No Degree- Salary

Cornflakes, what about all those of us who came to Thailand in recent years, eyes wide open and fairly well informed, with actual degrees and real one-year visas, and never made more than 25K doing a great job? And never had a work permit, teacher's license, or could renew our great visa without a 75,000 baht visa run? There's not even a half-guarantee that you could come here with two real degrees, CELTA-DELTA-SCHMELTA, and make 30,000/month in Bangkok.

My advice, kindly, is that you not come. Unless, of course, the girlfriend is more important than money, peace of mind, etc. Now, to restrain myself from mentioning which of your heads you'd be thinking with, in that case.... :o

Edited by PeaceBlondie

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who have degress have all my respect and i'm not/wasn't saying having a degree is useless.

All those people that put hard graft into their teaching and really like to teach and that are good teachers GREAT, woopy doo. good for you. :D

I wasn't saying anything about that, I was just researching and trying to find info on wether or not I could come to Thailand- no degree, and earn more than 30,000 baht, now I know the answer is probably no. That's fine with me. I'm not saying I deseve anything more or less than that. just wanted info on if it was possible in any way.

Most the people here have put me well of teaching anyway, for starts most of them lookk down their noses at people trying to come to Thailand and teach, just for the fact that they don't have degrees. In my eyes that's f#cking stupid to think in this way. Congratulations on having yuor degree you've earnt it, have a pat on the back. But I think the only reason most of the guys/girls get pissed off with this is becasue they see people that havn't got degrees coming to LOS and finding work just as easy and getting the same money but without having put hardwork into gaining a degree. Suppose I would be pissed a little aswell.

Who needs a degree to teach Thais English anyway, fair enough, I do think if yuor going to teach in a university or to people with a higher education than most, then it should be vital that you have a degree, but as for teaching between 3-14 year olds, I think that you don't need it in any way. There jsut trying to pick up the basics of the language.

I'm not knocking teachers they work hard and should get better rewards for what they do,but they don't. If you don't like earning 30,000 baht and you don't like greasy,sweaty backpackers and young guns earning the same as you, ###### off somewhere else,Japan, China or anywhere else becasue coming here and saying how much you don't like people working with no degree/work permit/teaching liscence won't change anything now will it. :o

When I was in school we used to get French lessons by some Frenchgirl that was about 18, theres no way she had a degree, it's jus tthe same as English speaking people coming to Thailand and teaching English. Deal with it instead of whining like bitches.

Ohhh you don't have a work permit, he shouldn't be here. blah blah blah

People CAN do it and WILL do it, i'm not going to one of them but I could if I wanted to.

Cheers guys :D

You've outlined one of the real problems with teaching English in Thailand.

Many Thais (government and private schools) don't give a shit and will pay a drunk, stupid, unqualified white backpacker the same as an experienced and qualified teacher.

Drives out the good ones and doesn't attract good quality replacements.

This is followed by government bemoaning the quality of teaching.

Other countries in Asia have figured it out.

Viet Nam, for example, a MUCH poorer country than LoS pays the same or better.

You're absolutely right Cornflakes. I started at my school with 9 months experience (degree and Celta required) on the same salary as a guy who had nearly 10 years! Until the wages are reflected in rewarding proper qualifications and experience then no-one has the right to look down their nose at anyone else. The truth is, which has been said countless times, is that Thailand is all about appearance and little to do with substance. As long as there's a white face at the top of the classroom the rest, like what is being taught and how well, is secondary. Thailand, its culture and the system they choose to run here, is the cause of this. Good luck to anybody who comes over here who doesn't have a degree, just as long as you're white the Thais won't care anyway for the most part.

I wasn't saying anything about that, I was just researching and trying to find info on wether or not I could come to Thailand- no degree, and earn more than 30,000 baht, now I know the answer is probably no.

Mate if you work in Bangkok you'll easily earn over 30K, easily.

KK- "Mate if you work in Bangkok you'll easily earn over 30K, easily".

Finally an honest answer from someone who isn't trying to kick me while i'm down.

Sure are some snotty stuck up f#cks in here so it's nice to get some genuine advice, like I said though most of the people in here have put me well of teaching now anyway, theres no way I could take working in Thailand with all thse guys with degrees "looking down their noses" at me the whole time, not exactly a confidence booster is it with people like that breathing down your neck.

Plus, even 50,000 baht is peanuts, not in Bkk I know and not compared to some people who work there for less but compared to what you can get in the west. But if I go to Thailand and teach on that amount I hate to think what my future will be, it's not even worth it.

I'm just going to stick around UK and make little trips here and there to LOS and get a decent qualification in something else that will pay better in this country so i can set my self up later in Thailand, maybe much later but it will be worth it rather than making frequent trips there and back and always ending up back in the UK with nothing left.

I'm glad most of the guys here are <deleted> and gave me a grilling or whatever as it stopped me jumping in at the deepend and made me realsie, sure I would love to live and teach in Thailand, but only for the fact that I could "live" and get an income at the same time, where as before I thought it would be impossible, but now I know I do have the choice to go and live there I don't want to do it for that kind of money.

I'd much rather stay here get my self set up in UK where the good old English pound strecthes a lot lot further in LOS and have more chance of staying there in a few years time without having to worry where my next baht is coming from.

So thansk to all the stuck up <deleted> in here and thanks to all the decent guys that gave good advice, both equally valuable. :D

And again to the guys that constantly moan about people working with no degree and no wp, THAILAND DOESN'T CARE, so why moan about it on an internet forum? Thailand will always have backpackers and peoploe like them who will teach for 30,000 baht p/m. If you really don't like that then you know what to do, ###### off to another Asian Country, theres plenty of jobs around there you can show off your degrees and get paid the money that your "worth". :o

I'm not having a go at the guys/gals that do have degrees and that DON'T moan about it though, they seem pretty fair minded and just get on with it as they know they can't change it.

Thanks again to the ones that gave me genuine advice and thanks to the stuck up f#cks too, you made me realsie I don't wanna be stuck in a job with people like you. See you all in Thailand one way or another :D

You've outlined one of the real problems with teaching English in Thailand.

Many Thais (government and private schools) don't give a shit and will pay a drunk, stupid, unqualified white backpacker the same as an experienced and qualified teacher.

Drives out the good ones and doesn't attract good quality replacements.

This is followed by government bemoaning the quality of teaching.

Other countries in Asia have figured it out.

Viet Nam, for example, a MUCH poorer country than LoS pays the same or better.

Hear, hear! Well said. And this of course, is also one of the reasons why Thais are virtually at the bottom of the regional league tables when it comes to international examinations.

"Thais do it on the cheap." Should be a bumper sticker.

Edited by Rumpole

What is your goal, if you already have a gf , for 30.000 bath you can actually live quite well here, unless you have to stay in sukumvit road and frequent bars/discoes every night....

If you suplement the income with private tutiotion at lets say 1000 bath a pop , you will have quite a bit more to spend too...

And as time goes by, countless oppurtunites for more lucrative pay will be available for you........

So whats the score?

Most the people here have put me well of teaching anyway, for starts most of them lookk down their noses at people trying to come to Thailand and teach, just for the fact that they don't have degrees. In my eyes that's f#cking stupid to think in this way.

Its even more stupid to think you can teach others when you weren't taught yourself. Take a good look at you grammar and spelling, ITS HORRID.

When I was in school we used to get French lessons by some Frenchgirl that was about 18, theres no way she had a degree, it's jus tthe same as English speaking people coming to Thailand and teaching English. Deal with it instead of whining like bitches.

Sounds to me like you're the Whiner. You asked people for advice but can't take the advice / criticism given?. Why bother posting if you don't want to know the truth?

People CAN do it and WILL do it, i'm not going to one of them but I could if I wanted to.

In Thailand and with this ATTITUDE?, I seriously doubt it. Stay in the UK, Its better for the Thai people

Most the people here have put me well of teaching anyway, for starts most of them lookk down their noses at people trying to come to Thailand and teach, just for the fact that they don't have degrees. In my eyes that's f#cking stupid to think in this way.

Its even more stupid to think you can teach others when you weren't taught yourself. Take a good look at you grammar and spelling, ITS HORRID.

Sounds to me like you're the Whiner. You asked people for advice but can't take the advice / criticism given?. Why bother posting if you don't want to know the truth?

In Thailand and with this ATTITUDE?, I seriously doubt it. Stay in the UK, Its better for the Thai people

I dunno if Cornflakes is still around, but whatever..........

The guy was looking for advice as to what IS in Thailand not what folk think SHOULD be or wish for. Sure, an ideal English Teacher would be someone fully trained and experienced (with or without bits of paper coming out of their ears) but, you know what?, in Thailand this is not a requirement at present. It may be a bad thing, but it's how it IS.

Offer piss poor salaries TO FARANG then teaching English will only be attractive to those passing through for a couple of years, are using it as a stepping stone, or who have already made a few quid back in Farangland so are NOT looking to finance their old age from B30k (or even B90k) a month.

FWIW the Thais should accept that non Farang CAN do as good a job if not better than a Farang (with or without a degree) and are of course much cheaper - whether it be "Native" speakers or even Thais. But this is probably a seperate thread about short sighted stupidity in the "LOSSS" :D

The guy could have got himself a job in Thailand (and already realised this), but he was clearly smart enough to also be thinking about his future prospects and that B30K is NOT a future, it's a working holiday / something to do to keep the brain cells alive / pay the rent whilst trying to do a bit of good / a paid hobby.

I think I suggested that at 22 he should get a skill / profession / trade / knowledge that can be used to make money in Farangland to at least fall back on - I managed to make this suggestion as constructively as possible without being rude / insulting or having my head stuck up my rear end - and whether he takes my advice is neither here nor there for me, I was just happy to help / give him a bit of encoragement. I may not have worked in Thailand or been an English Teacher, but I have been around the block a bit, including in Thailand - so can at least talk things through with someone constructively rather than seeing folk as a challenge.

I am guessing that a lot of posters here are English Teachers and probably on the young side who think that what they are doing is somehow "important" or in the great scheme of things..............actually matters. It isn't and it doesn't.

I take my hat off to OP really, at 22 I had never been outside Europe and was just partying a lot of the time whilst making a few quid - I certainly had never even thought to run a business, let alone do so half way around the world. It might have failed, but the fact that he walked away from it financially and having learnt a lot is in my book not in itself a "failure". The fact the guy tried tells me that he has at least a little bit of "gumption".

Its better for the Thai people

You'd need a heart of stone............not to laugh at a comment like that :D:D:D:D:D

I am not going to criticise YOUR spelling or grammar - it's the Internet :o

What is your goal, if you already have a gf , for 30.000 bath you can actually live quite well here, unless you have to stay in sukumvit road and frequent bars/discoes every night....

If you suplement the income with private tutiotion at lets say 1000 bath a pop , you will have quite a bit more to spend too...

And as time goes by, countless oppurtunites for more lucrative pay will be available for you........

So whats the score?

it'd be around 5/10 for spelling :o

Most the people here have put me well of teaching anyway, for starts most of them lookk down their noses at people trying to come to Thailand and teach, just for the fact that they don't have degrees. In my eyes that's f#cking stupid to think in this way. ....... But I think the only reason most of the guys/girls get pissed off with this is becasue they see people that havn't got degrees coming to LOS and finding work just as easy and getting the same money but without having put hardwork into gaining a degree. Suppose I would be pissed a little aswell.

Now you see, if you had got a degree you would have worked that out far earlier.

Dont know why I bothered replying because snif sniff I smell something beginning with a T

Cornflakes,

Just my two baht worth,

Ignore it if you want to.

Just a couple of thoughts, starting out at 30,000 don’t mean you would be working for 30,000 forever. It is also much easier finding a non-teaching job in BKK or Thailand if you are already living here, but it is also easy once started in English teaching to get sucked in, since the job allows you to live in Thailand, make enough to get by, is relatively stress free, but doesn’t provide any marketable skills, and pretty soon you find 10 years have gone by and you are now unemployable in anything but English teaching (this is the stage most of the bitter ones posting negative comments are at). You could give it a shot, give yourself two years, if things don’t work out you can always go back home to be a chef again, can’t you?

Teaching English, unless you are teaching advanced test preparation and academic writing, doesn’t require many technical skills beyond having a good command of your native language but it does require a bit of personality, effort, and showmanship (the teacher has to keep the attention of the students for extended periods of time). My guess is that 90% of the English teachers in Thailand are not here primarily to teach English but to be in Thailand, so don’t pay too much attention to those responding in a pretentious manner, chances are their life dreams weren’t to become English teachers either. English teaching in Thailand can be a stepping stone to something else (but this requires one to be proactive in moving to the something else), it can be a great way to spend a couple of years of your youth before starting your life’s work back home, or it can be a life-long job (I won’t call teaching 5 years olds how to say cat is a profession, but there are a few “professional positions in the teaching community).

If you decide to come and teach, give yourself a little time, it you decide it is the life for you, get yourself a degree, Open Uni in the UK or something like that, or move on after a couple of years. You don’t want to try to make a career teaching English without a degree, a year of two, maybe, but not any longer than that.

Cheers

The guy was looking for advice as to what IS in Thailand not what folk think SHOULD be or wish for. Sure, an ideal English Teacher would be someone fully trained and experienced (with or without bits of paper coming out of their ears) but, you know what?, in Thailand this is not a requirement at present. It may be a bad thing, but it's how it IS.

Offer piss poor salaries TO FARANG then teaching English will only be attractive to those passing through for a couple of years, are using it as a stepping stone, or who have already made a few quid back in Farangland so are NOT looking to finance their old age from B30k (or even B90k) a month.

FWIW the Thais should accept that non Farang CAN do as good a job if not better than a Farang (with or without a degree) and are of course much cheaper - whether it be "Native" speakers or even Thais. But this is probably a seperate thread about short sighted stupidity in the "LOSSS" :D

The guy could have got himself a job in Thailand (and already realised this), but he was clearly smart enough to also be thinking about his future prospects and that B30K is NOT a future, it's a working holiday / something to do to keep the brain cells alive / pay the rent whilst trying to do a bit of good / a paid hobby.

I think I suggested that at 22 he should get a skill / profession / trade / knowledge that can be used to make money in Farangland to at least fall back on - I managed to make this suggestion as constructively as possible without being rude / insulting or having my head stuck up my rear end - and whether he takes my advice is neither here nor there for me, I was just happy to help / give him a bit of encoragement. I may not have worked in Thailand or been an English Teacher, but I have been around the block a bit, including in Thailand - so can at least talk things through with someone constructively rather than seeing folk as a challenge.

You'd need a heart of stone............not to laugh at a comment like that :D:D:D:D:D

I am not going to criticise YOUR spelling or grammar - it's the Internet :D

More spelling errors, but lets not count them :o

Ozone,

I can't believe that I am replying to this :D :D , but anyway..........although I do not normally use spell check for posts on the internet (It's the internet :D ), I make your corrections 1/3. I concede "encoragement" (and add also "seperate" :D ).

You might want an English English spell checker :D

The grammar? - I will concede a lot :D

More spelling errors, but lets not count them

Ozone,

I can't believe that I am replying to this , but anyway..........although I do not normally use spell check for posts on the internet (It's the internet ), I make your corrections 1/3. I concede "encoragement" (and add also "seperate" ).

You might want an English English spell checker

The grammar? - I will concede a lot

He's doing his best :o

:D Not to worry. My gramma's not good either (so said grandpa) :D

Since all this was instigated by The Doc himself, lets just blame him for the biggering :D:D:D

You'd need a heart of stone............not to laugh at a comment like that :D:D:D:D:burp:

Both realised and criticise are correctly spelled (spelt?) mate (albeit English spelling). So if you're going to correct people maybe ch ch ch check yourself first :D

###### and I might want to ch ch ch check to make sure someone hasn't already posted what I just did :D

Occasionally a troll will post in this forum with deliberately poor spelling and grammar simply because it's such a good flamebait (for an example, see the thread in this room regarding poor editing in the "English World" magazine) and because there are certain posters who can be depended on to feed them.

I rarely try to comment on other posters' spelling and grammar unless I'm pretty sure they are NOT trolls, or they appear to be asking for an honest evaluation of their chances as teachers. If their writing is pretty bad, I usually try to discourage them. Actually, I would tend to discourage anyone who CAN be discouraged from trying to become a teacher in Thailand, but that's another story.

Commenting on spelling/grammar in a debate rarely convinces anyone of anything and seems more time-wasting and rudeness than anything else, *except* in the rare cases where someone who is not simply trolling really needs to be taken down a few pegs with regard to their imagined vs. real proficiency in the language (a certain subcontinental gentleman comes to mind here, or certain members who have a "thing" about teachers and demonstrate clearly in many of their posts that they have not spent much time with them). For those of us who are teachers here, it only makes professional sense to try to sound as articulate and competent as possible; those who don't will just make themselves look bad.

"Steven"

Occasionally a troll will post in this forum with deliberately poor spelling and grammar simply because it's such a good flamebait (for an example, see the thread in this room regarding poor editing in the "English World" magazine) and because there are certain posters who can be depended on to feed them.

I rarely try to comment on other posters' spelling and grammar unless I'm pretty sure they are NOT trolls, or they appear to be asking for an honest evaluation of their chances as teachers. If their writing is pretty bad, I usually try to discourage them. Actually, I would tend to discourage anyone who CAN be discouraged from trying to become a teacher in Thailand, but that's another story.

Commenting on spelling/grammar in a debate rarely convinces anyone of anything and seems more time-wasting and rudeness than anything else, *except* in the rare cases where someone who is not simply trolling really needs to be taken down a few pegs with regard to their imagined vs. real proficiency in the language (a certain subcontinental gentleman comes to mind here, or certain members who have a "thing" about teachers and demonstrate clearly in many of their posts that they have not spent much time with them). For those of us who are teachers here, it only makes professional sense to try to sound as articulate and competent as possible; those who don't will just make themselves look bad.

"Steven"

Great points :o

"Steven" Great! :D

Great points :o

FWIW the Thais should accept that non Farang CAN do as good a job if not better than a Farang (with or without a degree) and are of course much cheaper - whether it be "Native" speakers or even Thais. But this is probably a seperate thread about short sighted stupidity in the "LOSSS"

You'd need a heart of stone............not to laugh at a comment like that

Both realised and criticise are correctly spelled (spelt?) mate (albeit English spelling). So if you're going to correct people maybe ch ch ch check yourself first :D

###### and I might want to ch ch ch check to make sure someone hasn't already posted what I just did :D

I guess I'll have to correct yours also :D, but I will not correct the other word :D

FWIW, this was originally meant as a joke to "the Doc and Jersey UK". I apologize if you'are offended

Main Entry: re·al·ize

Pronunciation: 'rE-&-"lIz, 'ri-&-

Function: transitive verb

Inflected Form(s): -ized; -iz·ing

Etymology: French réaliser, from Middle French realiser, from real real

1 a : to bring into concrete existence : ACCOMPLISH <finally realized her goal> b : to cause to seem real : make appear real <a book in which the characters are carefully realized>

2 a : to convert into actual money <realized assets> b : to bring or get by sale, investment, or effort : GAIN

3 : to conceive vividly as real : be fully aware of <did not realize the risk she was taking>

synonym see THINK

- re·al·iz·able /"rE-&-'lI-z&-b&l, "ri-/ adjective

- re·al·iz·er no

^ American spelling mate (checked before I posted yesterday):

http://www.freesearch.co.uk/dictionary/realize

realize, UK USUALLY realise

verb {I or T}

to understand a situation, sometimes suddenly:

- They didn't realize the danger they were in.

- {+ (that)} "Do you realize (that) this is the third time you've forgotten?" she said angrily.

- {+ question word} I realize how difficult it's going to be, but we must try.

- As he watched the TV drama, he suddenly realized (that) he'd seen it before.

- "You're standing on my foot." "Sorry, I didn't realize."

See also realize at real (NOT IMAGINARY).

realization, UK USUALLY realisation

noun {C usually singular}

- {+ that} The realization was dawning (= They were starting to realize) that this was a major disaster.

And:

criticize, UK USUALLY criticise

verb

1 {I; T often passive} to express disapproval of someone or something:

- The government is being widely criticized in the press for failing to limit air pollution.

- We'll get nowhere if all you can do is criticize.

2 {T} to give an opinion or judgement about a book, film, etc:

- We're a group of artists who meet to discuss things and criticize

FYI Brits tend not to use a z in words like this, rather an s mate :o

After reading this thread I have decided I need to make some friends with serious English Teachers. I can think of not better way to liven up a party or have s stimulating conversation than to debate and analysis the spelling and grammar usage of others. What an exciting pastime!

Edit

Yean I see that I hit the "s" key when I meant to hit the "a" key, but I will leave it there so as to give some ammunition for those who want to attack someone for typos or other errors.

Edited by Ladphrao

After reading this thread I have decided I need to make some friends with serious English Teachers. I can think of not better way to liven up a party or have s stimulating conversation than to debate and analysis the spelling and grammar usage of others. What an exciting pastime!

Edit

Yean I see that I hit the "s" key when I meant to hit the "a" key, but I will leave it there so as to give some ammunition for those who want to attack someone for typos or other errors.

IF one really knows what one is doing, it comes naturally. No 24/7 on red alert. If one knows what one is on about.