"russian Roulette In Thai hel_l"*

LaoPo

source: De Telegraaf - The Netherlands, April 1, 2006.

Update

"New love keeps Machiel Kuijt goin' on" *

Australian 'collegue'-prisoner Robert D. was released but his happiness didn't last long. Immediately after his release (accused for exactly the same as Machiel Kuijt :o ) he was arrested again. Italy demanded for his arrest and he is now in an Italian jail near Roma.

excerpts from the article:

""....it is a public secret that foreign prisoners do return to their homecountries if action is taken on high government levels with the wallet in hand......also, wealthy family members can 'free' their relative for sums of around 30.000 Euro (36K US$).....Nigerians do it with Oildollars......last year a Boeing 707 was sent to Bangkok to pick up 62 (...) long-sentenced prisoners.....they left chearing in the ages-old jet...""

Kuijt's extradition-case has to be judged by a committee of 13 'Thai wise men/women', amongst them Judges, Officers of Justice, Lawyers and Prison officials.

The Netherlands' Ambassador received a declaration of 'good behavior' by Kuijt from the Managing Director of Bang Kwang prison.

Kuijt's hope is also an eventual 'pardon' by HM The King in june (60th anniversary of The King).

* A new love keeps Kuijt goin' on. A Dutch lady is visiting him regurarly.

LaoPo

That would be my question, You are getting better at this SJ..... :o

It does make me laugh that the Dutch wants their laws and penalties to apply in Thailand....A lot of people were asking for the same thing in the recent Singapore hanging case...

It seems you're getting worse (if that's possible) at this, gburns :D

Twisting an extradition treaty into something it is not....

insulting HM Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands...

what's next? would you say the same of Thai Royalty?

im sure he deserved it, and the same goes to all of you who play in others backyard

i would always back severe punishment for these idiots.....

im sure he deserved it, .....

Maybe you know things about the case we don't ? If so, you wouldn't mind sharing them with us, right?

LaoPo

• 8 months later...

source: De Telegraaf - The Netherlands. Saturday September 16 - 2006

Machiel Kuijt, 38, will probably be released in a few weeks from prison in Thailand after he was sentenced to 'life', according to this Dutch newspaper.

He spent almost 10 years in Thai prison.

2 years ago Thailand and The Netherlands signed a special treaty for prisoners from both countries and Kuijt will be released according to the rules in this treaty.

He always denied he was involved in this strange case.

For more info, pls read the previous posts.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

im sure he deserved it, and the same goes to all of you who play in others backyard

i would always back severe punishment for these idiots.....

Where did you find evidence of his guilt? I admit, this is the first I've ever heard of him, but basing my reaction on what I've read, this is a terrible miscarriage of justice. I shudder to think it could happen to any of us...

Please bear with me and forgive my horrible english. No just kidding I ran it through an online dutch-english translator. The guy is a convicted felon. Commiting multiple robberies, fraude, abuse, drug related activities and even participating in a criminal organisation. What a coincidence. Also you (we) here only the dutch side of the story. Wait example. Its happening in the case of natalee holloway too. Dr. Phil is abusing his power to influence people into believing that its the dutch governments fault on how things goes. Hes twisting things, telling half truths and the people buy it.

Same same goes for our media. What do we hear? Machiel Kuyt is innocent, he didnt have coke, thailand is corrupt, its thailands fault. Do we hear hes a convicted fellon? Do we hear interviews with the thai people working on the case?

The article you quoted of the Dutch crime-fighter Peter R. de Vries is an old article and was discussed just 1 hour ago in a Dutch TV-program about the case of Machiel Kuijt.

The content of that article appear to be NOT TRUE and as a matter of fact the Dutch lawyer of Machiel Kuijt (a top-lawyer) explained that last year, BECAUSE of that particular article by De Vries, the family asked and RECEIVED an OFFICIAL declaration of the Dutch Government (Foreign and Justice department) by means of the Amsterdam Mayor Mr. Cohen, that Machiel Kuijt does NOT HAVE or HAD A CRIMINAL RECORD in The Netherlands AND THEREFORE IS NOT A 'CONVICTED FELON' as you describe it.

Please do not write things you have not researched and which are completely false.

Apart from that the content of said article has NOTHING, but NOTHING to do with the case in Thailand.

LaoPo

If you read the article by De Vries he does not say that Kuijt is a 'convicted felon' or that he had a criminal record. What he does say is that Kuijt is a known person by the police for numerous things since 1984(records before that were probably not kept because he was a minor), but never mentions being convicted. (maybe, just like in Thailand, he always had somebody else to take the fall or have them carry the drugs?)

What his article tried to point out is that he was and is a man of dubious character. The press, his family&lawyer etc. at the time were portraying him as a kind of saint who had never ever done anything wrong or harmed anybody and therefore IS innocent, Thailand was a terrible country for convicting him etc etc.

As he says in his article this does not mean Kuijt is guilty in Thailand, but people should be aware of his dubious past instead of some poor guy who was just over there who was wrongly convicted. His past and his ex-gf with drugs will make most people think a liitle different to the case, and that is exactly what his family and lawyer did not want anybody to do and made him out to be a saint who was just over there visiting his children.

As to the question if he's guilty or not? Only he can tell for sure....as for the rest of us....don't get involved with drugs or people who deal drugs in Thailand

Please bear with me and forgive my horrible english. No just kidding I ran it through an online dutch-english translator. The guy is a convicted felon. Commiting multiple robberies, fraude, abuse, drug related activities and even participating in a criminal organisation. What a coincidence. Also you (we) here only the dutch side of the story. Wait example. Its happening in the case of natalee holloway too. Dr. Phil is abusing his power to influence people into believing that its the dutch governments fault on how things goes. Hes twisting things, telling half truths and the people buy it.

Same same goes for our media. What do we hear? Machiel Kuyt is innocent, he didnt have coke, thailand is corrupt, its thailands fault. Do we hear hes a convicted fellon? Do we hear interviews with the thai people working on the case?

The article you quoted of the Dutch crime-fighter Peter R. de Vries is an old article and was discussed just 1 hour ago in a Dutch TV-program about the case of Machiel Kuijt.

The content of that article appear to be NOT TRUE and as a matter of fact the Dutch lawyer of Machiel Kuijt (a top-lawyer) explained that last year, BECAUSE of that particular article by De Vries, the family asked and RECEIVED an OFFICIAL declaration of the Dutch Government (Foreign and Justice department) by means of the Amsterdam Mayor Mr. Cohen, that Machiel Kuijt does NOT HAVE or HAD A CRIMINAL RECORD in The Netherlands AND THEREFORE IS NOT A 'CONVICTED FELON' as you describe it.

Please do not write things you have not researched and which are completely false.

Apart from that the content of said article has NOTHING, but NOTHING to do with the case in Thailand.

LaoPo

If you read the article by De Vries he does not say that Kuijt is a 'convicted felon' or that he had a criminal record. What he does say is that Kuijt is a known person by the police for numerous things since 1984(records before that were probably not kept because he was a minor), but never mentions being convicted. (maybe, just like in Thailand, he always had somebody else to take the fall or have them carry the drugs?)

What his article tried to point out is that he was and is a man of dubious character. The press, his family&lawyer etc. at the time were portraying him as a kind of saint who had never ever done anything wrong or harmed anybody and therefore IS innocent, Thailand was a terrible country for convicting him etc etc.

As he says in his article this does not mean Kuijt is guilty in Thailand, but people should be aware of his dubious past instead of some poor guy who was just over there who was wrongly convicted. His past and his ex-gf with drugs will make most people think a liitle different to the case, and that is exactly what his family and lawyer did not want anybody to do and made him out to be a saint who was just over there visiting his children.

As to the question if he's guilty or not? Only he can tell for sure....as for the rest of us....don't get involved with drugs or people who deal drugs in Thailand

Questioning his character is one thing. The rulings from a court of law are quite another.

This thread is about injustice, due to a legal system that has seemingly convicted a man with no evidence. This case is an example of a legal system being seen not to work within legal parameters that work elsewhere in the World - including other "similar" Asian countries.

The key evidence of "he must have known" would not be acceptable in any other country that claims to have a respectable legal system. Whether that country has harsh penalties on drungs or not (Singapore / Malaysia) is irrelevant, because we are discussing the evidence, not the sentencing structure.

Your last paragraph "only he can tell for sure" is also irrelevant. The court of law is burdened to prove this fact.

To the author; Thank you for this interesting thread.

Hi all,

Is he still in jail?

Just thinking of visiting him and have a talk.

Anyone knows visiting days/hours?

Kind regards,

Alex

As far as I know from the press he's still in jail and expected to be released early January 2007.

I think he will be pleased to have a visitor but I don't know which prison he is in but a call to the Dutch Embassy in BKK might help.

Cheers

LaoPo

• 2 months later...

UPDATE

Machiel Kuijt has been released yesterday from Bang Kwang prison (sp?)and arrived in The Netherlands this morning -Friday, March 9, 2007- almost 10 years after he was arrested and later sentenced to life.

For details, please look to the story from the beginning.

LaoPo

I wonder if any Dutch members could keep their eyes on the press over the near term. Mr Kuijt is bound to publish 'My life in hel_l ......etc ", so I would imagine Dutch investigative journalists will be on the case to check out his story. I hope he fades into obscurity, however, if the Thais were right, he may turn his hand to other things. Time will tell, it should be interesting.

I wonder if any Dutch members could keep their eyes on the press over the near term. Mr Kuijt is bound to publish 'My life in hel_l ......etc ", so I would imagine Dutch investigative journalists will be on the case to check out his story. I hope he fades into obscurity, however, if the Thais were right, he may turn his hand to other things. Time will tell, it should be interesting.

Thanks November Rain, it's indeed good news for him.

Suiging:

I just heard/saw the news tonight (Friday) and he departed BKK in silence since it appeared to be a 'part of the deal' from the Thai Justice department with the Dutch authorities. Both countries didn't want him to depart AND arrive with a lot of press and attention......

But, maybe there will be a follow-up in the media in The Netherlands as it was a high profile case, not in the least by his fierce denial that he had any knowledge of the drugs, carried by his ex-girlfriend and her brother which they both confirmed in court.

In fact he -Machiel Kuijt- was so determined and 'stubburn' that he refused to plead 'guilty' wich in fact could have sent him free already years ago.

On the other hand he might be silent (maybe requested by the Dutch authorities...who knows?) in order not to jeopardize (sp?) the other 12 Dutch inmates, still in Thailand, and the Dutch/Thai treaty signed last year.

LaoPo

I just saw the end of the thread as I was ready to post this. I wish him the best!

I found it a little ridiculous, that the ex was caught with the heroine and she got 33 years and he wasnt caught with anything and he got life :o

I just saw the end of the thread as I was ready to post this. I wish him the best!

I found it a little ridiculous, that the ex was caught with the heroine and she got 33 years and he wasnt caught with anything and he got life :o

What's really ridiculous is a certain poser who thinks he's a real estate magnate! :D

Edited by Boon Mee

Does Thailand not have a bit of a bone to pick where Dutch prisoners are concerned after some high level bankers kid was given a diplomatic passport to jump bail on drugs charges so the Dutch have to re-patriation treaty?

Anybody remember more than me about this?

Your in luck, his book was released the day after he arrived in the Netherlands.