Mae Sai To Chiang Rai

Finlaco

Hi

I've read on hobo maps that there is now a minivan service (from November 2011) from Mae Sai to CR. Anyone know the cost and from where in Mae Sai/ Chiang Rai it departs from? Also does the minivan drop you off anywhere in CR (different provinces, different rules).

Thanks

Hi

I've read on hobo maps that there is now a minivan service (from November 2011) from Mae Sai to CR. Anyone know the cost and from where in Mae Sai/ Chiang Rai it departs from? Also does the minivan drop you off anywhere in CR (different provinces, different rules).

Thanks

Not sure why you want a minivan service but there are quite a few buses go from Mai Sai to Chiang Rai. If you're near the border crossing there are loads of Songtaews waiting nearby that take people out to the bus station (near the 7/11 on the left as you look down the road from the border post). They normally have a sign saying 'bus station' so it's hard to miss. From the bus station you can try for one of the VIP buses but they are not too frequent but there will be local bone shakers which are very cheap. Anyway I'm not saying there aren't minvan services but my in my limited experience the minivans I've seen are the visa runners from places like Chiang Mai etc and are usually booked and full. Best of luck

PS the Songtaew to the bus station was around 10 or 20 baht

Edited by sysardman

'Not sure why you want a minivan service' - when time is not important the 'slow' bus adds to the 'fun' of travelling in rural Thailand - I’ve done the slow bus many times when it’s taken 120/90mins to cover 61km - I'm coming from BKK to Mae Sai (arrive 6am) and then need to be back to CR before 11am to catch the last songthaew to my guesthouse