Anyone Else Like Snakes ?

I find snakes fascinating. We are lucky to live on a 6 rai plantation with a river bordering it, so we regularly have scaled visitors. We get 3 or 4 species quite often and an occasional misfit (cobra).

Yesterday I found a beautiful Rat Snake about 1.2 meter long. Managed to catch it and show it to the MIL, trying to educate her that not all snakes are poisonous :)

This is the only type that I will try to catch though, as they are easy to identify.

I never get too close to the cobras but try to move them away before anyone else sees them and WHACK...

Must admit that since we have had guinea fowl and geese on the property, my snake sightings have decreased !!!

Must remember to keep a camera in my pocket though...

That's all...

• Like 2

Yep, I'm fascinated too.

When I lived in West Africa (West Africans, generally, are very superstitious about snakes and will not go near them), my mate would go crazy when we were driving in the bush and I would stop to have a good look at a snake. One day a huge python was crossing the path just ahead of us and I stopped to have a look; he grabbed hold of me and begged me not to get out!

I maintain a healthy respect though smile.png

Snakes have no concept of "Just mutual respect " you are either prey or a threat.

So, as humans are not a prey species to snakes, they will not try to eat us.

If you do not actively threaten a snake, they will ignore you or move away.

So what is the problem with them?

• Like 1

So what is the problem with them?

I'm totally happy that snakes fill a space in the food-chain, they eat what they eat and our paths seldom cross. However when one strays outside it's domain and into mine it is a threat. At that point it can leave quickly or it will be killed.

I have good eyesight usually wear sturdy shoes/boots (yes I check for scorpions first) and generally see snakes while out in the farmed land or countryside around the village. I often see water snakes and we get the odd keel-back near the house from time to time, these are easily identified and I can catch them without causing harm and release them well away from the house which has young children, elderly MIL poor eyesight and a selection of animals. A week or so before my encounter below my wife and I sat watching a pit viper in a nearby tree while eating breakfast - that was close enough but not a threat, as far as I know it's still in the coconut trees and bamboo at the back of the house. The snake (King Cobra?) below was too interested in sacks of rice and one of our dogs, it re-entered to food chain as ant food.

Here's one I killed earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot say that I like snakes very much, but I have seen that when I respect them they respect me.

Most of the snakes in the garden (and sometimes in between the sealing) are the quit harmless Golden Tree Snake or ornate flying snake, once I met a Python in the garden (evening) praying at the dogs and three times a Cobra sneaked into the house and as long you respect them they respect you. The biggest problem is the surprise-encounter where the snake feels heavily threatened. Only for the Cobra I phoned the rescue-services to get rid of him but the last one I even couldn't find anymore because he sneeked into some open space in the kitchen............ Now I made a snake-catcher myself. The Python is quit common, even in BKK-city as I have seen them various times, also down On Nut BTS. I am living in the suburbs so I have to live with them as with the frequent Malayan Water Monitor Lizard (hea wink.png).

Depends on the snake. We used to have peachface parrots (lovebirds), heard all hell break loose one night and discovered a two and a half metre python hanging down the front of their cage. I managed to lift it with a metal bar and shoo it away but it went into the ceiling where we heard it slithering around for about the next month or so. It didn't bother the birds again but the pitter patter of the possum in the ceiling disappeared.

He/she was not a worry to us but the one metre Aussie brown snake we found in my daughter's bedroom was a very nasty piece of work when I tried ushering it with a broom. It eventually took off through the garage and was never seen again. What did I learn? - Do not poke Australian brown snakes, it was pretty silly and they don't like it.

Edited by Songhua

So sorry to hear that!!! I know how you feel!

One of them I have seen in On Nut had a very big tommy so he had his meal already: a rat, a small cat, a small dog? who knows

Amazing looking snake. I know the area well, but never saw a snake there. Plenty of rats though.

Depends on the snake. We used to have peachface parrots (lovebirds), heard all hell break loose one night and discovered a two and a half metre python hanging down the front of their cage. I managed to lift it with a metal bar and shoo it away but it went into the ceiling where we heard it slithering around for about the next month or so. It didn't bother the birds again but the pitter patter of the possum in the ceiling disappeared.

He/she was not a worry to us but the one metre Aussie brown snake we found in my daughter's bedroom was a very nasty piece of work when I tried ushering it with a broom. It eventually took off through the garage and was never seen again. What did I learn? - Do not poke Australian brown snakes, it was pretty silly and they don't like it.

Yikes! Brown snakes are best left to the experts. The common brown is the number 2 most toxic in the world. Even more than the coastal taipan.
  • Like 1

So sorry to hear that!!! I know how you feel!

One of them I have seen in On Nut had a very big tommy so he had his meal already: a rat, a small cat, a small dog? who knows

Amazing looking snake. I know the area well, but never saw a snake there. Plenty of rats though.

Food enough as there are thousands of rats roaming around the Sukhumvit-sewers. These two were hiding under the flower-boxes which are bordering the small "market" in between the BTS-stairs and Tesco at 18:47h........... After being surprised by the many on-lookers they sneaked back again in their hide-out under one of the pots.

I think soi-kitties are very fulnerable for snakes and soi-dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes also we like Snake even when we have a big Aviary.

Here some pictures I made

and thank to all members who help me to find the names thumbsup.gif

DSC00009.JPG

Striped Kukri Snake (Oligodon taeniatus)
a harmless little snake with no venom.

DSC00007.JPG

Oriental Rat Snake

and the back site , About 2 mtr.

DSC00008.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

Common Bronzeback Snake

And this one we find under the computer table

Here the Rainbow snake.

excellent find & photo..! thumbsup.gif ...it's actually a Sunbeam Snake, Xenopeltis unicolor, but the lovely 'rainbow' iridescence to the scales does beg an official name change i feel.

don't come across this particular species too often.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

When the rain get less , the snakes going around again

I find already some baby snakes (10 cm) in the Aviary but this morning one of the parents

The Golden Tree Snake Chrysopelea ornata ornatissima (Golden Tree Snake)
Thai: (ngu kieo lai dok mak)

The Golden Tree Snake is found throughout Thailand ,downtown BKK and Pattaya (about 1.40 cm) as a meal they Geckos and other lizards,
They are very fast and sometimes you can find them at home, they can climb walls, and are very active during the day, when they are threatened and can not escape they will bite directly, their poison is mild
Our Aviary;
DSCN0534.JPG
DSCN0532.JPG
DSCN0533.JPG