Honesty In Thailand

davey26

I went in my local 7-11 a few days ago. I don't remember what the total price was, a couple of hundred baht or so, and I paid with a 1000 baht note. I normally don't check my change but I did notice this time that there was no 500B note in the change and not enough 100B notes to explain why. I immediately turned back and held all the change out to show her what she'd just given me and without even counting it or looking in any way surprised, she just told me to wait until she'd served the next customer and would give me the right change when the till was open. She neither acted guilty or questioned the situation. It was almost as if she knew she'd short changed me, been caught out, and didn't really care one way or the other. I now have no idea how many other times she's done it to me and I haven't noticed. I go in there every day. But I now check my change every single time, everywhere I go.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first visit to Thailand was 40 years ago. Ever since I returned to Thailand many times. And now I live on KoSamui since almost three years.

I experienced countless times of Thai honesty. e.g. leaving my expensive camera on a bus. Somebody run after me with the camera. Left my bag with passport and money in internet cafe and in restaurant.

Same. Bag came running after me. Paid a taxi driver in BKK 1.000 instead of 100 Baht. Taxidriver waited outside hotel for a while then came inside and asked about me. He returned 900 Baht to the receptionist who gave it to me. Ofcourse I am also honest to them. Never try to cheat.

But had some negative experirences too. Car dealer sold me a car, big promises about warranty. Lost about 80.000 THB on that one. My fault too.

Been cheated and lied to by two ex g/fs. Consider it my own faults.

Be a nice guy to everyone will pay back to yourself. I like to live here and I carefully choose whom I call my friends.

I am afraid that about half the farangs here are crooks who had better stayed in their home countries.

Do people become terminal cynics after arriving in Thailand, or do Cynics gravitate to Thailand for some reason?

I think cynics fall into one or more of the following categories:-

• they live in the farang ghettos (Pattaya, Patong, Bangkok centre etc) where attitudes to money are a bit more cut-throat - and they simply think all of Thailand is like this
  • they've had one or more shitty relationships with Thai women without actually having a good one
  • they may have had good relationships with Thai women in the past, but are currently in a shitty one
  • their only experience with Thai women is with bar girls
  • they simply have a low opinion of Thais because of a perception that first world countries are "better" than second world countries (an old imperial attitude)
  • they hang around with farangs most of the time

If someone's cynicism is so strong, I truly wonder why they remain in a country where they turn every positive story into a negative one.

I think you missed one example...For some of us, it's in the blood :vampire:

You can never win against the cynics.... "Now the Owner has bought your patronage for 30 baht" ??? come on, are some of you so bitter that this is all you see ?

The Op has posted a positive experience on a forum much more frequently populated by negative ones. People find something wrong with this ?

+1

+2

+3

Often when paying a Taxi driver he rounds the fare down. Can you imagine this in London

I lost my wallet with 16,000 Bt. In Chiang Mai recently. No local ID.

A week later when I went to collect my dry cleaning the owner told me that the Muang Chiang Mai police station had the wallet and the cash waiting for me. They had tracked me down from the dry cleaning ticket and told the owner to inform me when I came in.

They were great to me at the station and I left enough money with the interpreter to buy a bottle of beer for the whole shift.

Apparently such group gifts are a novelty because, when I went back a week later I got a standing O!

I have to agree that it is a pleasant change to hear some good news. To add to your story I was walking down Sukhumvit Rd to meet a friend at the Weston Grand and THB13,000.0 in cash fell out of my pocket as I extracted some documents. I was totally oblivious to the fact until a Thai guy tapped me on the shoulder to hand me the cash another 2 Thai's both ladies had also picked some notes that had blown in the wind. To say I was surprised is an understatment. But it did prove that there are more honest people.

okay I will lift the stakes. I left my wallet in a taxi in BKK with my life in it including 10,000 thb. The boat girl let me ride for free to get home, on the boat the taxi driver called me from the number on my business card, the motorcycle taxi didn't charge me and by the time i got back home the taxi driver was there to meet me with my wallet with all the cash and he refused to take the 5,000 bath reward i offered him. He would not take anything. But i have taken his number and used and give him first call for any intercity trips since then.

dam_n near slipped out of my thongs !!

Visited the 7/11 in Chiang Mai just near Sirinart Gardens and while waiting impatiently for my friend to choose some drinks ended up wandering about the store and purchased some additional snacks .

Paid for the lot together and gave the young man the 700 Baht for a 685 Baht purchase and walked outside to the car .

Surprise , surprise turned around about 30 metres up the road to face a frantic young man calling , Mr Mr , Stop Stop .

Figured I was about to get shafted once again , imagine the smallness I felt coming over me when he hands me back 100 Baht saying , you give to much .

I was so shocked I didnt even have the brains functioning enough to tip him the 100 BHT .

Can only say good is where you find it . and its not found in the bars or in the Tourist hot spots , but this is one of several times I have been very pleased at how the normal genuine Thai person will treat me and others with such honesty and courtesy .

Thank you for such gestures as they surely offset the type of treatment that is so often dished out by the trashy people that haunt the tourist trail .

Edited by philhal2

I found the people in Thailand to be surprisingly honest.

Where else in the world could you leave your motorcycle helmet sitting on the mirror all the time, expensive stylish full face helmet, never stolen. In fact I have only heard one person claim his helmet was stolen in all my time here.

Where else could you go shopping with a pickup truck, leave all your purchases in the back, and walk around making new purchases.

I have never had anything taken out of the back of my pickup.

You wouldn't be able to do that back in the UK or USA!

Edited by ludditeman

I went in my local 7-11 a few days ago. I don't remember what the total price was, a couple of hundred baht or so, and I paid with a 1000 baht note. I normally don't check my change but I did notice this time that there was no 500B note in the change and not enough 100B notes to explain why. I immediately turned back and held all the change out to show her what she'd just given me and without even counting it or looking in any way surprised, she just told me to wait until she'd served the next customer and would give me the right change when the till was open. She neither acted guilty or questioned the situation. It was almost as if she knew she'd short changed me, been caught out, and didn't really care one way or the other. I now have no idea how many other times she's done it to me and I haven't noticed. I go in there every day. But I now check my change every single time, everywhere I go.

Dont worry my local Asian shopkeeper in the UK used to regulalrly pull this one on me and everyitme I used to tell them. Stopped going there after the third time. AlwAYS £1 SHORT They knew dam_n well and I wonder how many others per day they were doing it to, however the difference may be as you said they dont acknowledge anything, in my local shop they do apologise but its meaningless. Same same eh?

Where else in the world could you leave your motorcycle helmet sitting on the mirror all the time, expensive stylish full face helmet, never stolen. In fact I have only heard one person claim his helmet was stolen in all my time here.

Where else could you go shopping with a pickup truck, leave all your purchases in the back, and walk around making new purchases.

Perhaps leave the shopping in the back of your pick up in a dark soi where nobody will lose face for being seen to steal it and see how long it lasts. :rolleyes:

And I have had a helmet stolen off my bike in a shopping centre, actually have a thread on it I think.

My wife had the whole bike stolen and it was locked up.

Perhaps leave the shopping in the back of your pick up in a dark soi where nobody will lose face for being seen to steal it and see how long it lasts.

Of course, that would not happen any other place in the world. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ulysses G.

My parents live in a village in Wales they ofetn leave doors open all day and night and go out , no locks .

Some people seem to have short memories, let me remind you people to keep it civil or else suspensions will occur:

Some of these comments are extremely distasteful and in violation of forum rules regarding extreme negativity towards Thais.

I find it very saddening that some can only reply with nastiness to what is a positive topic.

If that is all you can offer, then I suggest you refrain from posting otherwise there will be something more than just a warning involved.

I shake my head in disbelief at some of these posts.

/Admin

Just to balance my comments about my 7-11 experience a few posts back, I recently went to Chiang Mai zoo and after a good couple of hours of walking around, I noticed I didn't have my motorbike keys with me. I then remembered my friend who I was with had asked me to keep something under the motorbike seat and I was certain that I'd left the keys in the seat lock. I raced back to where I'd parked and thankfully the bike was still there but no keys to be seen. Soon after a security guard came over to me and without me having to say anything, he told me to wait where I was while he went to get the keys, which he'd taken out of the bike and put in the office for safe keeping. I tried to give him 100Baht for his troubles but not only did he refuse to take it, he looked a bit confused as to why I'd even offer it.

While dishonesty occurs everywhere, even in Thailand, I'd say on balance Thai's are generally more honest than a lot of other nations, especially Western ones.

Nice story, Davey. I have many, but here is one. A while back, I was trying to find a new battery for my old cell phone but could not find it anywhere (outdated). Finally went to this small cell phone stall and at first, the guy and gal told me they didn't carry it (nor was it being manufactured anymore). Anyways, the guy said "wait a minute" and found a similar phone to mine, took out the battery, and just gave it to me. I tried to pay for it but he wouldn't have it. Said it was a used phone anyways. Like your story, we're not talking a huge amount. But nice gesture nevertheless, and from folks who aren't exactly swimming in money.

I had a somewhat similar experience last week, though in a different way. I had bought some take-out food from a cafeteria and after collecting the food, I paid and walked off without collecting the change, In fact I don;t even realize that I did not get my change. A few days later when I went back to the same place to buy food again, I was told that I don't have to pay and in fact even got some change back after collecting the order.

In many places, this probably would not happen. Yes there are honest people here, many more than the few dishonest ones I have met.

Ohhh please guys come on, a whole thread about amazing Thailand and its 30 bht refund :rolleyes:

A whole thread all about one USA dollar?

You all think shop owners are so desperately poor that this is front page news? good grief..

Just some thoughts..

• Little Things means A LOT
  • If you cannot be trusted with Little, you cannot be trusted with much..
  • It's not the value that means so much, but the principles behind the actions..

There are thieves everywhere in every country. Here in Thailand, the thieves work harder. They have stolen my wife's peanuts out of the ground and have stolen the fish out of her pond.

I read sometime back that a guy in the US had a refrigerator he wanted to give away. He set it beside his garage with a sign that said "Free for the taking". No one took it. He later put up a new sign that said "For Sale - $50,00". It was stolen that same night.

It seems this topic is winding down, so I will add one more Thai goodwill story.

My first trip to Thailand was in Nov - Dec 2005 and I had nothing but good experiences. Apparently so, since I subsequently made the decision to move here to start a business in spring 2006. I now have a business with 16 staff all Thai and I am the token Canadian boss. I can report first hand that the honesty and integrity of the average Thai cannot be denied.

This is an interesting post, in that it seems to be separating the cream from the sour milk. Like one poster suggested, perhaps you get back what you put in... some of the regular expat outcasts should consider this before they spew the predictable bile we tolerate on TV.

My incident happened before I returned home from my first vacation to LoS. I went to Suan Luam Night Bazaar with a lady friend and I bought ALL of my Christmas gifts for back home (on a Friday, I was going back Sunday AM early, early). Being Friday the beer Garden was hopping and we ended up sampling beers for about 3 hours. In the morning I realized, with shock, that I had left over $300 worth of purchases, in several bags, under the table at the beer garden. I was really pissed with myself because it was going to be a Walmart Christmas, again, only because I had celebrated a little too enthusiastically (got a little hammered).

My friend, bless her, said not to worry and that someone will have found my purchases. I didn't doubt that for a minute but I was certain that they items were a write-off. In any event, we hopped in a cab sometime after noon and went to the nearly empty beer garden. We were approached by 2 servers and explained why we were there, they expressed recognition and one of them went to one of the bar areas and came back with an armload of shopping bags. Every single item was there, I tried to find out who had found the bags and was only told it was someone that was not working at the time (I think they probably had no idea who it was).

We had a beer, tipped very well, Christmas was Merry, and I was back in LoS 4 month later to stay. Of course I have had many other positive experiences since and the negative can usually be chalked up to bad judgment and hanging out with the wrong people. Canada rak Thai!

Last year i went to Phuket to visit friends for a week and hired a motorbike , the day before i was to go back to Bangkok i (stupidly ) put my wallet in my back pocket and went out riding . When i returned to my room i realized i had lost the wallet containing 3500 baht, Credit cards Ect . I had only coins left and had to pay for the room , taxi to airport ect .

I have thai friends who i have been visiting on Phuket for about 20 years and they lent me 5000 baht to get me back to Bangkok .

A week after i was back in Bkk a letter was sent to the hotel i was staying at and in it was my C/Cards , papers ect and letter saying these were found , but no money or wallet .

I was happy to receive my cards ect and consider the loss of the money as a lesson to be careful where u put your wallet .

There are thieves everywhere in every country. Here in Thailand, the thieves work harder. They have stolen my wife's peanuts out of the ground and have stolen the fish out of her pond.

I read sometime back that a guy in the US had a refrigerator he wanted to give away. He set it beside his garage with a sign that said "Free for the taking". No one took it. He later put up a new sign that said "For Sale - $50,00". It was stolen that same night.

Well, there will always be thieves, here in Thailand or anywhere else. But I guess u have not lived in a place where even Trash cans (dustbins) get stolen, resulting in people throwing trash all over since there are not trash can? I;m not saying this place is perfect but that there are many many things that are really good and not found elsewhere or not as widespread.

Question is - what are we doing where we are, to make a difference? Where I used to be in, I can complain about the squatters, despise them and never go near those areas (after all I'm told by well-meaning friends it's dangerous), or I can be helping in areas I can contribute. I used to tell stories to the poor kids (who have a lot of bad influences from the adults around, even parents) and showed them there are better ways to do things. And I've seen some of them (not all) changed for the better and have become more thoughtful of others and the environment they are in.

Interestingly, yr 2nd story is from USA - jut my point, there are good and bad folks everywhere

Last year i went to Phuket to visit friends for a week and hired a motorbike , the day before i was to go back to Bangkok i (stupidly ) put my wallet in my back pocket and went out riding . When i returned to my room i realized i had lost the wallet containing 3500 baht, Credit cards Ect . I had only coins left and had to pay for the room , taxi to airport ect .

I have thai friends who i have been visiting on Phuket for about 20 years and they lent me 5000 baht to get me back to Bangkok .

A week after i was back in Bkk a letter was sent to the hotel i was staying at and in it was my C/Cards , papers ect and letter saying these were found , but no money or wallet .

I was happy to receive my cards ect and consider the loss of the money as a lesson to be careful where u put your wallet .

This has also happened to be before - guess where? In Singapore! I got my wallet back in my mailbox. everything else intact but no more cash. Like you, I too felt thankful at that time.