Thai FM Surapong Denies Visiting US To Obtain An Entry Visa For Thaksin

webfact

Foreign Minister denied visiting US to get entry visa for Mr. Thaksin

BANGKOK, 21 June 2012 (NNT)-Foreign Minister Mr. Surapong Torvichakchaikul denied media speculation that he was in the United States last week to request an entry visa for Mr. Thaksin Shinawatra or discuss with NASA regarding the U-tapao military base.

He purported that his recent trip to the US was only to attend a strategic meeting with the US officials. There were neither discussions regarding a visa for former PM Thaksin nor NASA’s mission in Thailand.He said it was entirely the US’s decision to grant an entry visa to any applicant.

Mr. Surapong added that he had been invited by the Secretary of States, Hillary Clinton, to share his thoughts on transnational crimes and human trafficking. He explained that Thailand is ranked no. 2 on the US’s human trafficking watch list at present.

The Foreign Minister claimed he had previously submitted the letter to the US government explaining how Thailand has always been trying to stamp out human trafficking and was hoping that the US would lower Thailand in its next annual ranking report.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-06-21 footer_n.gif

"The Foreign Minister claimed he had previously submitted the letter to the US government explaining how Thailand has always been trying to stamp out human trafficking and was hoping that the US would lower Thailand in its next annual ranking report."

Minor rant: I'm rather tired of government officials talking about "trying" or "trying his/her best" to do something, whether it be stamping out human trafficking, running a government, or preventing flood devastation. For once I'd like to hear some say "we succeeded" in, say, stamping out Dengue fever. It would be a nice change.

Yoda said, "Do, or do not. There is no try."

Edit: Typo

Edited by noahvail
  • Like 2

"The Foreign Minister claimed he had previously submitted the letter to the US government explaining how Thailand has always been trying to stamp out human trafficking and was hoping that the US would lower Thailand in its next annual ranking report"

He must have forgotten about the people of Cambodia and Myanmar working in the fishing , hotel, building and garment industry.

According to the Foreign Minister:

He said it was entirely the US’s decision to grant an entry visa to any applicant

According to the Defense Minister:

He claimed that the former Prime Minister can enter the US any time he wants.

Surely, this was the Air Chief Marshall's facial expression while making the joke above.

Sukumpol.jpg

"The Foreign Minister claimed he had previously submitted the letter to the US government explaining how Thailand has always been trying to stamp out human trafficking and was hoping that the US would lower Thailand in its next annual ranking report."

Minor rant: I'm rather tired of government officials talking about "trying" or "trying his/her best" to do something, whether it be stamping out human trafficking, running a government, or preventing flood devastation. For once I'd like to hear some say "we succeeded" in, say, stamping out Dengue fever. It would be a nice change.

Nah! that would have been 'Do or Do not. Try there is no.' ;)

The FM lacks any credibility on this subject considering that he was the one rushing, as a priority, to get Thaksin his passport back.

I would like to hear them say .... Patpong in Bangkok does not exist anymore and we have cracked down on all areas of allowing very young girls , older girls ...in fact all girls to be allowed into a prostitution position. Most of these young girls are offered and sold because their families cannot afford to support them and so we the Government of Thailand have decided to put in place a finacial plan (cancel all purchases of tablets from China) to feed , educate and bring up these children so they can have a decent life .... Dream , Dream along !!!... :-)))

I'm sure that Surapong thinks he can open up the US Immigrations office on a Sunday morning, frog march some clerk in, produce a golden green card for Thaksin and have it hand-delivered to Dubai by private jet.

It works in Thailand after all.