Thaksin's Niece Guilty Of Filing False Asset Statement, Gets 5-Year Ban

webfact

Thaksin's niece guilty of filing false asset statement, gets 5-year ban

The Nation

BANGKOK:-- The Supreme Court Friday removed a daughter of former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat as an MP and placed her under five-year political ban for making a false asset declaration.

The Criminal Division for Holders of Political Office found Chinnicha Wongsawat guilty of failing to declare her debt worth Bt100 million upon assuming position as a Pheu Thai MP.

The court initially sentenced Chinnicha to two months in jail but suspended the jail term for a year on the grounds that she has never been in prison. She was also fined Bt4,000.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission filed the suit against Chinnicha , alleging that she had falsified her asset statement to the NACC when she took office as an MP.

The NACC learned of Chinnicha's Bt100 million debt to Bannapot Damapong only after Chinnicha informed the Supreme Court that she owned only part of Bt46 billion worth of assets that the NACC asked the court to seize from former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

After Chinnicha lodged a protest against the seizing of Bt100 million, then senator Ruangkrai Likijwatana filed a complaint against her with the NACC.

Chinnichai then filed another report with the NACC stating she owed Bt100 million to Bannaphot on October 31 2008, about eight months after she became a Chiang Mai MP.

In Chinnicha's argument to the Supreme Court, she said she thought she did not have declare the debt because the assets had been ordered seized by the Assets Examination Committee.

But the court ruled that Chinnicha intended to conceal her debt and chose to punish her by impeachment and banning her for politics for five years.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-20

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin niece disqualified, banned from politics for filing false statement

image_20120420155831CEF95F07-C0C4-A0C6-3B52977921D50DAC.jpg

BANGKOK, April 20 - Thailand's Supreme Court Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions on Friday disqualified Chinnicha Wongsawat as a member of parliament and banned her from politics for five years for filing a false assets statement.

The court handed down a two-month imprisonment but suspended the jail term for one year. She was fined Bt4,000.

Ms Chinnicha, 31, a Puea Thai MP for Chiang Mai, is a daughter of former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat and Mrs Yaowapa, a younger sister of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) petitioned the court charging that Ms Chinnicha intentionally filed a false asset statement and concealed her Bt100 million debt when taking a position as a Chiang Mai MP.

She later filed a document stating that she had borrowed Bt100 million from Mr Thaksin’s former brother-in-law Bannapot Damapong on Oct 31, 2008, eight months after taking the post and also after Sen Rueangkrai Luekitwattana petitioned the NACC to scrutinise Ms Chinnicha’s assets and liability statement.

Ms Chinnicha defended her decision, saying that she had filed her assets statement in a misunderstanding that the debt frozen by the Assets Examination Committee pending its examination should be left as it was until the committee unfroze it.

However, the court refused to accept Ms Chinnicha's statement, saying evidence and related documents stated clearly that the Chiang Mai MP had intentionally filed a false assets statement which violated the country's constitution.

Therefore, the court issued a suspended two-month jail term and stripped her of her MP status as well as slapping a five-year ban which barred her from holding any political position. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-04-20

In Chinnicha's argument to the Supreme Court, she said she thought she did not have declare the debt because the assets had been ordered seized by the Assets Examination Committee.

Honest mistakes run in the family.

How many of the family have been banned now?

• Like 2

And amazing how big that family seems to be. I heard from at least 10-20 of them in key positions, police chief, Army leaders, MPs, two PMs.

Ability to be politician must be in the genes.

• Like 1

Would it have all been equal if she had stated the debt as pending "further investigation and political developments".

I borrow money from someone who is subsequently found guilty of having obtained the money in a dodgy manner, and have money seized from me, but legally I still owe the money back to him?

Now if I had colluded to hide his assets surely that is just blatant fraud isn't it?

Edited by Thai at Heart

The court initially sentenced Chinnicha to two months in jail but suspended the jail term for a year on the grounds that she has never been in prison.

I especially like this comment. Does it mean suspended because she doesnt have a criminal record of just because she hasnt been before, its only fair that she doesnt go at all. LOL bless her.

• Like 2

The family that cons together stays together.

Conceals 100 MILLION Baht, gets 4,000 baht fine.

Which means she can only go back to the pastry cart 4 times

after dinner at the Ritz for one evening.

It seems the family morals streak is staying consistent,

Mom, Pop and Baby chinchilla all banned for corruption.

Such a lovable family act.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 2

Apparently so does lying in public.

• Like 1

Ex-Thai PM Thaksin's niece banned from politics

Bangkok, April 20, 2012 (AFP) - Thailand's top court has banned the lawmaker niece of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra from politics for five years for a false financial declaration, a court official said Friday.

The Supreme Court handed Chinnicha Wongsawat, a member of parliament for the ruling Puea Thai party, a two-month suspended prison term and a fine of 4,000 baht ($130) in its ruling Thursday. The party said it would appeal the verdict.

Chinnicha, the daughter of former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, was accused of failing to disclose a debt of 100 million baht ($3.2 million) when she became a lawmaker last year.

Thaksin was toppled by royalist generals in 2006 and lives in Dubai to avoid a two-year prison sentence for corruption that he contends is politically motivated.

His sister Yingluck Shinawatra became prime minister last year after a resounding election victory by the ousted premier's political allies.

Mass rallies by Thaksin's supporters in the Thai capital in 2010 descended into the kingdom's worst political violence in decades, with more than 90 people -- mostly civilians -- killed in a military crackdown.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-04-20

"The court initially sentenced Chinnicha to two months in jail but suspended the jail term for a year on the grounds that she has never been in prison. She was also fined Bt4,000"

By the same logic, I can commit at least one crime and just get a slap on the wrist and a meaningless fine. Right, I'm off to rob a bank, who's with me?!?!

Sure why not, i am with you. We can pay the 4000THB fine off from the amount of money we fail to declare we have from the robbery.

• Like 1

"The court initially sentenced Chinnicha to two months in jail but suspended the jail term for a year on the grounds that she has never been in prison. She was also fined Bt4,000"

By the same logic, I can commit at least one crime and just get a slap on the wrist and a meaningless fine. Right, I'm off to rob a bank, who's with me?!?!

Sure why not, i am with you. We can pay the 4000THB fine off from the amount of money we fail to declare we have from the robbery.

lets go!

So you want to

fail... to declare ... a debt worth Bt100 million upon assuming position as a Pheu Thai MP.

or

rob a bank

Not the same at all.....

Edited by KKK

Please people take some time to read the article.......

She failed to declare a DEBT not an ASSET...

I'm hoping you all understand the difference....

Nevertheless it was a lie something that the Taksin's seem to becomming famous for.....

You'd think they would have learned by now. Nothing but contempt for the rule of law.

"learn" and "rule of Law" mmmmmm

The *descriptive* answer in British English is:

"learned" is used in phrases such as "a learned professor", in which case it is pronounced with two syllables.

Either "learnt" or "learned" are used interchangably in phrases like "I learnt a valuable lesson today".

The *descriptive* answer in American English is:

There is no such word as "learnt". Use "learned" always.