Marlboro At Duty Free

For at least a year or maybe two there have been a sign saying supply problems so its not available at the duty free anything changed since January?

I paid 550 baht for Lucky Strikes in January and if no Marlboro or even better my Prince, from the old country, which it were until Marlboro disappearred, is available then I would prefer to spend the 720 baht at Makro for a cartoon of Marlboros and bring it with me.

Its a joke that they can not work out the issue of duty free cigarettes with a company like Phillip Morris.

To the non-smokers we don't need you to preach smoking is bad we know! No need to remind us, I am simply asking a question on availability.

I don't know the real story but supply problems is a lie. They haven't had Marlboro for over 6 years so don't hold your breath.

It were available about 2 years ago along with Prince (Danish brand) but I read something about some import duty issues with Phillip Morris since the duty frees are made in the Philippines. No issues getting Marlboro at the border shops to Laos but beside the fact that BKK is very expensive airside compared to landside about 5 times as expensive.

Last week I did a domestic flight 7-11 land side 7 baht for a bottle of water, air side 35 baht its a 500% mark up and not even in Europe you see that.

This is not a duty free operator issue rather an issue with the Thailand tobacco tax department

against Marlboro and LM. There is more to this but will cut short.

The dispute has been in litigation since 2006, however there was an article on the BP about

3month ago that stated that the WTO favored PMI on the tax issue and overturned the verdict

against the Thai govt. stating that Marl/LM abided under the AFTA agreement w/Thailand

on Tobacco.

As far as buying DF on the Lao airport & borders, Cambodia airport& borders, Vietnam airports, borders

not affected.

Yes it is several years since Philip Morris cigarettes have been stocked by the Kingpower monopoly. I can't remember where I read/heard this but apparently it is because of the horrible photos that must be printed on all tobacco packaging in Thailand. Though Phillip Morris obviously has to comply when their products are sold domestically, they refused to do so when the requirement was extended to duty free sales, preferring not to sell at all.