Holiday Gifts For Thai Staff?

Tiger7Moth

I am posting this in the Pattaya section because I live here (actually Naklua) and it is a tourist area - so, I short period of time for Thai's to get some baht to last for the year. I lived in Issan for a couple of years - not the same at all.

Anyway, the Chirtmas/New Year time is almost upon us. The small hotel I live in (and expect to live in for a long time, many months) has a sign over the entrance in Thai language that says Happy New Year in Thai (I can read a bit of Thai, but, not very much). So, there are 5 people who work here, a manager who lost half his leg in a car accident (and plays it up quite well - as in, he doesn't seem to do anything but, his daughter comes in a couple of nights a week and does his work), a "house" cleaner, a room cleaner (I clean my own room) and a security guard (who seems to never sleep and is always smiling and helpful).

To give some persepective, I pay 12,000 baht a month for my 'suite'.

So, not wanting to offend anyone, I appreciate the manager's daughter the most - she has been the most helpful to me, the security guard second, as I said, seems to never sleep, always smiling, very nice guy - the house cleaner ??? the room cleaner - I clean my own room... the manager, I would give 0 but, I expect this would be culturally inappropriate in Thailand.

So, any input, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. biggrin.png

I think all will be happy with cash, for managers daughter you can get some perfume .

All depends how much you want to spend.

Just out of curiosity how much people give to their staff?

I usually give mine 1000 for happy new year( people who worked longer) and 500 for the ones who just started

Why bother, the Thai people do not celebrate Christmas as we do in the west (25th Dec is a normal school day this year), are you planning to give gifts for Chinese new year and Songkran too - as these holidays are far more important to them.

Just get the daughter some nice sexy underwear, give the security guard some whiskey, nothing for the others.

Really, I would just be polite to them, and "Merry Christmas" and "Happy New Year". I will give our guards some cookies or something like that. As you said about your guard, ours never seem to sleep, but then are they doing their job, I really dont know. Once you fall into the "give everyone a present" thing, its hard to get out of. If you do decide to give something, just give them something they can share, like a cake.

Just get the daughter some nice sexy underwear, give the security guard some whiskey, nothing for the others.

Really, I would just be polite to them, and "Merry Christmas" and "Happy New Year". I will give our guards some cookies or something like that. As you said about your guard, ours never seem to sleep, but then are they doing their job, I really dont know. Once you fall into the "give everyone a present" thing, its hard to get out of. If you do decide to give something, just give them something they can share, like a cake.

Maybe Ya Ice would be more appropriate for the security gaurd if he's always awake.

Me, i'd wish them all the best and give them NOTHING.