Hearing Aid For My Old Dad!

katyb

Hello,

My dear old dad is coming over with Mum to visit for a month in Feb. He is now really struggling to hear normal conversation and is getting very frustrated as he still thinks he is Peter Pan even at 76! He's decided that now is the time to get a hearing aid and after looking into it in the UK he is confused to say the least as they can range from a few hundred quid to a £3000 or £4000 back home!

Does anybody know of a good model of hearing aid - the small one that you can hide inside your ear apparently - and if so can you tell me where we might get him one in Bangkok or elsewhere?

Many thanks for any help in advance.

Kate

Hello,

Does anybody know of a good model of hearing aid - the small one that you can hide inside your ear apparently - and if so can you tell me where we might get him one in Bangkok or elsewhere?

Most hospitals (ie Bumrungrad and BNH that I know of) have audiology depts that will test your hearing and recommend hearing aids.

There is also a Bangkok company called "Hearing Aid Center" at #20 on Soi 22 (Sukhumvit) which is about 200-300 mtrs off Sukhumvit. Their tel number is 02-259-2502.

They deal only with hearing aids and the main sales rep is Mr. Vichai. There is also an MD on the premises who reviews the tests. Both speak excellent English. They sell Philips Spaceline hearing aids (known as Beltone in the US) and possibly other models. I paid B55k for one (in-the-ear) about 4 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for long delay in thanking you both - my reply thingy wasn't workign for some reason so didn't know I had any responses.

Anyway many thanks to both of you, this gives us something to go on when he arrives as I hadn't got a clue where to start.

Regards

Kate

Hello,

My dear old dad is coming over with Mum to visit for a month in Feb.  He is now really struggling to hear normal conversation and is getting very frustrated as he still thinks he is Peter Pan even at 76!  He's decided that now is the time to get a hearing aid and after looking into it in the UK he is confused to say the least as they can range from a few hundred quid to a £3000 or £4000 back home!

Many thanks for any help in advance.

Kate

First a question? None of my bussines but why didn,t your Dad get one from the national healyh in the uk.However i have a digital on e that i bought here Firstly i attended queensuwang wattana hospital in si racha the doctor i saw there has a local private clinic and he fixed me up with a hearing aid at the cost of about15,000 baht or 220 pounds. Albert.

First a question? None of my bussines but why didn,t your Dad get one from the national healyh in the uk.However i have a digital on e that i bought here Firstly i attended queensuwang wattana hospital in si racha the doctor i saw there has a local private clinic and he fixed me up with a hearing aid at the cost of about15,000 baht or 220 pounds.      Albert.

Hi Albert,

He is getting one from the NHS but he has seen some that you have to buy that are meant to be better - somthing like a small wire that can be hidden inside the ear. These are really expensive in UK so were just wondering if we could get him one here.

Thanks for the tip.

Kate

First a question? None of my bussines but why didn,t your Dad get one from the national healyh in the uk.However i have a digital on e that i bought here Firstly i attended queensuwang wattana hospital in si racha the doctor i saw there has a local private clinic and he fixed me up with a hearing aid at the cost of about15,000 baht or 220 pounds.      Albert.

Hi Albert,

He is getting one from the NHS but he has seen some that you have to buy that are meant to be better - somthing like a small wire that can be hidden inside the ear. These are really expensive in UK so were just wondering if we could get him one here.

Thanks for the tip.

The Hearing aid i was refering to does fit inside the ear.There are no wires Albert

Kate

• 2 months later...

Kate what your father probably has in mind is the GNResound Air product.

GNResound was the first co. to produce the open fit type product, but now most of the large hearing aid mfg's have their own version.

Phonak, Starkey, Siemens, Hanaston, Widex, Unitron, Rexton, all have their own versions.

Now the problem you may face, is finding a vendor that will sell you the open fit type products. They are fairly new to the market, and Thailand vendors, may not be up to snuff on these products.

Maroongroge Ltd.

Phone # 02-225-2325-7 (call in the afternoon hours)

Ask for Tavee, tell her that you spoke with her "John" through the internet in America, and I refered you to her.

Marrongroge is the largest hearing aid/audilogical supplies co. in Thailand, and they are vendors for GNResound and Rexton products. (GN Resound happens to be my favorite of the two)

I am a doctorate level audiologist, and will soon be working in Thailand. I expect to be there around May. (if that is any help)

I have a Starkey which cost Baht 72,000 and apart from some initial teething problems is OK. The problem I found was getting the settings right as it is all done with the suppliers computer and the levels in the studio are not the same as in the outside world. What seemed fine during tuning was either too loud, or too soft or too tinny outside. It took a few weeks to get it right as I was not going back every day to have adjustments made, but would wear it for a few days to see if I adjusted to the new level of hearing. I am pretty comfortable with it now and no one notices I am wearing it - not that I care anyway - being known to be deaf can have its advantages at times!

I would suggest though that you should take into account how long your father is here so that you do have time to go back for adjustments as necessary to get it right.

""I would suggest though that you should take into account how long your father is here so that you do have time to go back for adjustments as necessary to get it right.""

The new open fit products sometimes called "mini BTE" do not require a custom ear mold. This means a persom could order a hearing aid, and recieve it on the same day. But I would not advise you to wait until the last moment to purchase the hearing aids. As before mentioned, he may want some adjustments made.

He could also have his hearing aids adjusted at his home country, as long as he purchases hearing aids from a major hearing aid mfg., such as the brands I mentioned before.