Shinawatras Call The Shots In Annual Jobs Shake-Up

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

Shinawatras call the shots in annual jobs shake-up

PIYANART SRIVALO

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Reshuffles in the bureaucracy take place every year and there is never anything ordinary about them. Speculation about who will get what position always hits the headlines because in bureaucrat shake-ups are always politicised.

Usually, people in politics have influence over the reshuffle of senior positions in all government agencies. This year officials are keeping their ears and eyes on former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and key figures in the ruling Pheu Thai Party. Their opinions will have an impact on the line up.

Ex-PM Thaksin set guidelines for the reshuffle this year when he declared replacements would not only be those who retire but would also ensure there would be no one, except his clan and associates, having any particular position for too long.

Thaksin's style with reshuffles is to shift people across the board. Senior officials can be moved from one agency to another - promoted to take higher positions in other agencies.

Prime Minister Yingluck has indicated she wants to finish the reshuffle a month before the end of the fiscal year in September as retiring officials leave their positions. It was said the prime minister would make changes in her Cabinet after the bureaucratic shake up was completed.

At least 10 people in the position of permanent-secretary of ministries, plus two senior officials at the same level at the Prime Minister's Office, will retire at the end of September.

Vatchari Vimooktayon became the first female permanent secretary at the Commerce Ministry, as expected, as she had been endorsed by Thaksin's sister Yaowapa Wongsawat. Vatchari, formerly director-general of the Internal Trade Department, was assigned to implement many of the government's populist policies, including the rice pledging programme and consumer price controls.

Chavalit Chookachorn, deputy permanent secretary of the Agriculture Ministry took the top job at the ministry, as desired by the big boss of the coalition Chart Thai Pattana Party, Banharn Silapa-Archa.

Highlighted in news headlines these days is the position of permanent secretary at the Interior Ministry - whether Wiboon Sanguanphong or Wichian Chavalit should take the top job. The story behind the speculation is that brother and sister prefer different choices. Thaksin is believed to have already endorsed Wiboon.

However it is said that Prime Minister Yingluck wanted Wichian, who is currently an adviser to the Prime Minister to take the top job at the Interior Ministry after his performance handling the flood disaster last year. Yingluck and Wichian were classmates at Capital Management College.

Sources in Pheu Thai Party have said Thaksin distrusts Wichian, as he was permanent-secretary in the previous government when the Bhum Jai Thai Party took care of the ministry. Wichian was also close to Thaksin's enemy Newin Chidchob.

Furthermore, Wichian might not be able |to command the ministry, which is now |dominated by Chulalongkorn University |political science alumni. Wichian graduated from Thammasat. Alumni of the two rival |universities are also competing to take key positions in the ministry.

Yingluck has allegedly argued that Wiboon is not "clean" enough, as he is now under investigation by an anti-graft body over a corruption case.

Meanwhile, Nakhon Nayok governor Surachai Srisarakam may be able to take the position of permanent secretary for information, communication and telecommunications if Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan manages to exercise her power within Pheu Thai.

Benja Louicharoen, director-general of the excise tax department, who has close ties with Thaksin's ex-wife Khunying Pojaman Na Pombejra, may be promoted as permanent-secretary of the Finance Ministry.

And Panida Khamphu Na Ayuddhaya, an adviser to the Prime Minister, was reportedly working out how to get back to her previous position as permanent-secretary at the Social Development and Human Security Ministry.

One thing is sure: many people are on the move, as the reshuffle list remains still far from settled.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-23

I wonder what music they are playing this time...could it be "Heart Hotel", "Come On I Wanna Lay You" or possibily "Drop Kick Me Buddha Thru The Gold Post of Life."

They change chairs so fast, it kind of makes one wonder is they have time to change their UNDERWAREgiggle.gif

Edited by jerrysteve

I wonder what music they are playing this time...could it be "Heart Hotel", "Come On I Wanna Lay You" or possibily "Drop Kick Me Buddha Thru The Gold Post of Life."

They change chairs so fast, it kind of makes one wonder is they have time to change their UNDERWAREgiggle.gif

• Like 1

I wonder if any of the new lot actually know anything about the jobs they are being given?

Or does this not matter as they wont really be doing anything.

Won't matter, the staffs do the jobs

and they just pass the word back when they get told it

at the cabinet meeting or the international phone in session.

But one way or another the speeches get written and blathered out to the pres,

and the money still flows back to the top tier

Edited by animatic

Spread the graft and consolidate the clan power, nothing more profound than this.

Only been happening for the last hundred years...................

That makes a lame excuse to justify a criminal clan in power! Bit like: don't go after the mafia clans on Sicily, as they have been around for a while.......

• Like 2

Spread the graft and consolidate the clan power, nothing more profound than this.

Only been happening for the last hundred years...................

That makes a lame excuse to justify a criminal clan in power! Bit like: don't go after the mafia clans on Sicily, as they have been around for a while.......

yes, if I shoot someone and my excuse at court is that murdering people is happening for hundreds of years no one will accept it as excuse.

So that there was corruption before is no excuse for what Thaksin is doing.

• Like 2

Blueberry Burberry Hill. cheesy.gif
  • Like 2

Can't really argue with the Nation's headline here regarding who's calling the shots.

Thaksin Shinawatra owns and runs the ruling party, Ms. Yingluck Shinawatra nominally leads the party in government, Mr. Shinawatra's cousin represents the country abroad as Foreign Minister, the ex-Mrs Shinawatra is still hugely influential within the party and to top it off the ex Mrs Shinawatra's brother is the Chief of Police... and we all know how good shots they are.

Apart from the Al Sabahs in Kuwait I can't think of a more influential political family in recent times.

• Like 1

In a pack full of jokers there are no aces. No matter how many times you shuffle it the best you can do is end up with a different joker, but with the same pattern on his back.
In a pack full of jokers clowns there are no aces. No matter how many times you shuffle it the best you can do is end up with a different joker, but with the same pattern on his back.
  • Like 1

Not much point in shuffling incompetence.

Shuffling the graft.

And shuffling in more clan members to critical positions.

It's called dealing aces from the bottom of the deck.

In a pack full of jokers there are no aces. No matter how many times you shuffle it the best you can do is end up with a different joker, but with the same pattern on his back.

So the Thai government is a bit like "Cool Hand Luke"

Not much point in shuffling incompetence.

Shuffling the graft.

And shuffling in more clan members to critical positions.

It's called dealing aces from the bottom of the deck.

So the Thai government is a bit like "Cool Hand Luke"

More like Gloved Hand Kermit

So let me get this straight:

Whoever has acquired a so called "high education" status or comes from a "well known family in circles, full of corruption and soiled hands" and most likely are the greatest, greediest idiots without respect for cultural diversity are the right people for Thaksin and Yingluck to hire???

• Like 2

So let me get this straight:

Whoever has acquired a so called "high education" status or comes from a "well known family in circles, full of corruption and soiled hands" and most likely are the greatest, greediest idiots without respect for cultural diversity are the right people for Thaksin and Yingluck to hire???

In a word 'yes'!!!

Although I would query the so called "high education" status bit as being requisite!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Can't really argue with the Nation's headline here regarding who's calling the shots.

Thaksin Shinawatra owns and runs the ruling party, Ms. Yingluck Shinawatra nominally leads the party in government, Mr. Shinawatra's cousin represents the country abroad as Foreign Minister, the ex-Mrs Shinawatra is still hugely influential within the party and to top it off the ex Mrs Shinawatra's brother is the Chief of Police... and we all know how good shots they are.

Apart from the Al Sabahs in Kuwait I can't think of a more influential political family in recent times.

Yes, I think you're right. I had to go back as far as the Borgia's !!

• Like 1