover the upper part of the country, bringing the northern areas face-to-face with cold weather in the morning, with temperatures possibly dropping a further 2-3 degrees, the announcement said.

--TNA 2005-11-20

Related links:

Thailand weather forecast

Big Waves And High Tides - Koh Phangan photos

[Meanwhile, low temperatures from China still cover the upper part of the country, bringing the northern areas face-to-face with cold weather in the morning, with temperatures possibly dropping a further 2-3 degrees, the announcement said.

--TNA 2005-11-20

Related links:

Thailand weather forecast

Big Waves And High Tides - Koh Phangan photos

It must be down to global warming! Forecast for England is that it will be the coldest winter since 1963. Temperatures in England have been down to -7 C at night.

It must be down to global warming! 

Nonsnse. Big waves,high tides and heavy rains are the norm for the South this time of year. November is the rainiest, stormiest month of the year down here, I would be worried if we weren't getting any rain!

Sure, the tide is higher than usual but I suspect its because of beach erosion rather than any abnormally high water (also the effect of the winds pushing the water up onshore is quite strong here due to the shallowness of the sea)

Not that there isn't global warming, it's just not believable to blame every weather extreme on it.

Full Moon = High tide ,

None of the International forecasters have storms in the Gulf of Thailand in the near future . The only significant change in the weather is the onset of the North East Monsoon due to the Mongolian High achieving 1040 HPa .

Relax

I don't think there is any question that global warming is affecting the weather - this is now a fact.

It is therefore absolutely true to say that this is affecting all weather, including the extremes of hot and cold, wet and dry.

The global weather system is an incredibly complex set of cause and effect, therefore anything that changes part of it is going to somehow or other affect all of it.

The thing we are really concerned about is not the "if", but the "how much".

There are of course still people around who believe in the Flat Earth, fortunately for the real world they are a dying breed - the Anti-Global Warming brigade too, are thinning out as it becomes painfully obvious to us all that it is no longer a theory, it's happening...now!

edit [spelling] G

Edited by Greer

It must be down to global warming! 

beach erosion doesn't make the tide higher

No, but it makes it closer to your house when the beach has half disappeared. Seemed obvious to me but maybe you don't live right on the beach so it isn't clear.

And I didn't say global warming wasn't an issue, I just said that it isn't causing this particular event!

OK, again, this is not because of a storm but because of the northern monsoon pushing down from China --it always brings high winds to the Gulf of Thailand, causing big waves! EVERY YEAR (Pardon my shouting but Christ almighty, I have lived on this very same spot for the past 16 years, I do know what I am talking about!!!!)

Geez Louise you people sure are a bunch of cynics! The fact is the Thai meteorlogical Dept forecasted big waves in the Gulf and the fact is that there ARE big waves in the Gulf. There is flooding in Prachuab and Chumpon. Look at the Thai newspapers front page if you don't believe me.

I know there has been rough weather - but that is when the forecasts normally come out. I did not mean this forum was getting the word late - for forecast are almost always of past events in my experience here. If there has been heavy rain the new forecast is heavy rain and flooding. In many cases this is issued after the rain has ceased. :o

Glad to be back, thanks Goerge for the emails, I lost them for a while but that was my fault, all corrected now so glad to be hearing the up to date news.

I noticed some removed posts on this thread but as they where to do with the weather and the climate I can't understand why, ok, the first that mentioned it and the pathectic follow up yes but some good comments where mentioned regarding the planet as a whole.

Let the word be said, maybe not the correct thread but some off topic comments should stay.

1) A friend called me from Samui and said it hasn't stopped raining for the last two days...

2) It was bloody freezing last night in the UK...

:o

Thats strange, they both happen about this time of year, I reckon it the weather, I mean -2 in the UK, thats normal for this time of year, Scotland was -5 last night, nothing new about that either

I was in Samui last November and it rained 7 days solid, some heavy, some light, but it was definately rain, I assume its the monsoon season, so thats not really unusual either

The only reason this weather affects so many people is they live around the edges of a country (check it out) and there are more of em, so it affects more people, DOH!!

Update:

One drowned, three missing as floods ravage southern provinces

BANGKOK: -- At least one person has drowned, three are missing and some 5,000 familes are suffering as flash floods triggered by heavy downpours continue to ravage the region.

According to Deputy Interior Minister Sermsak Pongpanit, the victim, the missing and the suffering families are natives of Prachuap Khiri Khan's Bang Saphan district. Relief officials are searching for those who were reported missing in the flash floods which occurred yesterday.

A major road in Prachuap Khiri Khan province which was impassable yesterday has now opened to traffic but is badly damaged after being submerged under fast-moving one metre deep floodwaters.

Train services heading to the South resumed Sunday afternoon after service was temporarily stopped due to high water levels on a portion of the railway line in Bang Saphan district.

In Chumpon province, floodwaters remain high in two districts adjoining Prachuap Khiri Khan province.

Meanwhile, the Meteorological Department office in Songkhla province said that heavy rains will continue in the South Monday and that nine provinces in the South should be prepared for flash floods.

The weather department also urged fishing trawlers and other small craft to stay ashore as waves in the Gulf of Thailand could be as high as three metres.

--TNA 2005-11-20

1 DEAD AND 3 MISSING FROM THE FLOOD INCIDENT AT PRACHUAB KIRIKHAN

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Interior Minister SERMSAK PONGPANIT (เสริมศักดิ์ พงษ์พานิช) talked about the flood situation in Bangsaphan (บางสะพาน) and Tabsakae (ทับสะแก) districts of Prachuab kirikhan(ประจวบคีรีขันธ์ ) province that preliminary report shows that 1 persons has lost his life and other three are missing.

However, the situation has returned to normal but there are still problems of shortage of elcticity power but the ministry has asked the power supply authority to supply electricity power to local people and that related officers have been instructed to distrubute rice and other consumer goods to flood victims.

He added that the flood was caused by the heavy rain during the past six days which caused the increase of water upto 260 millimeter however, he has already informed the locals about the situation.

--TNA 2005-11-20

Well, this one wasn't too hard to predict. It happens every year, about this time. Usually after the full moon.

The original notice from the Thai Met . gave out the following warning :-

" that torrential rains which had already deluged two southern provinces of Chumphon and Prachuap Khiri Khan Saturday will hit six other provinces on the Gulf of Thailand coastline of southern Thailand Sunday and Monday.

Small craft are advised not to put out to sea from Sunday through Tuesday, due to heavy storms in the Gulf, the warning from the Metereological Department said."

The winds in the gulf are certainly forecast to increase due to the onset of the North East monsoon as a result of the Mongolian High (this morning 21 Nov. at 1046 HPa)

However, there are no satelite pix of storm cells visible in the Gulf of Thailand - and no forecasts of heavy rain in the southern provinces from other forecasters.

Therefore, if the external forecasters are accurate the southern gulf provinces can expect 20 kts Northeasters for the next few days without significant rain.

A FISHING BOAT CAPSIZED IN CHUMPHON -- CREW HAD TO REMAIN IN WATER FOR 6 HOURS

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation office in Southern province of CHUMPHON has reported the damages incurred from the flood in the area between November 19th-20th.

The report says a medium-sized fishing vessel with 4 crewmembers capsized 1.5 kilometres from the coast. The 4 crewmen had to remain in the water for as long as 6 hours before being rescued.

In TAMBON THA YANG (ท่ายาง) of CHUMPHON's MUANG district, a beachside road was hit and damaged by sea waves at the height of 3 to 4 metres. The sea waves also brought up rocks from the sea and scattered them throughout the road. Some sections were damaged to the point that cars could not go through. Some houses located near the beach were also damaged.

Overall, 8 districts in the province have been affected, with the most being PATHIU (ปะทิว) district with 5 unusable roads, 22 affected villages and 880 families of 3,520 people.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 21 November 2005

Heavy rain wreaks havoc, leaves at least three dead, five missing

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN: -- Residents are cleaning up after heavy rain wreaked havoc on this provincial gateway to the South over the last two days, causing at least three deaths. Another five people were still missing. The downpour, which dumped 200mm of rain over Bang Saphan district in 24 hours on Saturday, created flash floods that cut the south-bound Phetkasem Highway and the southern rail route.

While frantic repair work mounted by local authorities finally put the highway and the railway back in normal use yesterday, elsewhere residents and officials were still assessing the damage and needed repairs.

Bang Saphan District Hospital remained closed for the second day yesterday as flood waters remained high in its compound and on the access road.

More than 100 cars and trucks remained submerged in Bang Saphan district town where the water level in some areas was still as high as one metre.

Most property owners and residents in tambon Kamnerd Tepakhun municipality, the business centre of Bang Saphan district, were caught off-guard by the floods on Saturday.

The heavy downpour caused nearby Klong Loy reservoir to overflow its dyke, sending runoff down to populated areas along the Phetkasem Highway.

All 109 patients at Bang Saphan Hospital were evacuated by helicopter to hospitals in the provincial town and adjoining districts.

Pradit Yamanant, chief of Bang Saphan district, said he had reports that at least five people were still missing.

Three people including a 50-year-old woman were killed when the flash flood hit hillside communities in tambon Ronthong and tambon Chaikasem.

Casualty numbers were expected to rise when the water receded and communications with people in outlying areas were restored, Mr Pradit said.

District authorities yesterday arranged for 20,000 boxes of food to go to people affected by the flash floods but the supply was insufficient because many people had been made homeless.

``People were caught off-guard because no one had been warned about the approaching danger,'' he said.

Initial assessment showed at least 5,000 families, totalling about 200,000 people, have been affected.

He said 85 roads, 10 reservoirs and about 60,000 rai of farm land have been damaged and 63,000 head of cattle lost to the floods.

--TNA 2005-11-21

FLOOD SUMMARY: WATER NOW LEAVES PRACHUAB KIRIKHAN FOR CHUMPHORN

Floodwaters in Prachuabkirikan has receded, while many in Chumphorn now face flooding.

The province of Prachuabkirikan is working rapidly to restore its damaged roads to functionality, while 3 people have been found dead. Much of the water level in the province, a result of 6 hours of heavy downpour amounting to 260 millimeters of rainwater, has returned to normal. Officials are quickly trying to repair the damaged section of the Petchkasem (เพชรเกษม) road in the province. 3 people were reported killed from the flood, and searches are still being made for the people that have gone missing. The initial estimate for damages resulting from this flood is 100 million baht.

In Chumphorn province, residents are facing flooding as the water from Prachuabkirikan now flows into Chumphorn. The flooding is as high as 2 meters in some areas. Meanwhile a boat has capsized offshore, and after 6 hours in the water, all but one of the 4 crewmen were rescued. A search was being made for the missing crewman.

The State Railway of Thailand has since yesterday morning begun resumption of its train trips in the southern line, after it had to cancel 10 trips due to the flooding in Prachuabkirikan, which the southern rail line passes through.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 21 November 2005

My father-in-law returned from Bangkok yesterday, said they were delayed 4 hours when the army had to repair a bridge that had been washed oout in Prachuab.

This kind of weather is the norm for the South this time of year. The waves are smaller on our (south east) side of the island today, the wind has died down a bit. The wind is coming out of the north so the north and west sides of the islands will get the biggest waves. Every year the boat service to Koh Tao is suspended at least once due to high waves. I know Chumpon suspended service to Koh Tao yesterday but Surat did not (catamaran was running).

People need to get used to the idea that there can be extreme weather here too, I think everyone gets so used to a fairly benign climate they fail to realize that the tropics can get quite nasty sometimes too.