4 Thais Among Forbes Asia'S 48 Heroes Of Philanthropy

webfact

PHILANTHROPY

4 Thais among Forbes Asia's 48 Heroes of Philanthropy

The Nation

THAILAND: -- Boonchai Benjarongkul, Tan Passakornnatee, Bilaibhan Sampatisiri and Thongma Vijitpongpun are four Thais enlisted in Forbes Asia's 48 Heroes of Philanthropy.

Released today, Boonchai, founder of Cellphone Network and Total Access Communication, was honoured for his devotion in supporting education and culture since selling control of the company in 2005. This year, he plans to open the Thai Contemporary Art Museum in Bangkok, an US$8.4 million showcase for his collection of modern Thai painting, sculpture and miniatures that will be the nation’s largest privately funded museum.

Tan pledges half his net profit to his Tan Pan Foundation, which works to improve education, the environment and tourism. Gave $67,000 from his TV appearances with a standup comic for new buildings at Bor Thong Kindergarten in Chon Buri, his hometown. He also contributed to Japanese earthquake relief and raised more money via his restaurants and Facebook fan page for a total of $143,000.

Bilaibhan, chairperson of the family-owned Nai Lert Park Hotel, is helping lead efforts to conserve the nation’s fast-disappearing architectural heritage as president of the Siam Society. She also serves as president of a Thai fund involved in protecting wild elephants. Runs the Lert Sin Foundation, which supports health care and education and is funded from the legacy of her grandfather, who built real estate, retailing and transport businesses.

Thongma, CEO of Pruksa Real Estate, donated some $660,000 to hospitals, Buddhist organisations and schools in 2010 and 2011. A civil engineer by training, he’s channeled most of his education-related giving into the engineering field.

Forbes Asia enlisted 48 most remarkable givers from across Asia Pacific. From each of 12 jurisdictions, four are selected for their mark in philanthropy in innovative ways.

"The selections are subjective and we aimed for a mix of notable people and causes. We also try to identify new philanthropists each year and pick only true philanthropists who are giving their own money. If highlighting these 48 generous souls encourages more people to support worthy causes, then we will deem our project a big success," said John Koppisch, Senior Editor, Forbes Asia.

Education for the poor remains a strong theme for many of the philanthropists.

Among the most noteworthy donations is the $62 million that Hui Ka Yan, a Chinese property developer who started Evergrande Real Estate, gave to alleviate poverty and provide scholarships to more than 10,000 students.

Also making education his focus is Malaysia's Vincent Tan, who has stepped down from an active role at the conglomerate he founded, the Berjaya Group, and now devotes much of his time to his Better Malaysia Foundation. The Foundation is focused on the improvement of the country's level of English.

Another big donor is Indonesia's Tahir, founder and chairman of the Mayapada Group. He has donated more than $50 million to universities in China, Indonesia, Singapore and the US, primarily in the form of scholarships. This year, he gave $24 million to the National University of Singapore for medical research.In the Philippines, Mercedes Zobel, daughter of former Ayala CEO Enrique Zobel, gives nearly $600,000 a year to education, health and arts projects.

In Hong Kong, Marjorie Yang's Esquel-Y.L. Yang Education Foundation has been funding the building or renovation Page 2 of 4 of more than 20 schools. The Esquel Group has also provided microfinance to 300 rural households in China's Xinjiang region.The Arts was a major area of focus among the list's honorees.

Taiwan's Shi Wen Long, founder of petrochemicals company Chimei Group, started the Chi Mei Culture Foundation, which runs Taiwan's largest private museum and the world's number one violin database. The museum houses his collection of 1,100 violins - the world's biggest by a nonviolin-maker or dealer. Visiting musicians and local students are free to borrow the violins.

Australia's David Walsh, who made millions from a gambling system to bet on horse racing and other sports, spent $75 million building Hobart's architecturally stunning Museum of Old & New Art, or MONA. The museum displays his $100 million art collection and since opening in January last year, it has become one of Tasmania's top tourist attractions.

Conservation featured highly as a priority for some of the region's donors. South Korea's Son Chang-Geun, who owned and managed a 1,636-acre forest that had been part of the family estate for decades, donated the forest to the Korea Forest Service so it will remain in a natural state. He had 2 million trees planted there since 2006 and it is valued at $85 million.

Helping the rural pHelping the rural poor is another major cause. India's Rajashree Birla, mother of the chairman of Aditya Birla Group, Kumar Birla, oversees two family foundations and chairs the Aditya Birla Centre for Community Initiatives & Rural Development, the charitable arm of the commodities conglomerate. It has a presence in 3,000 villages and says it has helped 7 million people.

Singapore's banker turned entrepreneur, Christopher Wilson, cofounded Social Capital Venture, which in 2 years has installed clean-water systems in schools, health centers, hospitals, villages and orphanages in the impoverished Cambodian province of Kampong Chhnang. The venture may expand to India, Thailand and Indonesia.

In the past year, Asia has suffered from natural disasters and some of the region's tycoons have rallied to help the victims. Among them, Thailand's Tan Passakornnatee, founder and president of Ichitan Group, a restaurant and beverage business, gave $2.3 million, boats and bottled tea for flood relief. He also organized thousands of Facebook followers to package survivor-aid kits and made YouTube videos demonstrating how to make life jackets and rafts.

Japan's professional golf star, Ryo Ishikawa, the youngest of the philanthropists at age 20, donated all his earnings last year plus $1,000 for every birdie he scored, towards earthquake disaster relief. His contributions surpassed $1.6 million. He also donated to victims of Thailand's floods after playing in a tournament there in December.

Park Chan-Ho, a Korean major league baseball player who pitched for 7 teams in the U.S. and now for the Hanwha Eagles, also donated to support the development of youth baseball and improve the sport's infrastructure in South Korea.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-21

When I opened this thread, I had this fear that our man in Dubai would be listed....ermm.gif

He should have been, because he has donated millions of dollars to the "needy" in the form of 500 baht per day hand outstongue.png

Yes, thank goodness for all these wonderful rich people. Our pathetic, proletarian lives are definitely enriched by those art museums. How in the world did we survive this long without them? And getting Bill Gates in to talk about philanthropy-- now there's a bold move. Certainly Thailand could use a wholesale invasion of Monsanto crops to ease world hunger.

http://seattletimes....st28ashton.html

And this makes me certain that there's no need to make them pay those taxes they've been dodging. Why, it would be churlish to ask such sainted folk to contribute even more to the public weal. After all, their financial contributions to our politicians are yet another sign of their largesse.

Edited by DeepInTheForest

When I opened this thread, I had this fear that our man in Dubai would be listed....ermm.gif

There is no way that I thought Mr ME ME ME would be on the list

How much does it cost to get on the list?

• Like 1

Yes, thank goodness for all these wonderful rich people. Our pathetic, proletarian lives are definitely enriched by those art museums. And getting Bill Gates in to talk about philanthropy-- now there's a bold move. Certainly Thailand could use a wholesale invasion of Monsanto crops to ease world hunger.

And this makes me certain that there's no need to make them pay those taxes they've been dodging. Why, it would be churlish to ask such sainted folk to contribute even more to the public weal. After all, their financial contributions to our politicians are yet another sign of their largesse.

Right...Gates is such a horrible person:

Gates Foundation (You should read the entire list of accomplishments in this link...especially before citing one particular area).

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (B&MGF or the Gates Foundation) is the largest transparently operated[4] private foundation in the world, founded by Bill and Melinda Gates. It is "driven by the interests and passions of the Gates family".[5] The primary aims of the foundation are, globally, to enhance healthcare and reduce extreme poverty, and in America, to expand educational opportunities and access to information technology.

The Gates Foundation has quickly become a major influence upon global health; the approximately US$800 million that the foundation gives every year for global health approaches the annual budget of the United Nations World Health Organization (193 nations) and is comparable to the funds given to fight infectious disease by the United States Agency for International Development.[20] The Foundation currently provides 17% (US$86 million in 2006) of the world budget for the attempted eradication of poliomyelitis (polio).[21]

http://www.who.int/m...9/en/index.html

WHO welcomes the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation pledge of US$ 10 billion over the next ten years to accelerate global vaccine efforts.

I tried to find the video of khun Michai, but couldn't find the specific interview where he talks about bringing in Bill Gates to talk with hi so kids about the importance of being socially responsible. Not a bad concept for Thailand to endorse....right???

• Like 1

Had Mr. T used the money spent on protestors salaries and civil/ criminal disobedience to fund meaningful schools, meals, transportation for poor students perhaps he could have received a royal pardon and become a hero for the right reasons.

• Like 1

Yes, thank goodness for all these wonderful rich people. Our pathetic, proletarian lives are definitely enriched by those art museums. How in the world did we survive this long without them? And getting Bill Gates in to talk about philanthropy-- now there's a bold move. Certainly Thailand could use a wholesale invasion of Monsanto crops to ease world hunger.

Do you just have a dislike for people with lot's of money or is it just against those trying to help the poor.

Maybe you might want to reread the article you posted and think about how much help the scientific and sociological people who are against Gates efforts have done for Africa. With that many organizations and knowledgeable people knowing what is good for Africa you would think Africa was a paradise.

Or are they like you sit on the side lines and criticize?

There is no way that I thought Mr ME ME ME would be on the list

How much does it cost to get on the list?

Big T will be on the phone to Amsterdam to make it happen

Yes, thank goodness for all these wonderful rich people. Our pathetic, proletarian lives are definitely enriched by those art museums. And getting Bill Gates in to talk about philanthropy-- now there's a bold move. Certainly Thailand could use a wholesale invasion of Monsanto crops to ease world hunger.

Right...Gates is such a horrible person:

Gates Foundation (You should read the entire list of accomplishments in this link...especially before citing one particular area).

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (B&MGF or the Gates Foundation) is the largest transparently operated[4] private foundation in the world, founded by Bill and Melinda Gates. It is "driven by the interests and passions of the Gates family".[5] The primary aims of the foundation are, globally, to enhance healthcare and reduce extreme poverty, and in America, to expand educational opportunities and access to information technology.

The Gates Foundation has quickly become a major influence upon global health; the approximately US$800 million that the foundation gives every year for global health approaches the annual budget of the United Nations World Health Organization (193 nations) and is comparable to the funds given to fight infectious disease by the United States Agency for International Development.[20] The Foundation currently provides 17% (US$86 million in 2006) of the world budget for the attempted eradication of poliomyelitis (polio).[21]

http://www.who.int/m...9/en/index.html

WHO welcomes the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation pledge of US$ 10 billion over the next ten years to accelerate global vaccine efforts.

I tried to find the video of khun Michai, but couldn't find the specific interview where he talks about bringing in Bill Gates to talk with hi so kids about the importance of being socially responsible. Not a bad concept for Thailand to endorse....right???

Originally the focus of my post was the fawning obsequiousness that is granted the rich and their "charity" work (I'm still having a hard time with the art museums, though I suppose someone has to support them.)

But we've gotten onto the Gates Foundation somehow, and I'm not averse to bringing it into consideration.

I don’t blame TV readers and commentators for having a view of Bill Gates as a truly altruistic rarity, and the Gates Foundation as an unadulterated force for good in the world. There is virtually no criticism of Gates and his work in major news outlets. This is due in part because he has “partnered” with them. In effect, he owns them. Surprised? I was, too. In fact, there is an entire $300 million-a-year “advocacy and policy” effort from the Gates Foundation. A considerable portion is earmarked for media corporations, effectively buying off the press, including a recent $20 million grant to the BBC. If it came to be known that a certain Dubai billionaire was doing the same, what would our reaction be?

http://www.bizjourna...rt.html?ana=twt

http://seattletimes....gatesmedia.html

Bill Gates has commendably decided to spend his life doing philanthropy work. His billions have enlived the coffers of anti-malaria and anti-AIDS efforts in Africa. A million people are said to be alive today because of anti-malarial efforts.

We can all stand up and cheer such results, and the seeming altruism that drove the effort.

But philanthropy is a fraught affair. Ours is a complex world. The best of intentions can have unintended results. What appears to be altruism can also include self-interest. The Gates Foundation should not be immune to criticism because it has done good in some areas. If other areas create catastrophes, should they not be called out?

You may want to peruse the contents of the Wiki article you linked to. At the bottom is a ‘Criticism’ section that contains a link to an LA Times article titled “Dark Cloud Over Good Works of Gates Foundation”. Here’s an excerpt, with a tale from a suburb of Durban, South Africa:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"My son Teiago was in and out of hospital since the age of 3," she said. "He couldn't breathe nicely.... There are so many children in this area who have the same problems."

Two of the area's worst industrial polluters -- a Mondi paper mill and a giant Sapref oil refinery -- squat among the homes near Isipingo like sleepy grey dragons, exhaling chemical vapors day and night.

The Sapref plant, which has had two dozen significant spills, flares, pipeline ruptures and explosions since 1998, and the Mondi plant together pump thousands of tons of putrid-smelling chemicals into the air annually, according to their own monitoring.

In 2002, a study found that more than half of the children at a school in nearby Merebank suffered asthma -- one of the highest rates in scientific literature. A second study, published last year, found serious respiratory problems throughout the region: More than half of children aged 2 to 5 had asthma, largely attributed to sulfur dioxide and other industrial pollutants. Much of it was produced by companies in which the Gates Foundation was invested.

Asthma was not the only danger. Isipingo is in what environmental activists call "Cancer Valley." Emissions of benzene, dioxins and other carcinogens were "among the highest levels found in any comparable location the world," said Stuart Batterman at the University of Michigan, a coauthor of both studies.

The Gates Foundation is a major shareholder in the companies that own both of the polluting plants. As of September, the foundation held $295 million worth of stock in BP, a co-owner of Sapref. As of 2005, it held $35 million worth of stock in Royal Dutch Shell, Sapref's other owner. The foundation also held a $39-million investment in Anglo American, which owns the Mondi paper mill.

The foundation has held large investments in all three companies since at least 2002. Since then, the worth of BP shares has shot up by about 83%, Royal Dutch Shell shares by 77% and Anglo American shares about 255%. Dividends have padded the foundation's assets by additional millions of dollars.

The foundation has gotten much more in financial gains from its investments in the polluters than it has given to the Durban microbicide study to fight AIDS.

http://articles.lati...n/na-gatesx07/3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It bears pointing out that other foundations, like the Ford and the Rockefeller Foundations, have strict rules on where their investments can go.

I hope I am not conveying the impression that I am opposed to philanthropy, or like to dump on people for the heck of it. But the Gates Foundation needs a critical eye. Does the brief excerpt above give you any pause, or inspire reflection? I urge you to do your own internet searching (perhaps on: Bill Gates critique). The things you find will surprise you, not least concerning the malaria effort. And then there is the entire privatization-of-schools issue. And don't even get me started on Monsanto. Or the tax-dodging, which if eliminated (this is a global issue) would mean we would all need a lot less charity.

The world is a dirty place. Saints are rarely what they seem. Bill Gates, for all his good works, is still an enforcer of the corporate, top-down, profit-driven model, which is not always effective in public-health affairs. When we fail to critically examine our world and its narratives, we're in for a hard landing.

And that's enough pontificating from this writer for today.

Edited by DeepInTheForest