Beer Festival @ Nimmanhemin, Reports?

PostmanPat

Can anyone whos been to the Beer Festival provide a report back? Is it worth going, or is it a poor Thai attempt to replicate the real beer festivals we have back in Europe? From the photos of the events first night in Citylife, it didnt look very interesting to me. The only signs I could see near the stalls advertising beer were all the usual Thai beers, plus a sprinkling of the Belgian beers which you can get here now from all the usual outlets all the time anyway.

Was there anything really interesting, like British or American "Ale" type beers on draught, for example?

Not much point to it if all you can get is what you can get every day in the supermarkets!! Any information gratefully received. Thanks!!

There are the usual Belgian offerings but the big hit seems to be 5 different brews from Schneider brewery in Germany, they have an organic beer and one that is VERY hoppy, that one is getting alot of notice as that aromatic hoppy flavour is not in any S.E. Asian beers and really not that prevelant in Euro beers. Many Thais are experiencing that unique flavour for the first time. They also have a dark beer that is very malty, though not heavy, that one is popular also.

Ting Tao from china is there, as well as beer Lao, the Schneider 5 glass sampler will make you smile.

Went the other night around 21:00. There were probably less than 50 people there. Didn't notice anyone drinking beer. Was about to order. When I looked up, some guy on the stage whom I assume was someone of importance was about to give a speech when all of a sudden the power went out and it was pitch black save for a few candles here and there. It was priceless. I gave it about 10 minutes and left. Looked to be a terribly boring event.

when all of a sudden the power went out and it was pitch black save for a few candles here and there. It was priceless. I gave it about 10 minutes and left. Looked to be a terribly boring event.

Shame you left, the candles would have made it festive........you could have started singing Silent Night. wink.gif

Went on Saturday - Guinness & Kilkenny's 290 baht a pint blink.gif The music was ok for about ten minutes until a Thai band came on. As someone already posted, it's not very busy and most of the beers are available in CM already. Save your money and go and enjoy a few beers at Kamrai shop a few hundred yards away on Nimmanhaemin Road.

We visited Friday the 16th the 2nd day of the event.

Very few people there... reminded us more of a wine tasting or a

funeral it was swo quite and boring.

Almost everyone there was drinking Chang Beer.

Probally couldn't afford the others.

Prices were not marked most vendor locations.

Sooo be warned... get the price before you drink.

Walked past it a few times since and same thing...

NOT many people and not much of a festive atmosphere.

Went on Saturday - Guinness & Kilkenny's 290 baht a pint blink.gif The music was ok for about ten minutes until a Thai band came on. As someone already posted, it's not very busy and most of the beers are available in CM already. Save your money and go and enjoy a few beers at Kamrai shop a few hundred yards away on Nimmanhaemin Road.

290 a pint???!!! Its considerably cheaper, and almost without doubt kept better at UN Irish, O Malleys, and Red Lion!! Thanks for reports, will give it a miss. Another failed attempt, never mind, suppose we are living half way round the world from the more usual Beer Festival type locations, and the prohibitive taxes on "luxury items" ie those not popular with people in authority dont help.

Funny. You never see "luxury taxes" on any Whiskeys do you, not even the very expensive ones. Cant think why???!!!