Dipel (Bacillus Thuringiensis) - Catepillar Control

aquaponeer

Does anyone know where Dipel (Bacillus thuringiensis) can be purchased in Bangkok?

Does it go by another Brand name in Thailand, and/or does anyone know the

Thai translation?

Having a hell of a time with catepillars.

Dipel is a natural [bacterial - using Bacillus thuringiensis] way to control pests that remains safe to use around fish.

http://www.yates.com.au/products/pest-control/insects-concentrates/natures-way-caterpillar-killer-dipel/

I have a little more time to comment on this today, (and try not to get distracted by the "Russian Love Match" ad).

I have not used Dipel in Thailand or on agricultural plants, but I have used it extensively for tree feeding caterpillars, primarily the California Oak Moth Larvae that in some years completely defoliate Coast Live Oaks in the area where I live and work.

It is tricky to use and may be frustrating and even ineffective for those who are accustomed to "knock down" insecticides, and who don't do their homework and have pest monitoring skills and patience.

First you have to use the correct strain of BT for the specific target pest. Then you have to know the life cycle of the pest and at what stage BT is effective. For oak worms we have to spray Dipel during the first, second and third instars (younger stages of caterpillar development). 4th and 5th instar worms are not as easily controlled with BT. Spray when no rain is expected, or if a field crop, prior to overhead irrigation. Use a compatible spreader-sticker in order to get some residual for feeding worms; it's not a contact spray, they need to injest the BT bacteria as they feed. It takes a few days for the bacteria to kill the worms and control to take place, and a repeat application in a week or 10 days is usually needed to get adequate control. Don't expect 100% control; as with most biological controls, the objective is to reduce pest population to a tolerable level.

An alternative that you might consider is neem oil based pesticide, a repellant and reproductive disruptor, which as far as I know a little overspray is not lethal to fish as most common contact pesticides are.

• Like 1

The beauty of Nee Oil is that it disrupts the central nervous system of soft shelled pests--does not harm hard shelled bugs (good bugs) by making them forget to eat. So they starve.

Neem is harmfl to bees, so don't spray at sunset or sundown.

• 10 months later...

I am having a problem with Lily Moth Caterpillars that are destroying my Giant Lilies. I have had an

entomologist friend around to identify them and give me advice. Apart from picking the blighters off

when I can, she recommended Dipel.

Actually my question was can I find Dipel in either Lao PDR or in Thailand. I won't be in Bangkok in the

near future and was thinking of trying provincial centres. However reading the posts below, I will try and

find out where I can get Neem-based insecticide.

I am a keen gardening and try to be organic. My expectations are not total eradication, but control.

Right now there seems to be a local infestation of this caterpillar and I have heard that other gardeners

are troubled by this particular pest. However I don't know what others are doing about it.