Proper Clothing

kerryk

I hope you don’t mind me asking a question in the ladies forum but it is a ladies question. My 20 year old daughter is coming to visit. She comes from a part of the world where it is hot year round and very casual. She rarely wears a bra. I asked a couple of Thai women of my acquaintance about that and they told me that not wearing a bra was offensive to Thai people. Is that accurate information?

Thank you

I think that what thai people ( people in general) will find offensive ifd that in not wearing a bra her nipples will be more visible & any major movement whilst she walks (I think you know my meaning, bounce :D ) will mean that she will get a LOT of attention & not the good kind.

This probably isn't something you want to discuss but if your daughter has big boobs then a bra is a definate yes (at any time) but if they are small &, erm, firm, she may get away without one without others knowing but would probably be best if she invest in one anyway just to prevent any unknown offense whist visiting Thailand. :D How you raise this to her is another thread entirely I think :o

She should also be aware that not wearing a bra daily after the age of 13 years old pretty much guarantees she is going to have saggy boobs when older, as even if they are small & pert now, the drag of gravity & weight of the fat will stretch & skin & make the muscle underneath sag :D Not good.

A few Thai women are going bra-less which is seen as fairly provocative for them. Funny thing is that drugstores are now selling nipple stickers, which are to prevent nipple sightings when women go without bras. It is still really, really taboo to see any sign of a nipple so these plasters cover up the offending area. :o

Here is an article about a boobs in fashion controversy a few years ago:

Thai fashion show

I think that what thai people ( people in general) will find offensive ifd that in not wearing a bra her nipples will be more visible & any major movement whilst she walks (I think you know my meaning, bounce :o ) will mean that she will get a LOT of attention & not the good kind.

Boo is right on here. It's not a bra issue, but movement of the breasts and the visibility of the nipples. It may not take much to remidy the situation - wearing a loose, opaque blouse over the tight clothing might do it...

Thank you ladies that is fascinating. I will forward the information to my daughter. I have 4. The youngest one has decided to visit dad to see if he is really as crazy for living in Thailand as the rest of my family thinks I am. I live in Chiang Mai. A lot of Western woman tourists here. The backpacker types and older women. They all seem so culturally aware and so politically correct I would have never imagined that they would go braless in the face of Thai cultural prohibitions. I know about the feet things and long pants and heads and so on but bras never occurred to me. Of course I realized I had never seen a Thai woman without a bra but it just never clicked. Again thank you for the information.

not just bras;

thai bf and other thai men friends have a thing about too low cleavage as in open buttons/v necks also... i'm small small breasted (boo, no bra til age of 43 and no sag... just thai men perversity asking : did u put on underwear? --as in bra they mean) and my shirts are always getting the higher up button buttoned or the sweater zipped higher.... maybe to keep my 'respectable woman/matron' reputation as opposed to the dreaded 'russian working woman' reputation...just the tip of the iceberg by the way... white shirts with red bra (no no); skirt w/o slip (no no) tank top (no no)... and im not even in thailand...i may soon have to do khun ying tall hair!!!

Very sensible topic! I only wish I’d asked for opinions before my 18 and 20 yo daughters fronted up. Their clothing was completely inappropriate for normal Thai culture:- Very short skirts, very short cut down jeans, skimpy tops, and the like. One of the 1st things I did was get them into Robinsons.

The Thai girls who work in my building wear all those things to work!

That's when they are not wearing their black lace cocktail dresses.

Of course others are very conservatively dressed, but the others do not seem to be looked down upon.

The Thai girls who work in my building wear all those things to work!

Of course others are very conservatively dressed, but the others do not seem to be looked down upon.

Funny thing about that, isn't it? Actually, the short skirt and low cut jeans have been accepted as "fashion that comes and goes" since the 1960's. The skimpy tops are looked at sort of the same way if they are not too revealing, and depending on where and how they are worn.

Thai cultures, as in many others, are very complicated. How you are looked at on clothing issue is actually based on who you are, what job you have, etc. There are many unspoken "codes" that are hard for people looking in to understand. Wearing the same style, one woman might be seen as artsy, fun-loving, while another might be looked at as a hussy.

Foreign women are looked at quite differently due to the stereotyping that came from media hype - that most foreigners go by a different moral standard. When in Thailand, it's all about how you want to be seen as - respectible, risque, classy, etc.

I am glad to see that folks like kerryk, bdenner, and bina's significant other care enough about their loved ones to want to present them in the best light possible in a society with such complex sexuality issues....

• 2 weeks later...

Kerryk,

Hi it also depends very much on where you are. BKK Thais are much more liberal of course. Myself and some other posters here live in mainly Muslim areas - please advise loose clothing that covers the WHOLE body and not see through. Head, hands, and feet ok. On the beach it is acceptable in quiet areas to wear a swimsuit. It is highly offensive when farangs flaunt themselves here and the locals give no respect. At night it is easier as you are in a restaurant or bar so a sleeveless top is okay as is a decent lengthed skirt etc

LOL. That made me laugh! At the school I worked in the first lesson of the day was 7.50 am. All the mums would be dropping off their kids at 7.30 am dressed in cocktail dresses.

You start to feel underdressed. So when in Rome..... :o

LOL. That made me laugh! At the school I worked in the first lesson of the day was 7.50 am. All the mums would be dropping off their kids at 7.30 am dressed in cocktail dresses.

You start to feel underdressed. So when in Rome..... :o

That sounds very much like the school I work in! Cocktail dresses, shiny clothes, full makeup not to mention 5 inch stillettos. I wonder what time they wake up in the morning to get ready? :D

Edited by sylvafern

Please forgive me if this is rude and uncalled for, but am I the only one who thinks Papa Kerry is a bit of a pervert???

Why dont you mind your business what your 20 year old daughter is wearing to cover (or not cover) her breasts! Shes a grown girl now, I think she can dress herself in any manner which she feels appropriate.

Please forgive me if this is rude and uncalled for, but am I the only one who thinks Papa Kerry is a bit of a pervert???

Why dont you mind your business what your 20 year old daughter is wearing to cover (or not cover) her breasts! Shes a grown girl now, I think she can dress herself in any manner which she feels appropriate.

I don´t think he is a pervert...I find his question quite reasonable.

And many people should ask that question before going to a muslim area or country.

I don´t think he is a pervert...I find his question quite reasonable.

And many people should ask that question before going to a muslim area or country.

Well its called Respect of another culture! :o

K'Lovesun - many young adults know only so much. To have a parent who cares enough to ask about appropriateness of clothing when visiting a foreign country to make sure that a daughter would both learn to respect the culture as well as to be respected by others of that culture, should be most admirable.

IMHO, those of us who have such caring parents may or may not appreciate that fact right away as some things may seem intrusive during the years that we are pushing for independence to become a grown individual on own terms. However, in the long run, most would likely find it a blessing to be so loved......

K'Lovesun - many young adults know only so much. To have a parent who cares enough to ask about appropriateness of clothing when visiting a foreign country to make sure that a daughter would both learn to respect the culture as well as to be respected by others of that culture, should be most admirable.

I agree. If I were her I'd be grateful that somebody gave me such advice so I don't arrive in a foreign country to find the locals looking at me like a slut.

Okay, fair enough you guys, I get that Dad wasn't trying to step over certain inappropraite boundaries with his question. I guess I would be upset if my Dad was giving me advice on how to cover my breasts when I was 20, or any other age. I guess I was raised properly to know how to be modest in any situation, especially in a muslim country or somewhere where I may offend.

Britmaveric I love your example of what not to wear in Thailand! I think thats an international fahion No No!!

Okay, fair enough you guys, I get that Dad wasn't trying to step over certain inappropraite boundaries with his question. I guess I would be upset if my Dad was giving me advice on how to cover my breasts when I was 20, or any other age. I guess I was raised properly to know how to be modest in any situation, especially in a muslim country or somewhere where I may offend.

Britmaveric I love your example of what not to wear in Thailand! I think thats an international fahion No No!!

Except within the boundaries of my home where any female visitors are quite welcome to come that way attired. :o