Small Car Prices / Advice

My wife has just got the Mitsubishi Mirage starts at 380k goes up to 546k. Problem for you may be delivery time. You may consider looking at repossessions and there are a lot of them around st the moment. The easiest mak to finde is Toyota who have set up second hand dealerships under the name 'Sure'. For others you may have to look up financial companies websites or find out where a local auction type sale is held.

Don't put gasohol in it. It breaks down.

No it doesn't. They just changed the fuel guage.....

sent from my Q6

My wife has just got the Mitsubishi Mirage starts at 380k goes up to 546k. Problem for you may be delivery time. You may consider looking at repossessions and there are a lot of them around st the moment. The easiest mak to finde is Toyota who have set up second hand dealerships under the name 'Sure'. For others you may have to look up financial companies websites or find out where a local auction type sale is held.

Don't put gasohol in it. It breaks down.

TC, did you forget that Mitsu made a recall of the Mirage and solved the issue? Your fixation borders on gratuitous trolling.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

If you're only moving back for half a year, you might want to rent instead of buying. You'd either get a nice deal on the same car for 6 months or, more interestingly, you could rent a different car each month. That would be fun. I'm half-way through reading a book 'You are not so smart' by David McRaney and there's a chapter about brand loyalty and the 'endowment effect' which causes everyone to prefer things they own over things they don't because they made rational choices when they bought them. I'm always curious about how much people really know about cars they pass up, instead of the ones they own. There's a limit to how much to learn about a car on a brief test-drive or trip, but renting one for a month would give you quite a full picture - just saying.

If you're only moving back for half a year, you might want to rent instead of buying. You'd either get a nice deal on the same car for 6 months or, more interestingly, you could rent a different car each month. That would be fun. I'm half-way through reading a book 'You are not so smart' by David McRaney and there's a chapter about brand loyalty and the 'endowment effect' which causes everyone to prefer things they own over things they don't because they made rational choices when they bought them. I'm always curious about how much people really know about cars they pass up, instead of the ones they own. There's a limit to how much to learn about a car on a brief test-drive or trip, but renting one for a month would give you quite a full picture - just saying.

Yeah, my dad always said "If you want the truth about a car, don't ask someone that has one, ask someone that had one"

Waiting time in Bangkok for the two models I am interested it:

K-Motors - Toyota Vios

- 50 year edition .... 2-3 days

- All others ... around 5 months

Rama IV Honda - Honda City

- December delivery

I'll be buying the City next week. I hate to spend so much, but we have a child on the way. It's time to say goodbye to the motorbike.

Waiting time in Bangkok for the two models I am interested it:

K-Motors - Toyota Vios

- 50 year edition .... 2-3 days

- All others ... around 5 months

Rama IV Honda - Honda City

- December delivery

I'll be buying the City next week. I hate to spend so much, but we have a child on the way. It's time to say goodbye to the motorbike.

You should keep the motorbike if you can. Doesn't use nearly the gas the car would for an errand to Big C for milk powder/diapers or for commuting to work. It's faster too with BKK traffic, which you will soon find out will drive you crazy now that you're getting a car (pardon my pun). crazy.gif

Edited by SoCalChris

• 2 weeks later...

Wait. Are you saying you're moving to thailand for 6 months and you want to buy a new car?

No.. for 6 months/year

Just look at one2car.com buy a nearly new 2nd hand car that already has white plates.. sorted.

sent from my Q6

Wait. Are you saying you're moving to thailand for 6 months and you want to buy a new car?

No.. for 6 months/year

Just look at one2car.com buy a nearly new 2nd hand car that already has white plates.. sorted.

sent from my Q6

Yep buy second hand, maybe an older toyota, but have it inspected first. LPG already fitted will save you some money too. After 6 months you could sell it for about what you paid, as depreciation on older vehicles is slow. The nissan sunny seems to last well on lpg too.

However, if you are planning on a few years here, buy new.

• 4 weeks later...

No im moving back for 6 months PER year!

Another one to consider is the Nissan Almera (400-500K THB range). It's a practical sedan with CVT that received a good write-up in the US auto magazines. It's built on the same platform as the March and the interior/trunk space approaches that of the larger Altima (Teana in TL).

I'd go for the Ford Fiesta for its styling though. They look pretty cool to me. cool.png

Amara looks pretty cool you saying 400k for an automatic? Is it totally underpowered?

Yes, from a financial perspective, the Almera is the coolest. thumbsup.gif About it being underpowered, for me it probably would be, but for my wife who does not like my "assertive" driving style, she would be happy as a clam. tongue.png It'll depend on your preference and a test drive is a must.

In all fairness, the CVT transmission makes the most out of the 1.2L engine's output over that of a standard geared auto tranny. For full throttle, the CVT will adjust itself to keep the engine rpm close to its peak hp output. It's kind of a weird sensation when you are used to a gear transmissions where the engine rpms rise and then fall with the gear change. Spirited part throttle driving; the engine will go close to its peak torque rpm. Driving like a pu$$y will keep the rpms very low for fuel efficiency. FWIW, I don't know anything personally about the latter way to drive........sorry! wink.png

my wifes micra is a 1.4 i think might even be a 1.6 definatley not a 1.2 and it seems like you have to rev the crap out of it all the time to get anywhere and im not a fast driver the 1.2 must be awful?

Small cars, specialy "market cars" like Toyota Honda, etc are never cheap. They are expensive. There is no way to find a cheap Toyota Vios or a cheap Honda City. If like to buy cheap, have to consider a older car 15 to 20 years old, but than again, they need allways repairs. For a cheap car (under 200'k) have to spend again at least 20 to 30'k to make it right.