Awful Food & Management

jreidy

Christmas Day a party of us had a buffet lunch at **a restaurant in** Jomtien.

The food was horrible, there were long queues for the carvery (20 mins) even thought there were not that many people eating.

The starters consisted of prawn cocktails (two prawns & a bit of shredded lettuce) and various thai bits all dry and looked like they had come from a street vendor. The turkey was dry, beef over done and stringy ham. The gravy was unbelievable bad. Christmas pudding was literally a teaspoon of dried pudding ...looked like bird pooh. All for the sum of 999 baht. It did include one drink. We were given a half a glass of sparkling wine each. Some tables had table clothes, many not.

I can honestly say that it was the worst food I have had in 5 years of living here.

I talked to the waiting staff who said that the place had gone downhill over the past couple of years but is now getting rapidly worse.

This place is below third rate. Management is non existent...

Edited by sbk
name and shame not allowed
  • Like 1

This situation is representative of over charging farangs and their guest for low class food, service and management. Let this be a lesson to those who wish to patronize a place with bad management. You can do etter at another place. People who manage their business like this will ultimately loose all of their customers.

• Like 2

All western food in Thailand is garbage, even the so called high end stuff is crap. Go the Thai food next Xmas

That's ridiculous and simply untrue.

Mind you I had khapow moo so maybe I will shut up now. :D

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 1

"I talked to the waiting staff who said that the place had gone downhill over the past couple of years but is now getting rapidly worse"

Too bad you didn't talk to them before trotting along with a party.

Places that have gone downhill for such a long time, are usually noted.

All western food in Thailand is garbage, even the so called high end stuff is crap. Go the Thai food next Xmas

Disagree.There are places with excellent Western food in Thailand.The food I get most dissapointed with here is in fact the Thai food,especially in tourist areas sad.png ,a lot of crap being dished out there.

• Like 1

There are places with excellent Western food in Thailand.

IMO, excellent is going too far. There is some decent Western food here, but very little that would pass muster in a good restaurant in Paris, Rome, San Francisco or New Orleans.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

That's ridiculous and simply untrue.

Mind you I had khapow moo so maybe I will shut up now. biggrin.png

Not all, but truly hard to find "of good quality".

• 2 weeks later...

It does kind of seem a shame that Thai Visa is so censored on subjects like this. I am not sure why, but I do understand it is a private website, so be it. But it would be nice to know who to avoid as owners change very often in Thai tourist places.

Edited by Terry Newman

It does kind of seem a shame that Thai Visa is so censored on subjects like this. I am not sure why, but I do understand it is a private website, so be it. But it would be nice to know who to avoid as owners change very often in Thai tourist places.

you need to be a bit more how to say 'discreet'. Instead of naming said establishment, just say, that big restaurant with xx colour sign selling pub grub located on the corner of Jomtien Soi xx.

Absolutely 100% correct. My expectations have sunk so low that whenever I order western food here, I'm very content if I even receive a reasonable simulation of decent quality food. The western food served in "5 star" establishments here for obscene prices, is generally worse than what I would get in a chain/franchise restaurant back home.

To everyone who disagrees, please prove me wrong by telling us where you've had excellent western food. I'd love to be proven wrong, and I would enjoy testing anyone's claims. I certainly haven't sampled everything out there, I just gave up after about 100 bad experiences over the last few years.

Next time enjoy xmas - in England

Sorry the Thais could not serve and deliver your imported, weird food you were so in need of to your neo colonial satisfaction.

Jomtien, ah the haute cuisine opportunities just are endless

English, complaining about food. This is a first for me 20 years in Asia.

I'm torn by the cynicism of your post.

Trouble is I loathe roast dinners too.

Oh well.

To everyone who disagrees, please prove me wrong by telling us where you've had excellent western food.

Cherries in Pattaya is not bad. I'm not sure that I would say excellent, but some dishes are very good. Goose's Fish and Chips is very good too.

In Chiang Mai, some dishes at the Duke's are really good and many of the the baked goods at Butter is Better are as good as a decent bakery in the West.

Absolutely 100% correct. My expectations have sunk so low that whenever I order western food here, I'm very content if I even receive a reasonable simulation of decent quality food. The western food served in "5 star" establishments here for obscene prices, is generally worse than what I would get in a chain/franchise restaurant back home.

To everyone who disagrees, please prove me wrong by telling us where you've had excellent western food. I'd love to be proven wrong, and I would enjoy testing anyone's claims. I certainly haven't sampled everything out there, I just gave up after about 100 bad experiences over the last few years.

In my own kitchen! If you go to Kansas and order pacific salmon what would you expect. If you go to a seafood restaurant in Seattle and order prime rib what would you expect. If you go to Tokyo and order Paella, what would yopu expect? If you come to Thailand and order western food...oh well! I've been to a restaurant maybe 10 times in the last 5 years, only ever thought of ordering Thai food, why would you order something else and expect it to be up to your standards?

Pretentious nonsense.

Patrick

I agree. Enjoyed some excellent Western food all over town, most notably at the Marriott.

• 2 weeks later...