Indian Restaurants In Chiang Mai

eljuwa

I think that Chiang Mai is a foodie heaven and I think that the restaurants in Chiang Mai are the best in Thailand.

I love Indian food and the best that I discovered is: New Delhi Indian Foods on Ratchawithee Road (next to the Irish Pub). They buy all their herbs and spices from India and their chefs are from Delhi.

I wish to hear from you if you are able to recommend other Indian restaurants.

Thanks

James

• Like 1

Personally, I prefer Royal India and Kebab House which are right around the corner and less expensive. Another good one, but not as cheap, is almost right across Loi Kroh road from the Duangtawan Hotel. The quality of the food is a little better than the other places that have been mentioned, but I'm not sure that it is worth the difference in price.

IMO, all of these pretty much the same food that one gets in India in a cheap neighborhood type of place. As far as I know, there are no Indian restaurants in Chiang Mai with gourmet Indian cuisine although I have not tried the Chedi Hotel on the river which is much more expensive and is highly recomended by some..

Edited by Ulysses G.

I like the little Indian restaurant opposite the Imperial Mae Ping hotel, on the road that connects Sri Dornchai with Loi Kroh Road. I usually get to it by heading down Sri Dornchai road from the South East corner of the moat, passing the side of the Imperial Mae Ping hotel on my left, then turning immediately at the "demolition derby" crossroads (with no lights or any form of traffic control!). The restaurant is then a short way along this road on your right.

I have no idea what it's called, and the decor is not great (clean but ugly) but the food is very reasonably priced and really rather good. I prefer to sit on the one outside table and watch the world go by (whilst avoiding the ugly interior!). My favourite dish is their Matter Paneer (Indian cheese and peas) - lovely.

If you need to refer to a map look here: http://findercm.com/maplower.html

thumbsup.gif

Edited by JimShortz

I like the little Indian restaurant opposite the Imperial Mae Ping hotel, on the road that connects Sri Dornchai with Loi Kroh Road. I usually get to it by heading down Sri Dornchai road from the South East corner of the moat, passing the side of the Imperial Mae Ping hotel on my left, then turning immediately at the "demolition derby" crossroads (with no lights or any form of traffic control!). The restaurant is then a short way along this road on your right.

I have no idea what it's called, and the decor is not great (clean but ugly) but the food is very reasonably priced and really rather good. I prefer to sit on the one outside table and watch the world go by (whilst avoiding the ugly interior!). My favourite dish is their Matter Paneer (Indian cheese and peas) - lovely.

thumbsup.gif

Thanks very much for your input, Jim Shorts. I will try the restaurant that you recommended.

At thaipae gate, look across to the dental clinic. Look to the left about 50 yards. You will see a small soi, down it is a small Indian restaurant or there was last time I was there.

Thanks, Quietman. I will check it out.

thumbsup.gif

Thanks again, Jim

jim shortz re .. I have no idea what it's called,

taste of india : )

dave2

Thanks dave2. I might have known you would have a photo, too - lol!

PS for those who tried this restaurant a number of years ago and didn't like it, be aware that the owners changed and the new(ish) guys are in a different league. I also thought it wasn't up to much a few years ago, but like it now!

Personally, I prefer Royal India and Kebab House which are right around the corner and less expensive. Another good one, but not as cheap, is almost right across Loi Kroh road from the Duangtawan Hotel. The quality of the food is a little better than the other places that have been mentioned, but I'm not sure that it is worth the difference in price.

IMO, all of these pretty much the same food that one gets in India in a cheap neighborhood type of place. As far as I know, there are no Indian restaurants in Chiang Mai with gourmet Indian cuisine although I have not tried the Chedi Hotel on the river which is much more expensive and is highly recomended by some..

The one across the road from the Duangtawan was really good. Went there twice with my boy. The second time we went there the food was really good. But the service was so bad I decided not to go back.

thumbsup.gif

Thanks very much for your input, Jim Shorts. I will try the restaurant that you recommended.

Can't remember what it was but at one time they had a product you could buy there for use in cooking at home. It was highly recomended

• Like 2

Can't remember what it was but at one time they had a product you could buy there for use in cooking at home. It was highly recomended

Now this has to be one of the more useful posts on here...

I think hd posted in a hurry because he had to go to a place to see a guy about a thing.

I second (or third?) the Taste of India recommendation. I'm stuck on the Chicken Madras (ask for phet phet or you get the westernized tame version) and Vegetable Biryani Rice, all topped with a little bit of mint sauce. Mmmmm.....

I think Radjabar the one you were talking about is the only place that serve biryani made of real basmati rice. But the way they run the place I too was afraid they'll go out of business please give them another chance I like this place so much.

The one across the road from the Duangtawan was really good. Went there twice with my boy. The second time we went there the food was really good. But the service was so bad I decided not to go back.

Now this has to be one of the more useful posts on here...

As usual your highness just being your humble servant.

Ummm some one edited your post I missed out on your incredible treasure of knowledge that I am sure was imparted in it.