Chang Mai Virgin

LuckyLew

I am thinking about taking a trip to Chang Mai as I have never been up there.

Since this will be my first visit to the area, can people give me a few recommendations

on what are the must see sites in and around Chang Mai?

How long is a recommended stay in Cahng Mai? in days 2 ? 3 ? 4?

We will be flying from Bangkok to Chang Mai

Is August a good month to travel to Chang Mai? or is it too wet?

How about early September?

Also, a few hotel recommendations would be nice, price range 1000 - 2000,

but hotel needs to have WIFI, swimming pool and free breakfast

All tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

You could go to see the torture of the elephants at the elephant camp, perhaps take in the hot springs and boil a few eggs, there are a couple of pandas to see at the zoo. That’s about it.

The night bazaar hardly worth bothering these days, night life practically non-existent and what’s left of it closes early, decent Western style restaurant I would recommend the Dukes, the other couple or so restaurants, nothing to write home about.

Certainly 3 days is ample to see what’s on offer in Chiang Mai, stay any longer and you’re get bored.

That’s the way it is, I live here and no, I’m staying.

What utter rubbish, I think BJ should leave for pastures new.

OK

If here at the weekend, Walking street Saturday night San Kamphaeng,good for local handicrafts or the walking Street Sunday, town centre, both great fun.

Sankamphaeng hot Springs any time, several caves to visit.

They don't torture the elephants, a good show. If you drive, take the Samoeng loop, see the elephant shows and other attractions.

Wat Doi Suthep is really worth seeing and there is a 'touristy' Doi Pui ' hilltribe village further up.

The weather at the moment is dry, but it is the rainy season. Tends to rain in the afternoons, quite hard, .We've had several days of hot sunshine. If you are unlucky you will get several days of cloud and some rain, but the chances are you will not. September is wetter and you will almost certainly have rain.

Can't help with hotels as I live here, but I'd suggest one in the centre, CM is easy to walk around. If you want to shop, Airport Plaza of for wooden thingys try Ban Tawai- about 15 km south.

Hope you have a great time, CM is really nice

What utter rubbish, I think BJ should leave for pastures new.

OK

If here at the weekend, Walking street Saturday night San Kamphaeng,good for local handicrafts or the walking Street Sunday, town centre, both great fun.

Sankamphaeng hot Springs any time, several caves to visit.

They don't torture the elephants, a good show. If you drive, take the Samoeng loop, see the elephant shows and other attractions.

Wat Doi Suthep is really worth seeing and there is a 'touristy' Doi Pui ' hilltribe village further up.

The weather at the moment is dry, but it is the rainy season. Tends to rain in the afternoons, quite hard, .We've had several days of hot sunshine. If you are unlucky you will get several days of cloud and some rain, but the chances are you will not. September is wetter and you will almost certainly have rain.

Can't help with hotels as I live here, but I'd suggest one in the centre, CM is easy to walk around. If you want to shop, Airport Plaza of for wooden thingys try Ban Tawai- about 15 km south.

Hope you have a great time, CM is really nice

I`ve already told you; I`m not leaving.

• Like 1

Don't forgot to mention another famous attraction, the Night Safari, just watch out for open drain holes as they are known to swallow up whole hippoptumus's. Still there are plenty of hotels for all budgets, its pretty vague what you are wanting...single,a family,a wife with billy lids in tow?

Plan for 4 days miniumum and don't blame me if your bored in 1 day ! Try some rafting/rent a bike and a tour to a hilltribe village, get the bus to Mai Sai and go to Myanamar and shopping for a day. Loads of things to do.

I'm not leaving either.

Don't forgot to mention another famous attraction, the Night Safari, just watch out for open drain holes as they are known to swallow up whole hippoptumus's. Still there are plenty of hotels for all budgets, its pretty vague what you are wanting...single,a family,a wife with billy lids in tow?

Plan for 4 days miniumum and don't blame me if your bored in 1 day ! Try some rafting/rent a bike and a tour to a hilltribe village, get the bus to Mai Sai and go to Myanamar and shopping for a day. Loads of things to do.

I'm not leaving either.

I don`t recommend the night safari. It`s like a Belson concentration camp for wildlife. I`ve never been, never will.

You may enjoy it if you like shopping for souvenirs and experiencing the splendours of Tesco Lotus and Big C, and perhaps being a little more risqué and venturing into Makros.

For the DIY man, a visit to Global House and Home Pro is a must.

Make sure your hotel is comfortable for all the early nights you’re be having.

But please, don’t take my word for it, try it out first and let us have your report.

BTW, I’m still not leaving, because I actually like it here, but I`m not a tourist trying to seek out things of interest.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

I'm not leaving either.

I don`t recommend the night safari. It`s like a Belson concentration camp for wildlife. I`ve never been, never will.

You may enjoy it if you like shopping for souvenirs and experiencing the splendours of Tesco Lotus and Big C, and perhaps being a little more risqué and venturing into Makros.

For the DIY man, a visit to Global House and Home Pro is a must.

Make sure your hotel is comfortable for all the early nights you’re be having.

But please, don’t take my word for it, try it out first and let us have your report.

BTW, I’m still not leaving, because I actually like it here, but I`m not a tourist trying to seek out things of interest.

I think you must have a cunning plan to keep tourists away and enjoy the peace and quiet ( ? and boredom) all to yourself. am I right or am I right?