Tennis Court Chiang Mai

mrireland

Just looking to play a bit of tennis a few days a week to keep fit, staying near Tha pae Gate. Have a sparring partner but were newbies, not looking for anything mad fancy, something reasonably close by if possible.

Dont want somewhere that your expected to wear tennis gear or is really busy and people will be waiting for us to finish (dont want the embarrassment of them seeing how bad i am) and dont want somewhere hard to find in a tuk tuk as i dont know the area well

Probably a stupid question but do they provide rackets and balls or should i bring my own, if i should bring my own wheres the best place, seen rackets for 1,500 in tesco yesterday, bit expensive IMO but i dont mind paying it if theyre good value just have no idea what they usually cost.

If the place is far out give me a rough price in a tuk tuk

"or is really busy and people will be waiting for us to finish (dont want the embarrassment of them seeing how bad i am) " Probably not going to happen.

Go find a nice place to hike man, it'll probably be easier and more enjoyable given your circumstances.

Hi,

do you mean that we probably wont be welcome if were just playing for fun and fitness rather than playing serious? If so that's fine and basically what i was asking, i dont want to be holding up someone looking at us saying look at those two twits who cant hit a ball between them. Were not that bad just learning really but I can understand regulars being frustrated having to wait to play when were just having a laugh and basically trying to take up a new sport. So if most of the places are like this I guess tennis isn't for me or is there any place that isn't too busy where we wouldn't be holding serious players up? We actually went down to http://www.chiengmaigymkhana.com/contact-us--location-map.html and it was quite enjoyable, nobody on the 2 courts when we arrived.

One thing was we were charged 300 baht for 1 hour, i'm probably wrong but i thought it was 120 baht per hour plus 40 baht per person for renting the racquets which would 200 baht, i double checked with him and he said 300, didnt want to make a fuss since it was my first time playing there and he seemed a nice enough man, friendly and helpful so if i was done i guess well call it a tip.

So i guess my main question:

Is there any place that isn't too busy where we wouldn't be holding serious players up? The closer to Tha Pae Gate the better but i wouldn't mind travelling a small bit, I was thinking of playing most days of the week and taking lessons too but its a catch 22 if there isnt really any place for beginners to play to learn in the first place.

There are several tennis courts in Chiangmailand as well as a pool. I don't know what the rates are but I suspect, given the low rates for pool usage, they are probably at least in line with others. As for worrying about what people will think of your form, courts are usually booked by the hour. As long as you don't overstay your time, I don't think anybody will care in the least how well you play.

• 2 months later...

I'm arriving in CM at end of February and would love to get involved with a regular 4 for mens doubles or mixed doubles, or a 'mix in' club night at any local place. Staying near Thapai Gate and will have motorbike.

I'm 47, not played in years but reasonable 'club' standard in UK.

Plan to stay for at least 6 months, maybe longer.

Would love to get a regular tennis game.