Will I Risk Losing Your Bike To The Bib If I Get Stopped In A Control?

dagling

Thinking of a new bike, but after this e-mail so I was not sure. Can someone explain to me what this means, and whether this bike is legal on the road? The bike is pictured with plate number. Will I risk losing your bike to the BIB if I get stopped in a control?

"Hello Mr.XXXX

This bike have real book but we change engine from Yamaha 1,100 cc. to engine Yamaha Roadstar 1,600 cc. In the book put engine 1,100cc. and We have the paper from import come to Thailand now. So The book can use with paper from import but the bike not legal because that custombike all bike in Thailand if not original (custom) you can't drive motor bike to transport government for tranfer name yourself. That mean We can made for you only change the name for tax they don't want check your bike you can pay yourself everywhere.

Thank you if you want more than information you can ake my husband Tel.08XXXXXX his name XXXXXXXXX.

Best Regard.

post-84957-0-36802900-1344535311_thumb.j

Lot's of bikes running around Thailand like these. You don't risk losing it unless they determine it's stolen or illegally imported. Judging by thier comments, the book is clearly a "bent" book, but to what degree is anyone's guess as there are different ways to do this. There are also legit ways to do what they have done but since they are admitting you cannot change the name then that means it's a bogus book of some kind. Only way to know for sure is to have the books corresponding data card sent from whatever it's currently registered to your local DTL to compare. The data card will certainly not reflect the current cc, maybe color etc. As long as you have a book, even a bent one, you will always be able to tax it each year, get through checkpoints etc. If your bike is at a garage when it's raided by police you may run into problems, as bikes do get seized that way at times as the police assume the bikes are all owned by the shop and are illegally imported. Burden is on you to prove it's not. If they are providing you the import tax paid receipt you should be alright.

I bought a bike in similar condition from asiatradingonline sometime back and it was a nightmare, but I never worried about "losing it to the police." Even here you have rights which protect you from having the police just take your stuff without cause.

Edited by NomadJoe

What it means is the engine number in the book doesn't match the vehicle. Assuming i am correct then the book can never be transferred to your name. Will it get confiscated? I don't think anyone can tell you. It needs to be a big bargain to make it worth the risk.

i know the exact shop in your picture and he sells some very nice sport bikes in this way :)

great prices too

I have never run into any problems with my imported bikes but maybe ive been lucky

My friend has a very nice bike that come over as "spare parts " wink.png and he hasnt had any grief over it yet

although if its a 1000cc or larger expect to pay 60 or 80k to make a legal book but you can still save a fortune

over buying the thai version

the book is clearly a "bent" book....

very diplomatic, I would call it dodgy.

What it means is the engine number in the book doesn't match the vehicle. Assuming i am correct then the book can never be transferred to your name

I seriously doubt, that the "wrong" engine is the reason, which prevents the name transfer. (How much time does it need to "restamp" the engine?)

Or does somebody really believe, that shops or "agencies", who can "assist" you, when transferring book etc, bring the bike to the DLT? laugh.png

Two "copies" from the frame number, made with masking tape, are enough.

Nobody from the *right persons* at the DLT is interested in the engine number, or to see the bike.

DLT Chonburi is usually 200 Baht per bike from a foreign province (without receipt), for "not showing" the bike.whistling.gif

So what is the real reason for "cannot"?

Edited by vel_tins

^^^ no, the engine number is not important.

I assume 90% of the imported bikes, came in parts. So the books are, most likely, dodgy.

I hate to repeat myself, but one hint for the people who don't know "how it works" here, especially with bikes/books like this...

1. Never ever try to deal with the DLT yourself!

2. Don't even think about, to show up at the DLT with your bike!

They are not stupid and can "blacklist" your book if they find something wrong!

3. Tax? Let an agency do it for you, if your "imported" bike/book is more than 5 yo

4. Avoid bikes like the plague, if the book is somehow suspicious (what 90 % are..cheesy.gif )

Edited by vel_tins