Cbr 250 - Shifter Stuck

KRS1

Just a heads up, I went to Doi Inthanon today and on the way down the shift lever wouldn't return to center after shifting.

Started thinking the worse, then pulled over and had a tug with the wrench, nope the whole lever would turn with the screw.

The main shift lever mounting arm was rusted and caused too much friction and wouldn't return to center. When shifting down it would stay down, when shifting up it would stay up...I had to nudge it back to center in order to shift, going into a corner doing this is not fun !

Sorted at Somchai's garage for 30 baht.

The red boxes show the point im talking about, once its been removed...thats not my had by the way, pulled pic from the net.

Bike has 18k kilos and is a 2011.

Just want to give a heads up because this WILL be a common fault in the future for CBR 250's...So dont let the dealer screw you and tell you its something bigger than it really is.

shitty_honda_materials.jpg

I guess its safe to say that such things are the dealers fault if the bike had all services. Such things should be checked at services and lubricated with a decent water resistant grease when needed. But most mechanics will probably just drop some old oil on it that get washed away in the next rain.

I sometimes wonder how little grease was used on my CRB150. I had to re-grease some common parts already after just a half year. I will check the shifter now too :)

Just a heads up, I went to Doi Inthanon today and on the way down the shift lever wouldn't return to center after shifting.

Started thinking the worse, then pulled over and had a tug with the wrench, nope the whole lever would turn with the screw.

The main shift lever mounting arm was rusted and caused too much friction and wouldn't return to center. When shifting down it would stay down, when shifting up it would stay up...I had to nudge it back to center in order to shift, going into a corner doing this is not fun !

The red boxes show the point im talking about, once its been removed...thats not my had by the way, pulled pic from the net.

Just want to give a heads up because this WILL be a common fault in the future for CBR 250's...So dont let the dealer screw you and tell you its something bigger than it really is.

KRS1, i m not sure what did you buy in what condition. Mine is on 21k and had no problems on pegs actually, i dont have any problems with my cbr250 so far. Not even a glitch and i rode it very very hard.

So your generalization on problems regarding cbr250 does not work.

Are you sure you bought a bike in a good condition? Hope they did not sell you a dropped/cooked one.

Edited by loserlazer

Said and done. Greased the shifter shaft on my CBR150 smile.png

post-129800-0-09360500-1361617600_thumb.

Don't think this has something to do with a bad condition of the bike. There isn't much grease on the shifter-shaft and it easily get washed out in rain rides or when cleaned with a high pressure washer.

• Like 1

KRS1, i m not sure what did you buy in what condition. Mine is on 21k and had no problems on pegs actually, i dont have any problems with my cbr250 so far. Not even a glitch and i rode it very very hard.

So your generalization on problems regarding cbr250 does not work.

Are you sure you bought a bike in a good condition? Hope they did not sell you a dropped/cooked one.

Not talking about the pegs, im talking about the gear shift lever pivot.

This bike probably didnt have enough grease on the lever pivot when it was assembled, simple as that.

The oil filter was probably changed and the old gasket was probably used, hence the leak

But there is no excuse for the seal leaking at the front sprocket.

Maybe the Honda guy that put together my bike drank too much Leo the night before...who knows.

attachicon.gifshifter_cbr150.jpg

Don't think this has something to do with a bad condition of the bike. There isn't much grease on the shifter-shaft and it easily get washed out in rain rides or when cleaned with a high pressure washer.

what are you doing with snap ring pliers? ermm.gif

Said and done. Greased the shifter shaft on my CBR150 :)

what are you doing with snap ring pliers? :ermm:

Looks like he is removing a snap ring ! :)

what are you doing with snap ring pliers? ermm.gif

He did say he was doing his cbr150 so the setup might be a little different.

But even on the 250 it has to be free to move so they must use something like a snap ring at the end of the shaft or do they use a bolt?

Also I think LL mentioned pegs because the shaft that holds the shifter looks to be part of the rearsets/pegs assembly?

If so & it rusted as you said I wonder what materials the two parts are made of & if dissimilar at all causing oxidation?

At the very least I would hope it is not just iron/steel to iron/steel

That looks like the perfect place for a bronze sleeve bushing of some sort...or something at least since it is a high use

area with every shift being a movement against both parts

Edited by mania