U.S. soldier detained after opening fire at Afghan civilians

News_Editor

U.S. soldier detained after opening fire at Afghan civilians

2012-03-11 15:40:14 GMT+7 (ICT)

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (BNO NEWS) -- A U.S. service member was arrested on early Sunday morning after going on a shooting spree in southern Afghanistan, killing as many as seventeen civilians and injuring others, officials said.

The attack happened at around 3:45 a.m. local time when a U.S. soldier opened fire in the Panjwai district of Kandahar province. "A U.S. Army soldier, at around 3 o'clock, came out [of his base] and turned his gun at the people," a spokesman for the governor said, adding that civilians had been wounded.

Few details about the number of casualties were immediately available, but a member of the Kandahar provincial council who visited the scene said as many as 17 civilians had been killed. Major Jason Wagner, a spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), could not confirm those figures.

"Right now our initial reporting is indicating that there were an unconfirmed number of casualties," Wagner said, without giving specific numbers. "There were some who were wounded, of course, and those wounded are being treated at a coalition medical facility now."

A brief statement from ISAF said the U.S. soldier, whose identity was not immediately released, had been arrested. "This is a deeply regrettable incident and we extend our thoughts and concerns to the families involved," the statement said. "U.S. Forces-Afghanistan (USFOR-A), in cooperation with Afghan authorities, will investigate this incident and release additional information as appropriate."

Sunday's incident comes after weeks of violence after U.S. troops were accused of burning Qurans at the Bagram Airbase. The accusations triggered a series of violent protests across Afghanistan which have left more than 30 people killed, including six U.S. soldiers who insurgents said were killed in revenge.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-03-11

This is a terrible incident indeed. Both for the victims and the individual involved.Hope this guy gets some serious care and treatment. And is not branded a criminal.

Edited by coma

I wonder what motivated him? The recent shootings of Nato troops and U.N staff due to an accidentally burned Quran might have something to do with it. P.S Not excusing the incident in any way but even people who go postal usually have some underlying motive as well as mental illness.

Edit: But I wouldn't mind betting that the fallout from this tragic incident turns out to be less than that from the burning of holy books.

Edited by Steely Dan

This is of course a horrible tragedy for the victims and their families and absolutely, unconditionally an unforgivable crime.

But I'd not be at all surprised if, as others have suggested, the soldier in question was not just some hate-filled crazed killer but rather something of a victim himself...in any case the repercussions certainly may go beyond the loss of life and this is sad on a lot of levels.

Awful.

Whatever excuses you make for him​ this is <snip> bad, A lot of soldiers US, Brits, French or whatever are gonna die co's of this <snip>

If he had that kind of anger why not do it on the battle field and maybe win a kin medal!

Edited by metisdead
Profanities removed.

This is a terrible incident indeed. Both for the victims and the individual involved.Hope this guy gets some serious care and treatment. And is not branded a criminal.

A US soldier has shot dead at least 16 Afghan civilians, including nine children, after entering their homes in the middle of the night. The victims included women and elderly men...

I cannot explain the motivation behind such callous acts,
but they were in no way part of authorised Isaf military activity.
Lt Gen Adrian Bradshaw, Isaf Deputy Commander

Did he really NEED to say that?

Acts such as this horrendous mass murder of children, the recent desecration of dead Afghan bodies by American marines urinating on them, and filming the episode, raise awful but unavoidable questions.

Everybody over there, in the USA is stricken with shock and disbelief. They are all asking questions all the time, without answers. No need for answers as religious rites takes their place as the consolation factor.

http://www.lankaweb....e-of-the-world/

Edited by metisdead
Edited per fair use/copyright policy

Yeah, so we will beat ourselves up about the horror and ask how it could happen. Kahzai already want's an explanation and a trial in Afghanistan, however twice the number died over an accidentally burned book yet no apology was demanded for the deaths yet plenty offered for the books. Death is routine with the hair trigger sensitivities in that part of the world, so why the surprise when for once one of the other side flips?

• Like 2

Yeah, so we will beat ourselves up about the horror and ask how it could happen. Kahzai already want's an explanation and a trial in Afghanistan, however twice the number died over an accidentally burned book yet no apology was demanded for the deaths yet plenty offered for the books. Death is routine with the hair trigger sensitivities in that part of the world, so why the surprise when for once one of the other side flips?

Who's surprised? Only the media and the screaming heart liberals, we all know the truth, anglo-saxons are murderers, allways have been, allways will be, just look at the history of North america, Australia, Canada, etc, wake up guys, we are THE FOREIGN DEVILS! the Chinese were right all along ;>

Who's surprised? Only the media and the screaming heart liberals, we all know the truth, anglo-saxons are murderers, allways have been, allways will be, just look at the history of North america, Australia, Canada, etc, wake up guys, we are THE FOREIGN DEVILS! the Chinese were right all along ;>

Islamic extremists have carried out 18,560 terror attacks since 9/11, at which time there were no U.S troops engaged in fighting in Muslim lands, I think I'll draw my own conclusions as to where the violence is coming from now in this post-colonial age.

• Like 1

Islamic extremists have carried out 18,560 terror attacks since 9/11, at which time there were no U.S troops engaged in fighting in Muslim lands, I think I'll draw my own conclusions as to where the violence is coming from now in this post-colonial age.

have you counted the exact number of terror raids using Apache gunships, US and NATO bombers aircraft and drones since 9/11? I also have drawn my own conclusions, and no need to start on 9/11, just go back to the decimation of the American Indians and Aborigines, the slave trade and start reading History books, mate! Wake up to reality.

A post has been edited due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

• Like 1

A post has been edited due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

Sorry, point taken.

have you counted the exact number of terror raids using Apache gunships, US and NATO bombers aircraft and drones since 9/11? I also have drawn my own conclusions, and no need to start on 9/11, just go back to the decimation of the American Indians and Aborigines, the slave trade and start reading History books, mate! Wake up to reality.

I revert, we live in a post-colonial age as demonstrated by the lack of compliance we get from the supposed puppet regimes we install. As for history if you investigate then you will learn that more slaves went east than west, though our liberal-pc press have buried this fact in the interests of self-flagellation.

Is there a link for that data Steely, I find that a little surprising, and a rather exact number. I am genuinely interested in reading more.

Re the guy that has lost it in Afghanistan. Unless you have ever been on the ground in an environment where day to day urban close quarter fighting is the norm it is impossible to empathise with the environment of someone in that situation. Afghanistan is a prolonged campaign and many soldiers have been out there for several years or more total time. Add that to seeing your friends die in your arms, carrying mates who have lost one or more limbs and being pinned down by relentless weapons fire, really believing your on your way out and you have an environment that will without any doubt seriously affect the psychological well being of anybody.

Even if the guy has not been in theatre too long, if he has been in close company of those who have experienced all the atrocities Afghanistan has to offer, then those experiences will transfer and take hold of the newbie. Attitudes are contagious...is your worth catching.

Bring him home, give him caring treatment and take care of his future. He has sacrificed his future for his country.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

I wonder what motivated him? The recent shootings of Nato troops and U.N staff due to an accidentally burned Quran might have something to do with it. P.S Not excusing the incident in any way but even people who go postal usually have some underlying motive as well as mental illness.

Edit: But I wouldn't mind betting that the fallout from this tragic incident turns out to be less than that from the burning of holy books.

But did anybody hear why the Korans were burned? It was because Afghan detainees were defacing them to pass messages among the detainees.

Why no protest of their own defacing the Korans? Hmmmmm?

• Like 2

Lost the plot or not the damage has been done. Reading some of the posts so far how can anyone condone the killing of women and children and say that he should get a medal for it, is pure ignorance and stupidity. To date 77 ISAF members have been killed by their Afgan counterparts, how many more will be killed in the coming days over revenge killings for this massacre? Hand him over to the Afgan authorities to prosecute.

A US soldier has shot dead at least 16 Afghan civilians, including nine children, after entering their homes in the middle of the night. The victims included women and elderly men...

I cannot explain the motivation behind such callous acts,
but they were in no way part of authorised Isaf military activity.
Lt Gen Adrian Bradshaw, Isaf Deputy Commander

Did he really NEED to say that?

Acts such as this horrendous mass murder of children, the recent desecration of dead Afghan bodies by American marines urinating on them, and filming the episode, raise awful but unavoidable questions.

Everybody over there, in the USA is stricken with shock and disbelief. They are all asking questions all the time, without answers. No need for answers as religious rites takes their place as the consolation factor.

http://www.lankaweb....e-of-the-world/

Maybe you could sign up for a tour of duty in Afghanistan or some similar place for that matter,I'm sure you would get your answers as to why this happens,and as to why I cheer the guy instead of condemn him.

I honestly don't know what's more shocking to me, the fact that this sad event took place or the perhaps even sadder fact that some people are actually praising this the attacker and feel more for his sake that for the family of his victims?

You must be completely detached from reality to not instantly speak out against such a act of random and extreme violence, especially considering that these are occurring more and more...

There was one poster suggesting to "bring this guy home and care of his future", is that what the US would when a foreign enemy goes on a rampage killing innocent women and children?

• Like 1

I honestly don't know what's more shocking to me, the fact that this sad event took place or the perhaps even sadder fact that some people are actually praising this the attacker and feel more for his sake that for the family of his victims?

You must be completely detached from reality to not instantly speak out against such a act of random and extreme violence, especially considering that these are occurring more and more...

There was one poster suggesting to "bring this guy home and care of his future", is that what the US would when a foreign enemy goes on a rampage killing innocent women and children?

And have you ever taken in consideration WHY these are occurring more and more?

Go and check out the 'My Lai' massacre and be truly shocked. You think this is just one individual in a random act? There are even soldiers at My Lai that would have been hung at Nuremberg, who quote on TV 'but I was a soldier, I was just following orders,and that's how I see it'. up to 500 women and children, US soldiers shooting 18 month old and 3 year old children through the head - at close quarters. I doubt you have been closer to a war zone than your TV screen provides. If you want those responsible for the killings in Afghanistan then I guess you start thinking straight and start looking Much further up the chain of command. There is a very good chance that the individual soldier concerned was also exhibiting signs that would have given any Junior subordinate commander reasons for concern before the incident took place, why was he not removed from his duty?

And just to save you any deft work with your fingers

http://video.pbs.org/video/1475790127

WARNING Be prepared to be sickened to the core as to what happens during prolonged war campaigns! What happens here is no better than anything the German soldiers got up to, same same! Those really responsible are sat far from the action in nicely furnished offices. If a Pittbull trained to fight attacks someone, we always want the owners to be arrested and charged and held responsible. Why not here? Why are those further up the line all running for cover and condeming? Learn from My Lai.

Every single war has always resulted in the most terrible atrocities being conducted against innocents, and that is one very good reason why we should always consider very very carefully whether we should be going to war or not. It is the men that decide to unleash the fury that bear ultimate responsibility.

Edited by GentlemanJim

"And is not branded a criminal......................"

Wow

Wow

The criminals are Bush, Chenney and Rumsfeld.

• Like 1

more credible sources claim there were 18,561 terror attacks by islamist terrorists.

and additionally the award of the congressional medal of honour for outstanding bravery in battle?

and additionally the award of the congressional medal of honour for outstanding bravery in battle?

Now be fair, that's not what he said is it?

• Like 1

Wow

He allegedly killed sleeping children and burned them. That is criminal, diminished responsibility or not those kids are dead.

Wow

The criminals are Bush, Chenney and Rumsfeld.

What about these criminals. How quickly we forget:

Mao Ze-Dong (China, 1958-61 and 1966-69, Tibet 1949-50) 49-78,000,000 Jozef Stalin (USSR, 1932-39) 23,000,000 (the purges plus Ukraine's famine) Adolf Hitler (Germany, 1939-1945) 12,000,000 (concentration camps and civilians WWII) Leopold II of Belgium (Congo, 1886-1908) 8,000,000

http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/dictat.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_and_anthropogenic_disasters_by_death_toll