Ethihad Airways

Jersey_UK

its no wonder that u get mixed signals, cause what I have learned from several FF-webboards, flying ETIHAD is like a lottery game.... everything possible from "smooth as smooth can be" up to "a real nightmare". their own fleet is very new, but to match the demand, they obviously still use a couple of old leased planes, where even the seating is different (so there might be some confusion when boarding). and the cabincrews seem to vary very much in quality and attitude. one GOOD thing I have learned from those boards is, that the occupancy seems to be very very low, from Abu Dhabi to Europe often much less than 50%, so, if u fancy an empty 4-seat-row to treat urself some sleep, that may be a good option..... and they give u 30 KG free luggage..... one reason for the low occupancy could be that they still didnt realize that its very hard to get into the market without providing a proper Frequent-Flyer system.....

I think if you do a search you should find a couple of thread's Etihad related.

My understanding is that you're closer with the Emirates example than the PA fella..... :D

Etihad Air

redrus

Ah yes.............. the search button............ oops! :o

I see what you mean.

Anybody Flown Etihad?

Hi Jersey UK

Done a couple of round trips to BKK with them, mainly because they go from Gatwick. On all occassions they have left on time service/food/entertainment has been good, their main plus point is that all the aircraft are new. (unlike Phuket Air) which I believe were 20+ years old.

I was confused as I thought that Emirates was the national airline however I now know that the UAE consists of 7 emirates and they all appear to be competing to spend the most cash and have the best airline e.g. Emirates, Qatar, Etihad and the old hand Gulf a/ws.

The one cloud on the horizon is that because of industrial trouble at Boeing some of their 777's have been delayed, this has meant leasing in aircraft which do not have such a generous seat pitch. :D

However this should be sorted by March.

Hope this helps

TBWG :D:D:D

Cheers folks.

Sounds good enuf for me...........the leasing planes probably explains my "mixed signals".

Low occupancy sounds good! (I had a row of 4 on Phuket Air!) - so at least somethng to hope for, and they have a cigarette break half way!

I was confused as I thought that Emirates was the national airline however I now know that the UAE consists of 7 emirates and they all appear to be competing to spend the most cash and have the best airline e.g. Emirates, Qatar, Etihad and the old hand Gulf a/ws.

Etihad Airlines market themselves as the national airline of the UAE. They're based in Abu Dhabi, while Emirates are based in Dubai.

Gulf Air used to be a true Gulf carrier with hubs in Bahrain, Qatar, Abu Dhabi and Muscat. Now Qatar Airways is growing like mad and established itself as a key player in the region, and Etihad "took over" Abu Dhabi, Gulf Air has been left with main hubs in Bahrain and Muscat.

Then there is also Oman Air, but they don't have as much money as the others...

I flew with them last July and had no probs. Service efficeint, lots of space and booze, and the food was better than expected. Only slight irritation (unless you're a nicotine addict), is the 2-3 hour stopover in AD at an ungodly hour. But getting into modern Gatwick instead of jurassic Terminal 3 Heathrow (which was filthy and like some 3rd world airport when i last went through with Thai) is a bonus that makes up for it. :o

I flew with them last July and had no probs. Service efficeint, lots of space and booze, and the food was better than expected. Only slight irritation (unless you're a nicotine addict), is the 2-3 hour stopover in AD at an ungodly hour. But getting into modern Gatwick instead of jurassic Terminal 3 Heathrow (which was filthy and like some 3rd world airport when i last went through with Thai) is a bonus that makes up for it. :o

I concur, fine apart from stop off in AD. Food was pretty good for an airline, film choice was pretty poor but that will be different now. You get what you pay for I suppose, not as good as BA or Thai airways but gets you from A-B. Best value flight I ever had from BKK was with Cathay Pacific - who were quoted as the cheapest and the service and facilities were very good. Had to go east a bit first to HK though!!