Are Thai People The Master Race?

fritter1970

I see one Thailand but keep hearing about another.

The Thailand that I see is one of the "Land Of Smiles". A friendly and courteous people.

But westerners who have been in Thailand a long, long time say that in reality most Thai people view themselves as a separate, higher-level form of human to other races.

I am hoping to get feedback from people who have been in Thailand a long time and can help me understand what is the "real Thailand".

If you search around in the forums, you will no doubt find an endless array of similar topics.

Since I seem to be among the first batch of responders, I will say that ...

This is the short story version.

Yes, the Thai educational system and power bodys encourage Thais to be very proud of their culture and to diminish or even altogether ignore other cultures. There is certainly an 'us and them' system of thinking often employed here.

However, if you look at history, you find this most anywhere. Notable current examples: USA, Germany, UK, Greece, Japan, China, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Egypt ...

This topic is actually too complex to be informed in one spot, so I recommend checking out the following links if you want to really understand this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaification

http://kyotoreview.cseas.kyoto-u.ac.jp/issue/issue2/article_251.html

Out of curiosity, what makes you ask this question?

Thanks,

If you search around in the forums, you will no doubt find an endless array of similar topics.

Yes, the Thai educational system and power bodys encourage Thais to be very proud of their culture and to diminish or even altogether ignore other cultures. There is certainly an 'us and them' system of thinking often employed here.

However, if you look at history, you find this most anywhere. Notable current examples: USA, Germany, UK, Greece, Japan, China, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Egypt ...

This topic is actually too complex to be informed in one spot, so I recommend checking out the following links if you want to really understand this.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Thaification

http://kyotoreview.c...rticle_251.html

Thanks,

Thanks for the feedback ThailandMan.

I am asking the question because I visit Thailand regularly but feel that I do not spend enough time to break through the barriers and understand how Thai people really tick.

In short, I just want to understand Thai culture. How Thai people really see the world. And I think this nationalistic version of Thai culture that I hear about is possibly the biggest trait of the Thai character so would like to understand firstly, if it is true, and secondly, how it works.

Nothing to do with "the Master Race"; it is to do with preferential treatment for people of Thai nationality, protectionism, nation-building and prevention of inter-regional conflict, a cover for those holding senior positions in society to deflect criticism, etc.

It has been used by many, if not all countries at some point or other. By pushing it heavily in the school syllabus and on radio and then TV for the last 60 years, it has become heavily impressed on the psyche of most citizens.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Thaification

http://kyotoreview.c...rticle_251.html

Thanks,

Thanks for the feedback ThailandMan.

I am asking the question because I visit Thailand regularly but feel that I do not spend enough time to break through the barriers and understand how Thai people really tick.

In short, I just want to understand Thai culture. How Thai people really see the world. And I think this nationalistic version of Thai culture that I hear about is possibly the biggest trait of the Thai character so would like to understand firstly, if it is true, and secondly, how it works.

Anytime.

I think long time non-Thais living in Thailand would tell you that to really understand the Thais, you might spend the remainder of your life! :)

I too am interested in this topic, and I think this part of the Thai psyche does play a prominent role in defining many/most of them. Good luck with your research.

I think Thais see themselves as special, and they are proud of their language and culture, so they tend to be insular and nationalistic. I hardly think they're the only small nation in the world like this. If you see yourself as surrounded by hostile forces, and potentially dominated by powerful forces abroad, nationalistic patriotism is a form of cultural defence.

It's worth noting, though, that during the ascendent years of Thai nationalism, in the early part of the 20th century and again in the 30s, nationalism took the form of imitating the West. These were the years of the Thai elite being educated at Eton and Sandhurst, the introduction of the Boy Scout movement, laws requiring people to wear western styles of dress (including hats and gloves), the encouragement of polite forms of greeting (Sawasdee and the wai instead of nods and "pai nai?" etc.) and the use of khob khun (thank you), though the latter didn't catch on as well. Luang Phiboonsongkram and Pridi Panomyong had noted these widespread courtesies and absorbed a sense of style when they were students in France.

I don't think being proud of your country and its language and culture is a bad thing. Taken to militaristic extremes and extended to ethnic cleansing it is, of course, malevolent, but the Thais, though not innocent of ethnic chauvinism and racism, have not gone that far - at least not since the mid-19th century (apart from some terrible and reasonably recent episodes). I really couldn't see the Thais adopting full-on fascism, though some of their political leadership was attracted to it in the 30s and 40s.

If we in western countries were as proud of our countries as Thais are of theirs we would be a lot better off. Sadly we live in a world where the prime minister of the UK feels the need to travel round the world apologising for being British and kids are brought up to be ashamed of their heritage.

I think Thais see themselves as special, and they are proud of their language and culture, so they tend to be insular and nationalistic. I hardly think they're the only small nation in the world like this. If you see yourself as surrounded by hostile forces, and potentially dominated by powerful forces abroad, nationalistic patriotism is a form of cultural defence.

"they are proud of their language and culture, so they tend to be insular and nationalistic"

Language, how many loan words from Pali and Sanskrit, you only need to look at the spelling and pronounciation of these words to know their roots.

Culture, how much of it is actually Thai and not imported from India and Cambodia eg Khmer culture?

What about the national dish, Som Tam, where are those ingredients mainly from.

Of course if poor old Somcahia isnt taught any different its not really his fault is it?

I think the fact that I have had to delete about half of this thread already (in the first page) because of many posts in violation of forum rules regarding obscenities, racism and extreme negativity towards all Thais has answered my question about how far this topic can be allowed to go. It appears some of our members need to take a long hard look at why they live in this country.

//CLOSED//