Thailand To Get Decent Coffee

george

Freshly brewed from Laos

BANGKOK: -- A Lao producer is tapping growing demand for high-quality coffee with plans to sell franchises for an outlet opened last year in Bangkok

The company opened the first Laotian coffee shop in Thailand last year on Rama IX Road in Bangkok and plans to franchise the outlet in the future.

Sold under the Dao Coffee brand, it is made from Robusta and Arabica coffee beans and is one of the local products from Pak Song City of Kwaeng Champasak in Laos where there is vast fertile land with volcanic soil and water resources, making it suitable for coffee plantations.

"We placed our instant coffee for sale at large discount stores in Thailand such as Makro and Big C two months ago. We are about to put it in Tesco Lotus in soon," said Leuang Litdang, president of Dao Rueng Import-Export Co, the largest trader of duty-free products and one of the major integrated coffee business owners in Laos.

The instant coffee is available for sale in the form of three-in-one, ground and brewing products. It is made from beans planted, processed and packed by the company's plant in Pak Se City in Kwaeng Champasak.

Mr Leuang pointed out that the company's coffee products had gained in popularity worldwide and were now key exports of Laos. Major export destinations for the products include France, Italy, Holland, and Japan.

The company generates around US$1 million annually from selling around 500 tonnes of raw coffee beans. Its yearly coffee bean production in Laos totals 20 million tonnes.

Apart from positioning its coffee products in the Thai market, Mr Leuang said, Dao Coffee planned to franchise its coffee shops in the country.

"Other coffee growers have expressed an interest to sell coffee from their plantations in our shops. We plan to start a chain of franchise shops," he said.

In addition, the company plans to set up a coffee-processing plant in the Phibun Mangsahan district of Ubon Ratchathani, which is adjacent to Pak Se City.

"We are in the process of finding a suitable location. We need time to survey transport routes and the markets in Thailand because they outnumber those in Laos," he said.

Mr Leuang's daughter, Boonreuang Litdang, who is in charge of the company's marketing activities in Thailand, said the company also planned to develop more than 1,000 rai of its coffee plantation area in Pak Song City into an integrated farming-related tourist site.

The site will purchase coffee beans from thousands of local households, and have a coffee plant nursery and plantation, give harvesting and processing demonstrations and provide restaurants and accommodations in conjunction with the Lao Tai tour programme offered by local tour companies.

Ms Boonreuang is not concerned about the stiff competition from producers of brand-name coffee in Thailand because her company has it own coffee plantation and processing plant.

"Our selling point is that we grow coffee trees in a fertile plantation area without insecticides and produce coffee beans without modifying their colours and flavours."

Prior to entering into the coffee business, the Litdang family, who are Lao-Vietnamese descendants, imported many products including sugar, monosodium glutamate, liquor and cigarettes.

The family now operates three duty-free shops at the Wang Tao checkpoint opposite Chong Mek of the Sirinthorn district in Ubon Rathcathani, in Vientiane, and in Lao Bang Town on Highway 9 adjacent to Vietnam. It plans to open its fourth outlet at Kwaeng Suwan Ket.

The company began developing the coffee plantation five years ago. It bought coffee saplings from Vietnam and distributed them to local people who were participating in a state-supported occupation promotion programme.

--Bangkok Post 2005-11-28

Could be good if they get the branding and marketing right.

I remember seeing a docu on a Vietnamese company doing quite well in the USA ,doing the same thing,although the name escapes me.

Freshly brewed from Laos

BANGKOK: -- A Lao producer is tapping growing demand for high-quality coffee with plans to sell franchises for an outlet opened last year in Bangkok

The company opened the first Laotian coffee shop in Thailand last year on Rama IX Road in Bangkok and plans to franchise the outlet in the future.

Sold under the Dao Coffee brand, it is made from Robusta and Arabica coffee beans and is one of the local products from Pak Song City of Kwaeng Champasak in Laos where there is vast fertile land with volcanic soil and water resources, making it suitable for coffee plantations.

"We placed our instant coffee for sale at large discount stores in Thailand such as Makro and Big C two months ago. We are about to put it in Tesco Lotus in soon," said Leuang Litdang, president of Dao Rueng Import-Export Co, the largest trader of duty-free products and one of the major integrated coffee business owners in Laos.

The instant coffee is available for sale in the form of three-in-one, ground and brewing products. It is made from beans planted, processed and packed by the company's plant in Pak Se City in Kwaeng Champasak.

Mr Leuang pointed out that the company's coffee products had gained in popularity worldwide and were now key exports of Laos. Major export destinations for the products include France, Italy, Holland, and Japan.

The company generates around US$1 million annually from selling around 500 tonnes of raw coffee beans. Its yearly coffee bean production in Laos totals 20 million tonnes.

Apart from positioning its coffee products in the Thai market, Mr Leuang said, Dao Coffee planned to franchise its coffee shops in the country.

"Other coffee growers have expressed an interest to sell coffee from their plantations in our shops. We plan to start a chain of franchise shops," he said.

In addition, the company plans to set up a coffee-processing plant in the Phibun Mangsahan district of Ubon Ratchathani, which is adjacent to Pak Se City.

"We are in the process of finding a suitable location. We need time to survey transport routes and the markets in Thailand because they outnumber those in Laos," he said.

Mr Leuang's daughter, Boonreuang Litdang, who is in charge of the company's marketing activities in Thailand, said the company also planned to develop more than 1,000 rai of its coffee plantation area in Pak Song City into an integrated farming-related tourist site.

The site will purchase coffee beans from thousands of local households, and have a coffee plant nursery and plantation, give harvesting and processing demonstrations and provide restaurants and accommodations in conjunction with the Lao Tai tour programme offered by local tour companies.

Ms Boonreuang is not concerned about the stiff competition from producers of brand-name coffee in Thailand because her company has it own coffee plantation and processing plant.

"Our selling point is that we grow coffee trees in a fertile plantation area without insecticides and produce coffee beans without modifying their colours and flavours."

Prior to entering into the coffee business, the Litdang family, who are Lao-Vietnamese descendants, imported many products including sugar, monosodium glutamate, liquor and cigarettes.

The family now operates three duty-free shops at the Wang Tao checkpoint opposite Chong Mek of the Sirinthorn district in Ubon Rathcathani, in Vientiane, and in Lao Bang Town on Highway 9 adjacent to Vietnam. It plans to open its fourth outlet at Kwaeng Suwan Ket.

The company began developing the coffee plantation five years ago. It bought coffee saplings from Vietnam and distributed them to local people who were participating in a state-supported occupation promotion programme.

--Bangkok Post 2005-11-28

That was probably the dark roast, or "lao style" coffee. I am talking about roasted beans--we got the Scandanavian Roast--light color and absolutely delicious!

Could well have been SBK, it was the most expensive in the shop, arabica beans, but bl**dy strong! I'm no coffee expert, I just buy what I like. For a long time now I bought VPP premier blend, cos I like it. Then a couple of months ago I bought 7 different brands that I've never had before, including some expensive brands, most were ok....but I've still gone back to my VPP!

There are a couple of Thai brands available from Foodland, from the Chiang Mai area. I think some are 100% Arabica. Probably related to, or copying the concept of, the Royally-sponsored projects to convert hilltribes from growing opium to growing coffee.

Most of the Royal Project produce is exported as a luxury product. Good quality Thai coffee is available all over the world as a "fair trade" product. Except, naturally in Thailand, where the locals think they are being sophisticated by drinking imported Nescafe.

All supermarkets in Bangkok sell Northern Thai coffee - several brands, but not roasted beans, only ground coffee, and mostly blends. They are ok for the price but it's not premium coffee, even the most expensive ones, IMO.

If Laotians are going to succeed in Thailand they are not going to sell beans either - instant 3-in-1, maybe ground coffee. Problem is Thais don't particulalry care what coffee they are drinking - add some milk, ice, charge 20 baht, and you are in business. There's very little market for really good coffee.

Let's wait and see what Laos is going to offer, but I don't hold my breath yet.

Got to admit that I am getting a bit fed up with Black Canyon but as yet havnt really found anywhere to enjoy a decent cup of the brown nector so this news sounds good.

Last time in Sam Prac I stopped off a a little shop house (got me hair cut - 40 bt)and tried the old "nora batty"style of filtered fused speciality...jeasu cristi.....with the taste and smell I recon she had only just discarded her old sox.

Even with loads of sickly fermented "carnation" and rock sugar in it.. it still tasted like the dregs of a tormented house bound sweaty buffalos endocrin glands.

In the meantime I will stick to "cha lon"... :o

Perhaps they filter that through old socks.

I usually buy Aroma from Foodland Ramintra where they have a large selection of beans and will grind them for you, and Starbucks also sells beans. Those two are the best, for me. Suzuki does not cut it. No choice of roast anywhere, though.