Rescued Women In Thailand

webfact

Rescued women in Thailand

HOLLAND: -- A member of our Winning At Home team recently traveled to Thailand on a mission trip. She went with a local organization known as Women at Risk, International whose mission is to provide circles of protection around women and children who are at risk simply because of their gender. This could involve sex trafficking, honor killings, incest or rape to name a few.

The purpose of this particular trip was to visit safe houses in Bangkok where women rescued from the sex industry are discovering a new way of life.

She shared with me how she learned that the Thai culture plays a significant role in the sex trade. It has to do with family responsibility which of course strikes a chord in me. In Thailand, the daughters in the family are expected to financially care for their parents. This is countercultural to us in America where parents will take steps to prepare for their own financial needs and retirement. In Thailand, women are expected to fill that role. This happens primarily in the villages where poverty reigns.

Uneducated and without any viable skills, these girls are strongly encouraged at a very young age, sometimes pre-teen years, to enter into the sex trade as a way to make a decent living and fulfill their obligations. They are usually pushed into it or sold into it by their parents.  While most boys go to school, if there are no daughters born in a family, a son is chosen and forced to become a transvestite and then pushed into or sold to a brothel.

-- hollandsentinel.com 2012-03-31

footer_n.gif

The stuff comes from the First Baptist Church of Middleville in Michigan. Kind of surprised they would be advertising on Thai Visa. The story is obviously (IMO) spam as no dates, names or anything else that could qualify it as a news story are mentioned in the OP.

• Like 1

Contrary to this 'news release', I find the vast majority of Thais that stay on at school then move on to higher education are female. I have never heard of any families that having no daughters, force one of their boys to become a 'ladyboy'

This is one weird story!

I liked this bit of the full story.

"In America we encourage young girls to save their virginity for a future spouse"

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Contrary to this 'news release', I find the vast majority of Thais that stay on at school then move on to higher education are female.

I have never heard of any families that having no daughters, force one of their boys to become a 'ladyboy'

This is one weird story!

I have seen it with my own eyes. Not all "Lady boys", choose that life.

Edited by FOODLOVER

Holland Michigan is actually a nice little town. It is a bit refreshing that Thai Visa would choose to carry stories from their local church newspaper. Give one kind of a warm fuzzy feeling. Hallelujah, and pass the plate.

I like this quote the best.

In America we encourage young girls to save their virginity for a future spouse, while in Thailand they’re encouraged to save it for the highest bidder! Whole villages celebrate the selling of one’s purity

;)

In America we encourage young girls to save their virginity for a future spouse, while in Thailand they’re encouraged to save it for the highest bidder! Whole villages celebrate the selling of one’s purity

wink.png

I wonder what they do when a lady boy loses his virginity? Fireworks? If the whole village celebrates selling of one's purity what is the name of the celebration? I know I'd go. I wonder if they have bus tours?

Incredibly worthless article that makes some pretty crazy statements - like a village celebrating the loss of a girl's virginity to the bar scene! In my wife's village there are plenty of girls who chose that route and its far from celebrated. They are talked about behind their back and the family is stigmitized by other villagers - far from a celebration. The ladyboy story is just simply stupid. Never heard of a single incident of such a thing. This is what happens when you let ignorant religious morons display their stupidity in the form of a news story when its nothing but more holy roller propaganda and BS! I expect more from ThaiVisa - not much more mind you, but more!

• Like 2

Incredibly worthless article that makes some pretty crazy statements - like a village celebrating the loss of a girl's virginity to the bar scene! In my wife's village there are plenty of girls who chose that route and its far from celebrated. They are talked about behind their back and the family is stigmitized by other villagers - far from a celebration. The ladyboy story is just simply stupid. Never heard of a single incident of such a thing. This is what happens when you let ignorant religious morons display their stupidity in the form of a news story when its nothing but more holy roller propaganda and BS! I expect more from ThaiVisa - not much more mind you, but more!

Don't worry only 30 days till we get to make fun of old people again.

wink.png

I wonder what they do when a lady boy loses his virginity? Fireworks? If the whole village celebrates selling of one's purity what is the name of the celebration? I know I'd go. I wonder if they have bus tours?

it is just one continuous party in some of these villages.

Edited by BookMan

I think you are being too flippant. This is serious stuff here after all appearing in the Thai Visa gets one a Google rank automatically as a news story. So it must be a news story. I mean there are 80 people reading this story now!

I think you are being too flippant. This is serious stuff here after all appearing in the Thai Visa gets one a Google rank automatically as a news story. So it must be a news story. I mean there are 80 people reading this story now!

Really, it is difficult to take the article seriously.

This is bullshits, how some papers can publish unfounded craps like that !!!mad.gif

I think it is a church paper isn't it?

It does not seem to openly state this on the website.

Edited by harrry

This is bullshits, how some papers can publish unfounded craps like that !!!mad.gif

I think it is a church paper isn't it?

It does not seem to openly state this on the website.

The story is in the Religion section of the newspaper. Maybe Thai Visa should move it to the religion section of forum. Does Thai Visa have a religion section?