Mukdahan - The Waterfront, Song Fung Khong Restaurant

curlywatt

Hi guys and gals, will be traveling around the region in january, i don't eat thai food so i'm trying to get a heads up on places i can eat good westen food, searching the net and found the above place, any have any experience of same, other places i'll be looking for some info on are Ubon, Nakhon Phanon, Sakon Nakhon, Udon Thani & Nong Khai. Will the be heading across the border to Vientaine for a few day, all comments and recommendations appreciated, happy xmas to all TV members, thanks alan

I know I should refrain from biting but I just can't help myself and half to ask..... you want to travel around Issan but do not eat Thai food. Why?

Okay, now that it is out of my system I am happy to answer your question, at leasts for Mukdahan and Ubon Ratchathani.

The waterfront in Mukdahan is one of the best places for Western food around. A great host, a fantastic view and food that is excellent.

In Ubon there are quite a few choices. Do some searching on places like Peppers Bakery and Cafe, Spago, TC Kitchen, N Joy, Wrong Way cafe, Risotto. There is also rubbish like KFC, McDonalds and Jeffers.

Hope this helps.

In Udon you are spoilt for choice as there are many restaurants serving western food.

A selection...

Bookhouse & Coffee Shop, Irish Clock, Chris's Place, City Lodge hotel, Papa Farang's bakery and Kinaree for British.

Papa Gallo, Picollo Roma, Coppies House and Little Italian for Italian.

Nobi's for German.

Bubba's Bar & Grill for American.

International buffets at the Centara and Prajaktra hotels.

Aribaba for Indian, Middle East and Mexican.

www.call4eats.com for take away delivered to your hotel.

Thanks steve, doing some research and figure i'll be ok in Mukdahan, Ubon & Udon. Still question marks about Nong Khai, Nakhon Phanon, Sakon Nakhon. MeMock i'm doing this trip for the GF, it's not all about me. I could easily stay in Phuket and get my fill of Western food, but i like to give a little in a relationship.

Enjoy eating your cardboard with tomato sauce.

Going not only to Thailand but into Issan and cant eat the food. Unless its because a doctor told you to not eat it, then I feel sorry for you.

Try 711.

There's always a 7-11 in desperate moments of hunger. You can't eat any Thai food? What's your experience with Thai food so far? Most sit down restaurants have a huge variety of food. Nakhon Phanom and Nong Khai will be your biggest challenges.

The Waterfront is one of my favorite restaurants in all of Thailand. Ubon has a wonderful new McDonalds establishment. :)

There's always a 7-11 in desperate moments of hunger. You can't eat any Thai food? What's your experience with Thai food so far? Most sit down restaurants have a huge variety of food. Nakhon Phanom and Nong Khai will be your biggest challenges.

The Waterfront is one of my favorite restaurants in all of Thailand. Ubon has a wonderful new McDonalds establishment. smile.png

thanks for your reply, no can't eat thai, chinese, indian, japanese, etc..... just western food, i even went to hypnosis 12 years ago, back then wouldn't eat western food once i was outside ireland or england. this thread is about looking for decent western food in the places i mentioned in the op. i'm not looking for replies like "why come to thailand if you don't like thai food" , i come here because i like the place and the climate, i'd appreciate if mods could delete any post refeering to "why come to thailand if you don't like thai food"

Nongkhai.

Mut Mee Guesthouse on the western end of the river road sells western food as does Pantawee hotel to the left of Mut Mee going back inland. I am sure there are other places in Nong Khai. It is a shame you cannot eat Asian food as there is some good Vietnamese food in NK.

Search for and have a look at the Nongkhai forum

Sit down Thai restaurants can usually do breaded chicken on rice and sometimes french fries. How about a plain omelette? Rice soup is very bland. Can you eat garlic? Get garlic chicken on rice. Also very basic. Just a few ideas.

Edited by ubonrthai

As MeMock suggested in Mukdahan there is The Waterfront, you can check out the Menu at www.mukdahan-manor.com it is also a great place to stay when passing through Muk and right on the rivers edge. The Restaurant has won The Best Restaurant Award in 2011 & 2012 presented by the Governor in conjunction with the Health Department of Mukdahan Province. It has the most extensive menu for 100's of kilometres, and the best views of the Mekong River. You can dine inside in airconditioned comfort or outside by the pool overlooking the river.