Back Home For A Year, Two Full Time Jobs?

ObsessiveAddict

I want to make as much money as possible while I am home for the next year before going back to Thailand.

Im considering working TWO full time jobs.. so my scheduale would be something like; work 6am-2pm then off too secound job 4pm-12am

not much time for sleep, eh? I am a young fit guy. I can defintatly PHYSICLY do this. It's the mental state that may get me :P

any advise?

- Invest in a good quality juicer (brevelle) and take your favorite fruits and juce them daily, in groups of 2-4 or solo. reduce intake of animal fats, especially milk. fasting would do wonders, but most people dont have the discipline to follow through consistently. a few colon enemas will do the trick, and it is much faster.

- practice daily/weekly "The Four Agreements" by don miguel ruiz. This will help you stay on track mentally. Get the audio version if possible. All of his books are worth it actually, but you have to judge for yourself.

- spend money on the stuff you love, but cut back as much as possible on stuff you do not need. Since the goal is to save up for thailand, avoid purchasing anything that will anchor you down. live in a room, one of those weekly/monthly motels, or out of a van if possible. cash is still king....save as much as possible.

Actually a "split-shift" life where you work 1/2 the year and chill out the other half here in thailand is wonderful idea. Preferibly the high season work in home country and low season chill out here. Dont wait until you're old. Take action today.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV android app.

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 1

get your head straight and buy a house... BTW, learn to spell.

A house is the worst thing to buy imo if you are a traveler, unless you pay cash for it. The last thing you need is a mortgage hanging over your head. Saving cash for your next adventure should be your primary goal.

Get a job delivering take-away's. You'll earn decent money doing that and it will fit into your 4.00-12.00 schedule. You won't be going at it hammer and tongs all the time so you will be able to chill between deliveries.

Decent drivers in my area earn around £100 a night weekend nights. Naturally you will be informing the HMRC of every penny of your income happy.png

• Like 1

A house is the worst thing to buy imo if you are a traveler, unless you pay cash for it. The last thing you need is a mortgage hanging over your head. Saving cash for your next adventure should be your primary goal.

Investing in bricks and mortar is still the best long term strategy.

Choose the property well and it can be rented out and the rent will cover the mortgage

I first bought a house in 1972, with a cash downpayment of £2300

I sold it later and bought again, immediately

When I sold out in 2007 the price was £285,000

not a bad return on the money.

Can't say I've ever combined 2 jobs in that way. I have done 1) studying thru the clock, 2) a combination of study and work, and 3) a single job working - all on those type of hours 6/7 days a week.

Everyone's different, and needs different hours of sleep. Some of my findings for me though:

- I could skip a night's sleep if needed on a rare occasion, but need some sleep the next night

- 4 hours a day seemed to be a minimum amount for me to be able to function at a reasonable level next day. I could get by like this for a few weeks say 4-6

- 6 hours a day seemed to be a minimum to get by and function at a good level every day, and I could get by for months like this, though you know it's taking it's toll

- Depends on your type of work obviously. Mental work suffers after a while if a like of sleep, and you start getting irritable as well as inefficient.

- You need to find something to relax and unwind - by nature I don't switch off particular on mental work

More manageable if you're doing a 5 day week and catch up some at the weekend.

Rather than 2 jobs @ 8 hours each, how about 1@14-16 hours, that should allow you to fit in 6 hours sleep a day, cut down travelling time/expenses between jobs and home, and hopefully overtime paid at a rate above normal time.

• Like 1

I used to work two jobs. I'd go to my first job which was from 7am-5pm. I'd take a short nap(5 hours). Then I'd go to my second full time job which was a night job. I was dead exhausted everyday and could hardly stay awake. After about a year of this craziness I quit the other job. Tired!

Now I don't know if I could find even one job in the US now, let alone two. Bad economy there.

I live here year around so I don't have to work like that anymore. All the cash comes from my internet connection(about 5-10k baht daily).drunk.gif

- Invest in a good quality juicer (brevelle) and take your favorite fruits and juce them daily, in groups of 2-4 or solo. reduce intake of animal fats, especially milk. fasting would do wonders, but most people dont have the discipline to follow through consistently. a few colon enemas will do the trick, and it is much faster.

- practice daily/weekly "The Four Agreements" by don miguel ruiz. This will help you stay on track mentally. Get the audio version if possible. All of his books are worth it actually, but you have to judge for yourself.

- spend money on the stuff you love, but cut back as much as possible on stuff you do not need. Since the goal is to save up for thailand, avoid purchasing anything that will anchor you down. live in a room, one of those weekly/monthly motels, or out of a van if possible. cash is still king....save as much as possible.

Actually a "split-shift" life where you work 1/2 the year and chill out the other half here in thailand is wonderful idea. Preferibly the high season work in home country and low season chill out here. Dont wait until you're old. Take action today.

l0l top-notch advise. Thanks!

no way am I buying a house.. BTW I'm 19 years old.

I used to work two jobs. I'd go to my first job which was from 7am-5pm. I'd take a short nap(5 hours). Then I'd go to my second full time job which was a night job. I was dead exhausted everyday and could hardly stay awake. After about a year of this craziness I quit the other job. Tired!

Now I don't know if I could find even one job in the US now, let alone two. Bad economy there.

I live here year around so I don't have to work like that anymore. All the cash comes from my internet connection(about 5-10k baht daily).drunk.gif

5-10k baht a day huh? Care to explain? :)

Take your time Thailand will still be here when you are not?

There's an old story. Two Bulls in a field, one old one young. Young Bull say's to old, lets run and jump over that fence and service a few of those Cows. Old Bull say's, lets walk through that open gate over thare and service them all?

jb1

• Like 1

Can't say I've ever combined 2 jobs in that way. I have done 1) studying thru the clock, 2) a combination of study and work, and 3) a single job working - all on those type of hours 6/7 days a week.

Everyone's different, and needs different hours of sleep. Some of my findings for me though:

- I could skip a night's sleep if needed on a rare occasion, but need some sleep the next night

- 4 hours a day seemed to be a minimum amount for me to be able to function at a reasonable level next day. I could get by like this for a few weeks say 4-6

- 6 hours a day seemed to be a minimum to get by and function at a good level every day, and I could get by for months like this, though you know it's taking it's toll

- Depends on your type of work obviously. Mental work suffers after a while if a like of sleep, and you start getting irritable as well as inefficient.

- You need to find something to relax and unwind - by nature I don't switch off particular on mental work

Rather than 2 jobs @ 8 hours each, how about 1@14-16 hours, that should allow you to fit in 6 hours sleep a day, cut down travelling time/expenses between jobs and home, and hopefully overtime paid at a rate above normal time.

its illegal in almost every job to be doing 16 hours a day although there are loop holes

when i worked for an agency they could put me down for 2 consecutive 8 hourshifts BUT

i had to go clock out and go to the carpark,have a smoke and come back and clock in again :)

recruitment agencys are your best bet ,they will let you work every hour god sends if you can stay awake

because they get nice money from the company for every shift ;)

Here's my advice, Get 1 better paying job and you will not need to do 2 jobs

tax would make it a waste of time in most countries to work 80 hours a week now anyway

is overtime not more heavily taxed than normal time anymore ?

Here's my advice, Get 1 better paying job and you will not need to do 2 jobs

tax would make it a waste of time in most countries to work 80 hours a week now anyway

is overtime not more heavily taxed than normal time anymore ?

There's an old story. Two Bulls in a field, one old one young. Young Bull say's to old, lets run and jump over that fence and service a few of those Cows. Old Bull say's, lets walk through that open gate over thare and service them all?

jb1

Im a jump over the fence kinda guy.

its illegal in almost every job to be doing 16 hours a day although there are loop holes

when i worked for an agency they could put me down for 2 consecutive 8 hourshifts BUT

i had to go clock out and go to the carpark,have a smoke and come back and clock in again smile.png

recruitment agencys are your best bet ,they will let you work every hour god sends if you can stay awake

because they get nice money from the company for every shift wink.png

Yes, as you say though there are loopholes, such as signing a voluntary opt out, or where you're management and your time is not measured and in theory can be set by you. Plus for many of my jobs if you didn't put the hours in, there simply isn't enough time to meet your targets and deliverables, so it comes down to a choice of keeping your job and progressing or limiting yourself to the 48 hours, not progressing and eventually leaving thru not meeting expected performance targets. At the risk of sounding like the excellent sketch from Monty Python in Samran's post, I'd say 90% of my working life has been above 48 hours a week, and it's somewhat of a norm.

As the saying goes: "The man who wakes up a success has never really been asleep" so credit to OP to at least being prepared to work for his dreams, as well as the wisdom in seeking advice

:)

I would suggest 1 full-time job (8hrs per day) and a part-time job (4hrs per day). I know a few people in the UK doing exactly this now, hoping to pay their mortgage off quickly or some to finance luxuries. You don't mention where you are from but the last time I looked there was a large availability of part-time work in the UK. With 12 hours a day you sleep pattern won't be affected and you will still have a few hours to yourself each day.

no way am I buying a house.. BTW I'm 19 years old.

I remember i bought my first townhome at around 19. all the grownups kept saying "wow, what a responsible young man....i wish i was like that when i was younger...etc" but shortly after buying my house, i ended up joining military shortly afterwards, and the tenant that appeared to be so honorable didnt make a single rent payment after initial deposit. And i forgot to cancel electric, so it was still in my name and i was surprised with $300 disconnection notice.

I eventually qualified for a program where the bank took back the house and cancelled the mortgage, with no negative credit reporting, but having to make the payments was tough on e-2 salary with no dependants (no automatic housing allowance :(

Now if you were doing it as an investment, fair enough. a real estate friend of mine encouraged me to get section 8 (govt assistance for qualified tenant, rent check goes directly to you), But you must qualify, it takes time to find the right tenants and/or people to manage it. And YOU are still responsible for property and mortgage payments in the mean time. And if you have property in a "tenant-friendly" place, and your lease was over the table, you are in a world of hurt.

Consider CDL trucking, or some other appretiship program that offers near guaranteed job placement. Some states offer free training or grants for the training. Take it :D

Speaking of which, you are young enough for military. If you can tough it out for 3-4 years. The gi bill will work wonders for you when you leave.

the thing about working these crazy hours is at some point ,the tax loss will outweigh the benefits

in europe ,when you have clocked up enough hours your tax rate jumps from 20 odd % up to about 45%

so you may be doing 100% more work but only getting 55% more pay ,for me ,that would be hard to digest

because 16 hour days (more like 18 with travel ) leaves you with only work,sleep,work ,repeat ... in your life

and the second 8 hours per day is a lot tougher than the first

jb1

Im a jump over the fence kinda guy.

Run Forrest intheclub.gif

jb1

the thing about working these crazy hours is at some point ,the tax loss will outweigh the benefits

in europe ,when you have clocked up enough hours your tax rate jumps from 20 odd % up to about 45%

so you may be doing 100% more work but only getting 55% more pay ,for me ,that would be hard to digest

because 16 hour days (more like 18 with travel ) leaves you with only work,sleep,work ,repeat ... in your life

and the second 8 hours per day is a lot tougher than the first

That sucks. I never thought the tax bracket for taxpayers would jump solely based on hours worked. I thought it was based on total yearly income. Perhaps some of it should be under the table?

2 jobs is for p***ys

Get 3 jobs

7am - 3pm

3pm-11pm

11pm-7am

Then mow lawns on Saturday, and if you are a softy take a nap on Sunday after church.

dam_n science gets in the way of your theory. You die after staying awake for 3 days.

You've sussed out our resident hit man prtty quickly, haven't you? I guess he's worried you might take up in competition to him.

Have you thought about buying ladies' stockings. That could open up a number of opportunities...

SC

Sounds like the work schedule I have had for years in several countries. My only question is what will you do with all that extra free time? Serious that would be easy to work like that.