Visa And Residency

Hi all

I am new to this and would like some help if possible.

I am from Australia and i have a Thai partner and she has a daughter and i am wanting to move to Thailand permanently.

I have been coming back to see partner and daughter for past 5 months on a stamped visa as i work overseas.

I am looking at becoming a non resident of Australia and i was wondering what visa would be best for me and can i apply for the visa while in Thailand or do i have to go back to Australia?

I will be back in Thailand every 3 months as i work in Africa and would like to make Thailand my place of residence but i have heard it is very hard to get residency in Thailand.

Me and my partner are planning to get married would this help in getting a long term visa?

I have not yet started a bank account up in Thailand but can someone help in what i will need to start an account and if there is a minimum amount needed and is it better to start up a bank account just in my name for visa requirements or can we have a joint account?

I have just taken out a 12month lease on a property in Hua Hin as we are moving there for our daughters schooling does this help out on getting aa visa?

I have heard that you can get a marriage visa are we better off getting married first then applying for a long term visa?

What is involved in getting my partners child my last name when we get married?

Any feedback is much appreciated

You would have to be married to obtain anything more than a tourist visa with your plans and for your frequent travel a multi entry non immigrant O visa is what you would want. For extension of stay bank account should be in your name but for visa (which is what you will be using until living here full time I suspect) account can be joint. Property will not help getting a visa. But with marriage certificate/wife ID card and home register copy you should be able to obtain the above visa from a Consulate. Currently Savannakhet will issue without any proof of funds and KL with 100k baht (or equal) in an account somewhere. Am sure Consulates in Oz will also issue without need of funds (other than perhaps normal 20k. You would not qualify for residency not working here but one year extensions of stay are available after you move here and that is what most people use. As for adoption of child you might want to ask in the family section.

I am guessing from the gist of your original post that part of your motivation to become a "non-resident of Australia" is to escape from Australian income taxation. At those rates, I can't blame you. Becoming a tax resident of Thailand is relatively straightforward --- simply be physically present in Thailand for more than 180 days in a calendar year. Becoming a non-resident of Australia for tax purposes is slightly more complex --- not surprisingly, the ATO is reluctant to let a good taxpayer go. They can use a number of tests to determine if you are still tax-resident in Australia, including physical presence but also ongoing ties (property, immediate family, bank accounts, credit cards, other financial interests). Sever as many of these financial relationships as you can and spend as little time in Australia as possible.

Note that even if you become non-resident for tax purposes in Australia, you must still pay tax on Australia source income (e.g. rental income).