Teaching English

ChiangMai2012

I have a masters degree in English from University of Arkansas. I want to teach English in the classroom (not English as a second language, but actual English), ideally at an international school. I'm having trouble finding what the requirements are to teach here in Chiang Mai.

Thanks in advance for the help.

International schools require teaching qualifications and often extensive experience. A MA English will get you brownie points at Thai schools wanting a TEFL teacher. For better info, perhaps mods should move this to the teaching forum. Also, the OP may want to try one of the other forums that I don't think we can mention, specific to teaching in Thailand (hint: ajarn is a Thai word for teacher).

You'll get more accurate responses at the Teaching in Thailand Forum: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/46-teaching-in-thailand-forum/ And there are most likely topics related to teaching in Chiang Mai there as well.

Sorry for doubling up on Post #3. My internet connection was down for a while, and the posts crossed in the mail.

Edited by MrBrad

You will get positions in the University but most likely will be teaching fundamental EFL with the occassional lit/writing class.

As others have said international schools will desire a teacher's license from your home state or a certificate. You will also be asked about home country teaching experience. 2 years is standard.

You will find lower tier inter schools that will hire you but the pay will be less not much more than what TEFL teacher's get.

Get certifiied in your home country and work at a public school for 2 years, then you can literally teach anywhere.

From my dealings with some teachers here, the Chiang Mai schools are not as strict with requirements.

This does not mean I have met poorly qualified people, but rather they have told me this themselves.

Do this:

look up the list of international schools in CM or wherever you want to work

Go to each website

Find their employment section

There you will find the positions and what they expect from candidates.

Crikey, principals wet their pants if a native English speaker shows up with a degree in doing jigsaw puzzles, so you can imagine their delight if someone shows up with a Masters in English from USA. Do some research and visit a few places, there's sure to be a spot for you or waiting for you in the near future. They might want you to get a TEFL, like most other English teachers without a high school diploma get in a month, at some local course. But once you have what they require your salary will be decided accordingly and the MA is a good negotiator.

• Like 1

Crikey, principals wet their pants if a native English speaker shows up with a degree in doing jigsaw puzzles, so you can imagine their delight if someone shows up with a Masters in English from USA. Do some research and visit a few places, there's sure to be a spot for you or waiting for you in the near future. They might want you to get a TEFL, like most other English teachers without a high school diploma get in a month, at some local course. But once you have what they require your salary will be decided accordingly and the MA is a good negotiator.

Not sure if what he wants is available here in Chiang Mai. He says he does not want to teach English as a second language.

I take that to mean he wants to teach students who speak English as a first language.

Not sure if what he wants is available here in Chiang Mai. He says he does not want to teach English as a second language.

I take that to mean he wants to teach students who speak English as a first language.

If you read his opening post, you'll know he's ideally looking for work at an international school. There are around 7 in Chiang Mai (CMIS, LIST, NIS, Prem, Grace, VCS International school annex, American Pacific).

If you read his opening post, you'll know he's ideally looking for work at an international school. There are around 7 in Chiang Mai (CMIS, LIST, NIS, Prem, Grace, VCS International school annex, American Pacific).

True by the time I got down to this point old age had kicked in and I forgot that part.

Do they still teach English in the Teen years? Is it grammar and diagramming sentences like in the 50s or is it more like writing? Completely lost on the subject. I know in the early years they tried to teach me to spell.

It was my worst subject at 45 I took the collage entrance test and they said I was at collage entry level. Could have knocked me over with a feather.

Edited by hellodolly