International Hot-Air Balloon Festival

SwaziBird

Have seen a flyer for this event coming up this week-end, Friday through to Sunday.

The ballon designs and colours look absolutely stunning and so very different to the usual shapes. It should prove to be a fantastic show.

However, no details given of programme/schedules and the like.

It will be really appreciated if anyone with any information could kindly share, particularly where and how to get to the launch field.

Thanks.

Cheers.

Chiang Mai International Balloon Fiesta 2012

Chiang Mai International Balloon Fiesta 2012 will be held between the 20th and 22nd January 2012, on the Activity Field, at Sansailuang Local Administration Office.

After four successful years of holding the annual International Balloon Fiesta in Pattaya, this year’s fiesta will be held in Chiang Mai for the first time.

This event will be in celebration of the 84th birthday of His Majesty the King.

More than 20 balloons from all over the world will be participating, with pilots from Belgium, France, Germany, India, Japan, Malaysia, The Netherlands, Switzerland, United States of America, Vietnam and Thailand.

The balloons will start on Friday around 4pm , saturday 6.30am + 4pm and sunday 6.30am + 4pm.

There will be a spectecular nightglow every evening.

For more information

http://chiangmaiballoon.com/

Would highly recommend a visit to the Chiang Mai Balloon Festival. We were there this afternoon and

found it:

1. Parking very easy-

2. Area in which it is being held is quite spacious and well laid out

3. Event was well organized

4. Very good collection of balloons (23) for this part of the world including a number of special

designs

5. Plenty of food and beverage stands but in no way detracts from the event itself-unlike what

you find too often

6. Event is free but may have to pay small fee for parking-we got there early and no one was collecting

but they seemed to be when we left

post-36424-0-74857800-1327076569_thumb.jpost-36424-0-83705600-1327076583_thumb.jpost-36424-0-75567500-1327076598_thumb.jpost-36424-0-74651000-1327076615_thumb.j

Edited by L&J

I agree with what L&J said. 10 baht motorbike parking with ample parking space, well organized, announcements in English and Thai. The website worked for a time yesterday but not now. First flight of balloons around 6am then festivities restart around 4pm with another flight followed by a night glow at 7pm and live music around 8pm. Continues for two more days (21st & 22nd).

coming from the cnx city center go down 118 (kaew Nawarat), cross super highway, cross outer ring road and take a left on 1001. The balloons will be on your left.

note that this 1001 isn't the same 1001 that takes you to Phrao, this 1001 is the connecting road to Mae Jo from San Sai and is accessed on 118.

note that this 1001 isn't the same 1001 that takes you to Phrao, this 1001 is the connecting road to Mae Jo from San Sai and is accessed on 118.

Actually...I noticed that on the map and since I live 5 minutes from there I made note of it myself for the first time even though I have traveled those roads literally hundreds of times I never noticed the numbers...

Couldn't be more confusing could it???

Watched through my binocs. this morning - yes, I know it's not the same as being there - and saw a parachutist gliding amongst the balloons and riding those thermals.

I presume that he jumped from a balloon. That's not very high, is it ?

Any opinions on that possibility or did I just miss an aeroplane jump ?

Cheers.

What you most likely saw were paragliders as seen in the photos from the Balloon Festival yesterday (below).

They have a parachute like rig that is manuvered by a engine driven fan attached behind them. Not sure the

balloon pilots appreciate them being around though sure no one can do anything about it.

post-36424-0-38174100-1327121973_thumb.j

post-36424-0-97706900-1327121981_thumb.j

Actually...I noticed that on the map and since I live 5 minutes from there I made note of it myself for the first time even though I have traveled those roads literally hundreds of times I never noticed the numbers...

Couldn't be more confusing could it???

I got lost in that area 2 days ago travelling Rim Klong, so i made a note of it !

Rim Klong by the way makes a nice 3 hour day trip riding along the klong's service road.

Edited by KRS1

Had 4 of the balloons come close to our house this morning, out in the rice fields south of San Kamphaeng. Magical moment, around 8 am. Half expecting those awful paramotors to follow them, but thankfully those obnoxious a$$holes didn't turn up.

Not to try to outdo the previous post, but one of the Japanese balloons landed in my village at the neighbor's house among the trees and all. One of the pilots onboard had a serious case of stomach cramps and needed a toilet. What a surprise for the local people to have a balloon arrive totally unannounced. About ten minutes or so later they were up, up and away again. Many photots were taken, and surely this event will become part of local lore for a long time to come. Great fun.

Does anyone know if this annual event will be in Chiang Mai again next year, or will it return to Phuket or elsewhere?

• Like 1

One of the pilots onboard had a serious case of stomach cramps and needed a toilet.

Yep, need to lighten the load to rise up again smile.png

Which one was it? The red & orange checked one did make a rapid descent into the rice field, but was obscured by trees. Then after a couple of minutes they were airbourne again....

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 1

Would highly recommend a visit to the Chiang Mai Balloon Festival. We were there this afternoon and

found it:

1. Parking very easy-

2. Area in which it is being held is quite spacious and well laid out

3. Event was well organized

4. Very good collection of balloons (23) for this part of the world including a number of special

designs

5. Plenty of food and beverage stands but in no way detracts from the event itself-unlike what

you find too often

6. Event is free but may have to pay small fee for parking-we got there early and no one was collecting

but they seemed to be when we left

post-36424-0-74857800-1327076569_thumb.jpost-36424-0-83705600-1327076583_thumb.jpost-36424-0-75567500-1327076598_thumb.jpost-36424-0-74651000-1327076615_thumb.j

Haha... I missed out these funky balloons...

Yes, it was great. Went for the evening night show (not so impressive) but still cool to watch them unfold and get the balloons filled with hot air. Everyone was very well behaved. Had this been in the States, there would have been security stationed every 5 meters, but it seems here people know how to conduct themselves in a civilized manner (as long as alcohol doesn't become a factor).

I played AirAsia's dart game and won a free tote bag! What a day!