Selling My House

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm moving into my new build house soon and consider selling my current 2 bedroom townhouse in Pattaya.

In my current house I have furniture,which is about 10 years old but still in good condition,which I could use partly for the maidsroom and some for the new house. Or I could leave it all in the old house and buy everything new.

I understand that some people who buy a house will prefer that it is furnished,while it will hold back others as they will have to get rid of the furniture,but there must be a favourable trend.

What do you experts reckon is the best (read easiest) way to sell a house.

Furnished or unfurnished.

Edited by pipo1000

I have a mixed view on this which isn't in the poll. IMO whilst you are marketing an house it should be "staged" as long as the furniture is good and with no clutter. You are trying to sell a lifestyle and there is nothing worse than showing someone an empty box. You need to give the viewer an idea of what they could do with the place.

At the moment you haven't sold it, so furnished or not isn't even in the equation yet. When you do get the punter, the furniture can always be a negotiating point. Some people wouldn't be interested in other peoples furniture and that's fine cos you are taking it with you. Others can't be bothered with the hassle so would prefer to buy lock, stock and barrel and that's fine also as this can be negotiated. To me, doing it this way is keeping as many options open as possible in a difficult market.

I have a mixed view on this which isn't in the poll. IMO whilst you are marketing an house it should be "staged" as long as the furniture is good and with no clutter. You are trying to sell a lifestyle and there is nothing worse than showing someone an empty box. You need to give the viewer an idea of what they could do with the place.

At the moment you haven't sold it, so furnished or not isn't even in the equation yet. When you do get the punter, the furniture can always be a negotiating point. Some people wouldn't be interested in other peoples furniture and that's fine cos you are taking it with you. Others can't be bothered with the hassle so would prefer to buy lock, stock and barrel and that's fine also as this can be negotiated. To me, doing it this way is keeping as many options open as possible in a difficult market.

I get your point, but i will only start selling the house after I have moved into the new one,so I either move the old furniture or buy new one.

I have seen many houses in my live when i was house hunting. Without exception the furniture and decorations were not giving me any ideas how the 'lifestyle' could be. It was just the opposite, most of them were like a dump, and lots were cluttered. The few exceptions were the 'model' houses and condos.

If the house is expensive hiring someone who knows something about decorating and especially lighting then you have an increased change to sell.

Maybe it is just me that feels this way. smile.png

Older houses that were recently 'renovated' don't have any clues what might be wrong with it. I would like to see the good and the bad. Especially when the outside looks old and inside like a quick make-up job. If it is not done professionally, better leave it as is.

Edited by Khun Jean

I have seen many houses in my live when i was house hunting. Without exception the furniture and decorations were not giving me any ideas how the 'lifestyle' could be. It was just the opposite, most of them were like a dump, and lots were cluttered. The few exceptions were the 'model' houses and condos.

That's exactly what I was saying.

The worst thing is if there is people in the furniture. Was looking at one condo and there was a really old woman laying on a wooden bench in the middle of the room. Wasn't sure if I was viewing a condo or visiting a wake...didn't stay long.

The worst thing is if there is people in the furniture. Was looking at one condo and there was a really old woman laying on a wooden bench in the middle of the room. Wasn't sure if I was viewing a condo or visiting a wake...didn't stay long.

When I said it should be "staged" I didn't mean a play with people in it biggrin.png

The op has said that he is not selling the property until they have moved into their new house, so there shouldn't be any stray people hanging around cluttering up the place.

To the op. I just did a quick Google on selling houses. Here is one view but there are also many, many more that think this is the best way

"In most home selling situations, a home shows better with furniture. Staring at a ceiling, floor and four empty walls make it hard for buyers to visualize their own belongings in the home. If buyers can't picture themselves living there, they are not likely to buy it. Home staging can mean the difference between a sold or expired listing. Staging often brings a higher price for the home; some stagers estimate sellers make seven to 10% more when a home is staged. It doesn't really cost to stage, it pays." Source http://homebuying.about.com/od/sellingahouse/f/031808_StageLR.htm

You have to be clear on what "staging" is. It doesn't include old and ragged furniture, it doesn't include clutter and it certainly doesn't include people lying around on furniture.

I've sold many houses and I always stage them, it does work. However, this sometimes means that I live with very little furniture in my new home until the other house has sold. A small sacrifice to pay IMO for getting a good price and a quicker sale.

It sounds as if the furniture has no real value so if the price is the same furnished or unfurnished I would tell you to leave the furniture so a new buyer who has none starts with the basics and can then furnish it to his/her tastes as time permits. I used to be a Realtor and hated showing a empty home but also hated to show one that was cluttered and too lived in. You sound like furnishing you new place is not a financial problem and better to match furniture to new home than to try to find place for pieces from old home to make them fit new one.