Non-imm. Visa Savannakhet, Laos?

:o I'm asking for a friend that must have non-imm O single entry next week. What is the whole picture for that obtaining in Savannakhet? He has Thai wife and Thai baby with his name and all the required bank and marriage papers, etc. He is 47 yrs old from Swiss. Can he obtain the Laos visa in Muktahan? Is there a bridge now in Muktahan to Laos? He'll take his car to Muktahan with wife and baby, then cross with them leaving vehicle in Muktahan. Is that advisable? If anybody out there can help with this he would appreciate it.

:o I'm asking for a friend that must have non-imm O single entry next week. What is the whole picture for that obtaining in Savannakhet? He has Thai wife and Thai baby with his name and all the required bank and marriage papers, etc. He is 47 yrs old from Swiss. Can he obtain the Laos visa in Muktahan? Is there a bridge now in Muktahan to Laos? He'll take his car to Muktahan with wife and baby, then cross with them leaving vehicle in Muktahan. Is that advisable? If anybody out there can help with this he would appreciate it.

Ron,

A friend of mine went with his wife to Savanakhet for a Non Imm visa last week and got it no probs from the consulate there.

Getting to Savanakhet is easy. If he is driving to Mukdahan tell him to get there early (around 8.30) and it is possible to park out the front of the ferry terminal there. Otherwise parking is available at a Wat directly opposite the ferry terminal. The bridge is not completed at this stage. It is 50 baht for the ferry trip across the river and when you get to the ferry terminal in Laos you can buy your Lao visa there (1500 baht). From there it is about 300 m to the consulate but the first time you will need to take a taxi (50 baht) to find the place. If you get to the consulate early enough they will issue you the visa in the afternoon.

Just make sure you have all the relevant papers for the baby as the officials in the thai ferry terminal frown on letting small kids go across. At least that was the case when I went across 18 months ago.