Recalls

karlos

Just having read about a tyre recall on the 2012 Honda PCX150 and knowing that the 2012 Ninja650 also had a recall for it's footpeg circlips, i think it's time that a sticky was made to warn riders of faulty components on their bikes.

Not all dealers’ call their customers, customers sometimes change mobile numbers and for whatever reasons a dealer might not notify an owner of recalls i hope this thread helps and assists all riders with a long and happy life on two wheels.

This thread is for bikes of any size (we all suffer the same should we fall at 60kmh+) and with more Big Bikes planed for Thailand in the near future i think the use of this forum is a great way to highlight potential dangers.

If this idea isn't sticky/pin worthy then please delete it.

Karl :)

030712-2012-kawasaki-ninja-650-500x375.jpg

Kawasaki is issuing a recall for certain 2012 Ninja 250R and Ninja 650 sportbikes as well as the Versys 650 due to a risk of the passenger footpegs falling off.

According to documents released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the circlips on the footpegs’ mounting pins may break under engine vibrations, potentially leading the footpegs to detach. This poses a potential danger to the passenger. A fallen footpeg may also become a distraction to the rider and create problems for other vehicles.

Kawasaki attributes the problem to improper preparation during the acid washing process before the plating process to a certain batch of circlips.

The affected circlips may be brittle and may even crack during installation. The problem was first identified by Kawasaki Malaysia which found circlips breaking during assembly of a domestic model in December. In the ensuing months, Kawasaki conducted an investigation and concluded there was a potential defect on circlips used on passenger pegs for other, international models.

030712-2012-kawasaki-versys-650-passenger-footpeg-500x310.jpg

Kawasaki dealers will replace passenger footpeg circlips on the affected units. The recall campaign affects 793 units manufactured between Sept. 13, 2011 and Oct. 25, 2011.

[source: NHTSA Campaign ID# 12V081000]

• 8 months later...

2012 – 2013 ER6 and Ninja 650 Rear shock failure.

Please excuse the random paragraphs. I copied and pasted relevant sections from posts I had made over on several Kawasaki forums just before heading off to bed.

This isn't an official recall but I felt others should be made aware.

Keep an eye on the pre-load stopper!

I got on my bike the other day thinking the rear tyre had lost air...

After checking the tyre and scratching my head i popped to a local shop to get a bite to eat. I came back home thinking that there's something wrong with the bike, the back end just seemed far too soft compared to how it was before. Closer inspection revealed that the lower of the two spot welds had failed and i have effectively lost 3 stops of pre-load (equivalent to its softest setting)

Closer inspection in today's sunlight reveals that the spot weld is fine (which was to be expected) it was the body of the shock that has cracked and started to peel away. There's not much materiel holding the tab in place right now. Kawasaki were great with sorting the problem out, they took photos and filled out some claim forms, then told me the new shock should arrive before the end of next week.

I told them to highlight this problem with Kawasaki HQ, as it's a critical component and defective materials / techniques may have been used with other shocks too.

I guess with being one of the first in the world to get the 2012 N650 I’m kind of testing their product, especially considering the 34,000km i have racked up in just over a year of ownership

I didn't ask why it had failed, as the guys there wouldn't be able to answer such a question, they posses limited English skills and suffer from a lack of logical thinking.

I've only adjusted the pre-load once since owning the bike, so it's not like i've been spinning the ring around and around, yet somehow that ring has worked its way under the tab...

On closer inspection of the tab it's self, I found that the area that contacts with the pre-load adjustment ring's steps seems to have an inward angle (by inwards i mean an angle that invited the adjustment ring into the shock's body and under the tab.

I'm certain that the inward slant of the locking tab has created excessive stress and fatigue of the metal underneath. This in turn has caused the protective paint to crack and started oxidization at the surface, however rust hasn't caused this failure, the design/fitment of the lock tab has.

Or perhaps the lock tab was mounted upside down??

I did mention at the start of last year I found the upper shock’s mount to have 3-4mm of free-play. Something which all 2012 – 2013 models have. I always thought this to be strange, never had such play on any of my other bikes. Take the weight off of your rear wheel, by placing the bike on it’s side stand, then from the right-hand side of the bike push the right handle bar away from you until the rear wheel just clears the ground, bounce the bike up and down 1-2” (enough to load the suspension and then lift the bike back up again) you’ll see and hear movement in the upper bush)

I always wondered if this slapping motion (caused by the free play) would result in premature wear of bushes….. Perhaps such harsh ‘slaps’ started this whole issue off…

post-59428-0-81681900-1361375338_thumb.j

post-59428-0-93756400-1361375342_thumb.j

post-59428-0-88774600-1361375352_thumb.j

post-59428-0-26371900-1361375364_thumb.j

• 10 months later...